OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 00:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Jan Ove Waldner
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 21:27 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
As I mentioned in the first topic of this section, I think that Jan Ove Waldner is one of best servers ever in Table Tennis. Here is a tribute video that focuses on his serving. Are there any more videos like this? Please post them here.

Post subject: Re: Jan Ove Waldner
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 22:21 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Granted, he does have a selection of good serves, which he does with almost identical initial movement. While other players have stronger serves, I don't think there are players who can vary the serve quite like JOW. That variation seems to be an important tactic throughout his game, constantly giving the opponent what he doesn't expect.

However, most of the serves in that video were hidden (two exceptions as far as I can tell), and that helps a lot with the surprise factor. Not to detract from JOW's qualities, but it is a lot harder to serve an "ace" when the ball and racket are visible to the opponent at the point of impact.

Post subject: Re: Jan Ove Waldner
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 22:58 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
keme wrote:
Granted, he does have a selection of good serves, which he does with almost identical initial movement. While other players have stronger serves, I don't think there are players who can vary the serve quite like JOW. That variation seems to be an important tactic throughout his game, constantly giving the opponent what he doesn't expect.

However, most of the serves in that video were hidden (two exceptions as far as I can tell), and that helps a lot with the surprise factor. Not to detract from JOW's qualities, but it is a lot harder to serve an "ace" when the ball and racket are visible to the opponent at the point of impact.

Indeed, he lost lot's of his surpricing momens and ability to disguise the spin when the rule was changed. But he still wins lots of points from serving, but not as much as back in the 90's.