OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:32

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2013, 20:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
WHat's you best deceptive serve, and how do you do it?

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2013, 03:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Please take into account that I am a level 1200 player, so this fools my level 1200 opponents:

It is a FH hook serve, with my bat pushed quickly forward. The rubber contacting the ball at 2 o'clock, with the bat passing over the ball, with my handle facing straight back towards me.

I have seen video instruction of this serve, but nobody I know uses it, so the topspin and sidespin usually results in an over-hit by my opponent. I use it once a game. My opponent overhits 90% of the time. And I almost always hit it right down the BH line of the table. (assuming that 2 righties are playing)

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2013, 06:56 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
I have a version of Per Gerells serve that is very effective to some opponensts. This is from last night, look at 3:30-4:40

I have two versions, one with back-side spin (first two) and one with a Little top spin (third and fifth). I also have slow short versions with no spin and fast version with some spin, perhaps back spin. I sometimes Place it to middle table, but mostly to FH side.

Also my BH serve is deceptive for some, it might look like side-topspin but is mosly back-sidespin. The same thing with my tomahawk (Watch the last 4 serves from me in the vid above, from 8:50).

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2013, 07:22 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
They look good Def-attack! :up:

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2013, 15:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Def-A,

These serves look very good! I looks like it gives a similar spin to a FH tomahawk, without having to do as much knee bend!

I will try it!

THANKS!

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013, 12:53 

I play penhold and I always switch between underspin and topspin. I always use the same motion for heavy underspin or heavy topspin. so a short Topspin change up fools my opponents atleast once, then they tend to watch a bit more closely. After that, I may use a high toss, short, topspin serve to the same effect.

I also do the same with pendulum.

Though I quite often realize in the middle of a set that I am trying to put so much spin on the ball that I am not playing it as short or as slow as I practice sometimes. So if I relax and lighten up a bit, then serve a truly short backspin serve it tends to surprise them.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013, 13:15 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

The only deception I can put into a serve is something Foam showed me. Basically, you hit the ball with the part of the rubber nearest the handle, which is supposed to look like you're doing backspin but comes off with either a bit of topspin or, in my case, no spin. Regardless of how good I'm at it, it does allow me to do decent short serves.

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2013, 12:24 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
foam has also showed me how to do that. I've not practiced as it looked a bit complicated but have recently started experimenting.

def-attack, I really enjoyed the vid. Watching top chinese players in action is no good to me. Watching real people making real errors amongst some very good play feels more realistic. Took me several views of the first lot of serves to pick the difference between your backspin and topspin and still not sure I could do it in a match. Very subtle.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2014, 01:40 
Super User

I'm gonna assume deceptive is the same as disruptive and basically any use of LPs :devil: especially when the opponent has little experience playing against it...

So for the lower level guys (although these should also work at higher levels if used at critical times and not often):

1) My favourite LP backhand serve, flat, fast swing, with high follow through, where you contact the ball underneath. I think everyone has done this serve as a beginner and with regular or dead rubbers. I think it works if you keep it low and use it just once, perhaps for game point. Its the one that advanced players or coaches say "don't do it" but a fast deep and low serve is still tough to return if its a surprise...

2) Slicing under with sponged LP does put some spin on the ball and can catch them off guard if you serve with the same motion with the OX LP side and vice versa. Or you can vary the spin by getting the other guy used to the regular no spin serves and then really put alot of spin on it. Should work for top and side as well.. In match play what happens is that if you use no spins for a while then you brush really hard under the ball, they'll net it. Also, if they get use to the speed of the sponge side and you flip over and serve with the ox side short serve, theres a good chance he'll misjudge the speed because he expects a rebound and he doesnt push, then the ball from the ox lp serve will just die on his blade.

3) FH pendulum serve. If they are really used to this kind of serve from an inverted rubber, then it will totally fool them at least once. They will feel like hitting a rock.

4) Another juvenile serve from the FH or BH side where you flick over the top of the ball with the LP like a top spin but its a knuckle no spin. Just pushing behind the ball straight without flicking upsets some of the better lower ranked players too - I am not sure how this happens or why. Its so juvenile that it should work at least once...

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2014, 17:28 
Super User

I stare for a few seconds to the left side of table, then throw the ball and serve quick serve to the right. Wham! Opponent knows not what hit him. Game, set, match. :punch:

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2014, 21:50 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

For my spinny serves I hit close to the top of my bat. For most of the serves I have a deceptive variation:I use the exact same movement but strike near the handle, which will give little spin (and mostly low speed too). Also, I sometimes change the stroke at the last moment to a flat hit, which gives a fast no-spin serve. Both are very efficient against medium level players as long as I don't use them too much.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 05:40 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
keme wrote:
For my spinny serves I hit close to the top of my bat. For most of the serves I have a deceptive variation:I use the exact same movement but strike near the handle, which will give little spin (and mostly low speed too). Also, I sometimes change the stroke at the last moment to a flat hit, which gives a fast no-spin serve. Both are very efficient against medium level players as long as I don't use them too much.

This is basically what I do.

Also, my general serve is a backspin pendulum serve. However, sometimes, I'll hit the ball a little late, during the"follow-through" of the serve motion (when the racket is moving more to the side or up), which causes it to have more sidespin and sometimes topspin. I've gotten ok at this.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 09:28 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
I admit that my serves are not deceptive in terms of spin. Opponent can adapt to it. What I do is I vary the placement. I try to read where my opponent is expecting it and do the opposite. I love spinny serves though.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 12:01 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r

the serve is from 1:21- 1:34.

This is a couple years ago. Its a reverse tomahawk. It's rare because most people don't use it. It's the same spin as a right handed pendulum serve. Very dependent on where you hit the ball but easy to vary. You hit the side and it's side spin. The particular serve is actually more top than side at 1:21. The second serve is the side back version, but it's easy to make a short dead serve as well. When mixed with the traditional backhand serve using the traditional backhand serve as a last second option it makes direction more deceptive.

I can see how I could tighten up the serve more from watching it a couple years later. By starting with the bat tip up it will give me a last second option to change the direction of the side spin from left to right.

I also use a reverse pendulum which is easy to disguise My default for that serve is actually the backspin version. Many put it in the net, but I find the reverse tomahawk easier.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 12:24 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Obi-wan wrote:
I stare for a few seconds to the left side of table, then throw the ball and serve quick serve to the right. Wham! Opponent knows not what hit him. Game, set, match. :punch:

I get tricked by thoses sorts all the time, I know some others like look behind the opposition , wait till they turn, then get them

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms