OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 22:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2018, 12:20 

Still working on my looping and I came across a series of videos on YouTube from yunpeng guo, and as would be imagined, I cant understand them, but he does demonstrate a lot of instruction.

In this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U336RKal4k&t=1068s he shows a forehand looping style that I have been working on, and it does help quite a bit.

My question, and perhaps this has been asked before, is the long backswing he takes which seems to be typical to the Chinese style. How do you manage to do this, recover, and get back in postition for a quickly returned ball when you are close to the table. Is this just a matter of moving faster? I am pretty athletic for my age (61) and tried this today, and it works, but to get back into position is a bit of a struggle. Is a shorter, or bent arm better for me, or can I make this work. Thanks for your input!

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2018, 14:20 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Torso movement and later on footwork

As you get better, you'll find that you have a lot more time when setting up the shot than you feel like you do now.

Partially because you are still thinking about your shot - backswing, swing, make contact, followthrough, ready, etc. When you start thinking

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2018, 12:29 

Hi, and I certainly understand your question. I watch a lot of videos from him, and I am clueless on what he is saying (although some of them have subtitles if you look) and am very familiar with the video you reference.

I am also of a similar age (62), and I have wondered about the same thing- bent arm, long arm loops. From my experience, its the legs that drive the swing, or more precisely for me, the knees and how they shift back and forth. He has another video somewhere where he shows what the knees do during the back/forward swing, and that was a break through for me.

I would also work on your legs in the gym to make sure they are strong and you are able to make the athletic motion he is talking about, and if you keep your arm bent for a while, so be it.

I am going to post a question I have about a variation of technique I notice by Ma Long (which by no means suggests I should replicate his swing. Its an observation, though.

Have fun playing!

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2019, 19:37 

Blade: Pingskills touch
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Yinhe Moon Pro
Good video. Notice his racquet never moves beyond the center of his torso. From his loop end, all he has to do to recover to neutral is center his torso (which will rebalance weight between his legs) and bring the racquet down a bit.

From neutral, to prepare next loop, he bends the knees, twists the torso and loads up weight to his rear leg. All of these movements are quick and energy-efficient. If he wants an extra backswing, it’s just a small shoulder movement because he is already coiled up using waist twist and knee bend.

If you’ve correctly positioned yourself an arm’s length from the ball, straighten your arm and us the fully-extended swing loop. If you’re a bit close to the ball, keep the elbow a bit bent and don’t make a big backswing. As long as you’ve gotten low with the knee bend, twisted your torso and loaded weight onto your rear leg, you’ve got a solid loop prepared. You will untwist your torso and shift weight to the front leg, bring the arm around with your waist.

Point is dont think of loop as “swing arm all the way around, then swing all the way back, using the shoulder.” Looping like this will often leave you without time. Use your waist and legs to swing the arm. Use your waist and legs to bring your racquet back.

Also, make sure you don’t retrace the big arm swing on the way back to your next loop. Just twist the waist and bring your arm down. I know a guy has these good full arm swing loops but he retraces the same loop path on the way back with his arm extended, bad habit that often leaves him without time.

Also, I hear him mention “Yin Pai” in the video. Coach EmRatThich has a good explanation of this TT philosophy for shot preparation if you check out his site or youtube video.

Hope this helps and makes sense. If it doesn’t its probably because Im deliriously tired.