OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 15:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2017, 08:28 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
From time to time I face players who can produce very heavy, aggressive pushes with inverted rubbers.

I don't get anywhere near that kind of underspin on my pushes (forehand or backhand when I twiddle). What are some tips for getting max underspin?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2017, 11:18 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate II
FH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
BH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
Try flicking your wrist at the moment of contact with the ball.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2017, 11:46 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Agreed.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2017, 11:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
Push through the ball with an open blade. Do not go "up" but forward and slightly down. Work with a partner and start off very aggressively and titrate accordingly.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2017, 13:29 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
I have never really thought about this - but if I want a heavier push, my bat starts at say 30 degrees, then slides down the back/bottom quarter of the ball to almost horizontal (the shape of the bottom half of a "C". If you play near the tip of the bat, the flick has more effect.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2017, 11:57 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Not to think about angles, that comes with better reading of ball. Step in, stay loose, xfer energy, take ball off bounce, dont try to hard to make spin, you will be stiff and fail.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2017, 15:56 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I did a drill on heavy pushing with Paul and Jo Drinkhall. It's absolutely obscene the amount of spin they get on pushes.

Tips from them: think aggressively. Keep the wrist very supply and whip it as much as you can. Look for a brushing contact to generate spin not speed. Practice by playing pushing only matches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2017, 01:55 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
My own tip for my practice is that, as long as you get whip, it doesn't matter so much where the racket starts as that your finishing position should be similar in angle to when you hit the ball and should be based on the contact point you intend to hit the ball on. Some people go underneath the ball and it results in sometimes more backspin but at the cost of the ball being too high and less spin and speed in the direction of the motion.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 16:59 

Apart from what has already been mentioned, it is important to adjust to the timing of the stroke too. If you want to get max spin without letting your opponent realise the amount of spin, take the ball early on the bounce with a light loose grip and a short quick jabby action. If you take the ball at the top of the bounce, then you need a longer brushier whippy stroke. But the latter will alarm your opponent about the heavy spin. I prefer the first stroke to get points by the element of surprise.

Rasant Powergrip black 2.1

On the dark side since April 2015. Rating 1500 Australia

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2017, 14:35 

Blade: Petr Korbel
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 25
Like with any shot that you're attempting to generate spin on it's all about the interaction of racket path and racket-face angle. I live for the heavy spin push and for me I have my bat leaning very close to horizontal (or sometimes exactly horizontal, the situation does arise!) and I slice underneath the ball as I would on a backspin serve, only in miniature. You'll want to make sure you're stepping into the table and not reaching with too outstretched of an arm; the reason for this is because the only way to slice under the ball with the ability to push to the opponent's forehand or backhand side from your backhand with an outstretched arm is to rely almost entirely on your wrist. But the more one's wrist is involved, especially if one is trying to swing from the wrist harder than comes naturally, the more likely one is to alter one's paddle face. Instead, lean forward over the table more, feel a distinct bend in the elbow, and then slice under the ball with an even stroke where the elbow feels almost stationary and the forearm extends with a small amount of natural wrist motion.

It is a perfectly reasonable strategy to try this off the bounce, but in order to keep the ball spinny and low off the bounce your push must be short (peaking in height at the net). If you waits until the ball reaches its zenith until you cut underneath it you'll have a wider range of depths to which you can play the ball. I prefer to play a deep spinny push to the backhand more often than not because the deeper one plays the ball the smaller the range of angles of return from the opponent (short shots leave open a wide range of short returns to both sides and deep returns to both corners). With the extra backspin they'll have to execute a very good backhand topspin to initiate an attack and the narrower range you'll have to cover means you'll be in good position to counter with your own topspin (hopefully forehand) should they execute the difficult stroke.

Remember: lean in; play off the hop for surprise or delay for more tactical advantage; have your racket path and racket face angle as close to parallel as possible (means you'll have a slightly descending stroke) for maximum spin. Enjoy!

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2017, 01:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LordCope wrote:
Practice by playing pushing only matches.

+1

Most people devote little or no practice time to pushes, even though >50% of their match points include at least one push.

My only mod to LC's suggestion would be to only score a point in the pushing-only match when your opponent nets the ball. That way you only get rewarded for heavy spin, not spin variation.

Yoko Ono

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!