OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 11:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Do you prefer to serve FH or BH?
I use FH serves 90 % or more 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
I use FH serves 70 % or more 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
I use them both about equally 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
I use BH serves 70 % or more 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
I use BH serves 90 % or more 27%  27%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 26
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2013, 00:06 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
I am curious how many of you that prefer BH serves before FH serves and vice versa. I have a theory that defenders are more into BH-serving than offensive players. Could that be true? Personally I would say I serve about 70 % BH at least, but in some matches I only serve BH. What about you?

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2013, 00:26 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I only have one backhand serve I use but at least 4 completely different ones on forehand so I can't use the backhand one very often. When I do its very effective, got no clue why.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2013, 00:47 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I noticed that some of the Korean chopper females only ever serve backhand. I think I mentioned it here once before. I suspect perhaps they're then in a better position for a backhand third shot. Joanna Parker (awesome UK modern defender) serves BH 90% of the time. By contrast, Evgueni Chtchetinine seems to serve mostly FH. I guess it depends on what you want to do next, and what your best / most flexible serves are.

I can do more with my FH serve - backspin, either side, topspin, no spin, and variation, plus the option to serve with LP. My BH serve is really only backspin, or top and side.

I think I'm in the 70/30 FH/BH camp.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2013, 00:48 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

foam wrote:
I only have one backhand serve I use but at least 4 completely different ones on forehand so I can't use the backhand one very often. When I do its very effective, got no clue why.

Maybe because you do not reveal it to you opponent that often ;)

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2013, 00:53 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

LordCope wrote:
I noticed that some of the Korean chopper females only ever serve backhand. I think I mentioned it here once before. I suspect perhaps they're then in a better position for a backhand third shot. Joanna Parker (awesome UK modern defender) serves BH 90% of the time. By contrast, Evgueni Chtchetinine seems to serve mostly FH. I guess it depends on what you want to do next, and what your best / most flexible serves are.

I can do more with my FH serve - backspin, either side, topspin, no spin, and variation, plus the option to serve with LP. My BH serve is really only backspin, or top and side.

I think I'm in the 70/30 FH/BH camp.

Some 5-10 years ago Gionis served mostly BH, now he almost exclusively serves FH. Also, I think he uses his FH attack much more nowadays.

Could it be that we tend to serve with the stroke we also prefer to use more in the game? I mean that BH-oriented players uses more BH serves?

Joo Se Hyuk is interesting in this aspect. He always serves FH the first and mostly second set. Somewhere at the end of the third, or earlier if he is under presure, he starts serving BH. It is like he is a little supestitious :) .

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2013, 23:21 
Super User

I use variety of BH serves because I face opponent that way.
If I serve FH, I'm sideways to the table so it takes some time to get in right position and I have a feeling my BH side is not protected.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2013, 23:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
I think I have better FH serves (heavier spin at least) but I do not move as well as I used to so in general BH serves place me in a more balanced position-even for FH 3rd ball attacks.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 00:31 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
Generally , I serve FH from my BH corner. I've gotten pretty decent with spin disguise/intensity.

When I do my BH serve, people think it has more backspin on it, so they push it, sometimes too high, and I can go right into looping. With my FH serve, people are able to push it with more spin, making it more difficult for me to loop, but I'm always good with a short pushing rally.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 11:15 
My Precious

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
I have at least 12 serves about half & half but I never serve the same serve twice in a row.
I twiddle heavily & I also occasionally use a LP serve. :clap:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 12:01 
Super User

BH all the way, less errors that way. I think they look cooler too especially when its a high toss or high release point and the other guy just wants to destroy it but ends up netting it. If they are not paying attention, the amount of backspin can still fool them if they are receiving with inverted. And there are enough variations eg serving like koji then pushblocker then seo then manika then dimitri etc etc etc...

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 17:37 
The Unprogrammable Player

Def-attack wrote:
I have a theory that defenders are more into BH-serving than offensive players. Could that be true?

This is an interesting theory, I think this could be true in a way. I personally know 2 higher lvl defenders that serve mostly BH, but... They don't like to attack right after serve. The other 2 (both national champions) and I like to serve a lot of FH serves, but on the other hand we try to attack right after if it's possible.

3) Ross Leidy "White Shadow" / P1R (1,3) / Hexer PS (1,7)

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2013, 01:01 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I serve primarily on BH. Whether it be with pips, or with inverted and twiddling after serve. I love the feeling of twiddling the bat as I wind up for a big 3rd ball kill on my FH...doesn't happen as often as I'd like, but I love it when it does :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2013, 01:04 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Justas wrote:
Def-attack wrote:
I have a theory that defenders are more into BH-serving than offensive players. Could that be true?

This is an interesting theory, I think this could be true in a way. I personally know 2 higher lvl defenders that serve mostly BH, but... They don't like to attack right after serve. The other 2 (both national champions) and I like to serve a lot of FH serves, but on the other hand we try to attack right after if it's possible.

OK, her I go - falsifying my own theory :)

BH servers:
Wang Yang
Ruwen Filus

FH servers:
Wang Xi (I have never seen him do a BH serve)
Panagiotis Gionis (he used to do BH serves but not often last years)
Chtchetinine (only a few BHs now and then)
Fabian Åkerström
Adam Pattantyus (mostly only FH, but agasintsome opponents he does quite a few BH serves)
Chen Weixin

FH/BH servers:
Joo se Hyuk (about 70 % FH)
Hou Yingchao
Kang DongSoo (bust mostly FH, right?)
Masato Shiono (almost 50/50)
Yuto Muramatsu (if I remenber correctly, or mostly FH?)
Tomas Mikutis

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2013, 22:16 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Wow, that's a nice bit of research there Def-attack! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I think I;m about 50:50 myself....it really depends on who I play on what serves I pull out...

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 02:10 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Out of the "good" serves I have, I only use three backhand serves - short, wide topspin; short, heavy topspin; long, fast topspin. See a theme there? I just can't get enough backspin on a backhand serve for my tastes so I use angles and variable amounts of topspin to try and catch opponents out... but I only use them once I feel like my opponents are starting to get the hang of my forehand serves.

Forehand I can serve short, medium and long with any combination of side/top/backspin thanks to pendulum/reverse pendulum actions. Only thing I struggle with a little bit is straight down the line - but then I just use a "kicker" after pretending to do a normal pendulum or reverse pendulum serve.

However, in practice, especially at the moment, I tend to only use my backhand serves. Partially it's so I don't win as many points on serves against opponents that struggle with my serves; partially so that I'm in the right position to chop and partially because serving topspin tends to encourage my opponents to attack rather than push. False economy for improving matchplay obviously but important for me at the moment in terms of learning to move better, read the game and generally working on my chopping.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)