OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 18:36

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Par Gerell hook serve
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 16:07 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
This is interesting...

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 16:22 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I occasionally have practiced that serve, but its not my most natural action to get my best spin. I think it has a lot of potential though (especially in that deception area), and if developed well enough would have a high consistency rate given its a pretty basic action to build upon.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 16:33 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes looks good for deception, not high spin...

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 18:10 

Interesting serve by Gerell. Here a video where Werner Schlager totally misreads the spin of Gerell's serve (from 6:10).

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 18:51 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

zzz wrote:
Interesting serve by Gerell. Here a video where Werner Schlager totally misreads the spin of Gerell's serve (from 6:10).

Great clip zzz, illustrates it so well! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 19:11 
Super User

Blade: Re-impact Tachi
FH: Palio Thor's
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
I have most success with this serve when I impart a little backspin and my follow through shows top spin.

Blade: Re-Impact Tachi. BH: Grass DTecS (ox, new version) FH: Palio Thor's max

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 19:41 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

Seen both of the vid.
Schlagi sure is devastated. Its quite surprising because Schlagi also use this serve a LOT !
He won the 2003 WTTC using that serve too !

This so called hook serve is one of my main four serves.
-Body-side serve (the hook service in this case)
-High toss
-Timo position serve
-Backhand

The thing is, if you serve this way to a right-handed opponent's forehand, even tho the ball is loaded with backspin, the ball will pop up because of the direction the ball is spinning.

I am starting to use this type of serve a LOT after seeing Schlagi used it and even more convinced after I watched Btex's channel on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/Bordtennisexperterne).

The moment I watched Schlagi's defeat, I realize even more the potential of such simple serve :)

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 15:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

This is one of my favorite serve patterns, it is always at least 25% of my serves, and against some players I may use it more than 50%. I copied it from videos of Liu Shiwen (and it seems quite a few other Chinese women use it). I did it because I just couldn't master the reverse pendulum serve, so I spent a lot of time working on this one instead, which is another way to get the same action on the ball. Now I can put it pretty anywhere I want on the table with either side-under or side-top. This is the first time I have seen Per Gerell play. He uses it even more effectively than LSW from what I can see of this clip.

Actually you would be surprised how much spin you can get with it, but that's not the point of it. It is very hard to read, which is the main point. At first I thought it would be much more obvious than a reverse pendulum since the motion seems pretty easy to see, but it turns out to be kind of hard to read how much underspin or topspin is mixed in with the sidespin, so I get lots of popups and misses into the net. It really surprised me. A chinese coach here also taught me a variation of it that is long, fast, and has just a bit of underspin that people rarely see. That one is my 10-all serve

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 19:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I tried it, only briefly, but did not seem to get much spin, mainly coz the motion feels rather slow (certainly compared to a pendulum serve where you can really whip the ball). Perhaps I need to persist a bit more ;)

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 00:09 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

Hmm with this kind of serve, I fool my opponent into thinking that my serve got little spin yet it contains loads of it ;)
So the saying that this serve could impart not so much spin is somewhat arguable imo.

Check out Wang Xi :)

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 10:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:
I tried it, only briefly, but did not seem to get much spin, mainly coz the motion feels rather slow (certainly compared to a pendulum serve where you can really whip the ball). Perhaps I need to persist a bit more ;)

As with pendulum serves, the amount of spin you get depends on there on your racket the ball hits. I don't think the amount of spin is as much as on the pendulum serves (which I use a lot also), but the hook serves are often more effective. I think practically all of the Chinese women's national team use hook serves more than half.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 10:52 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

this is quite similar to how i serve. very useful, people say I don't get enough spin til' they're on the recieving end of it..

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 11:59 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
haggisv wrote:

Haggisv,

tried it last night, and could get great spin, and big variance between chop and topspin - but only after turning so my back is at least 45 deg to the table - means serving arm can start way back, and comes through very quickly - pretend you are punching someone in the solar plexus! :^)

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 14:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Yes, that body posiotion helps a lot. Now try this. On some serves try to hit it so the ball hits your blade at 10 o'clock, or at 2 o'clock (where 12 o'clock is 180 degreee away from where the handle leaves the blade). You will get a lot of underpin at 10, much less at 2, and if you hit it at 4 o'clock you will start to get topspin, all from exactly the same motion.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 14:16 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks a lot guys... I'll be trying that :rock: