OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2017, 20:51 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
What I'm trying to do is get feedback about mechanics. What do I need to do in order to repeatably generate heavy spin? What do I need to do in order to repeatably toss the ball high and straight? What do I need to do in order to repeatably get maximum racket speed? Etc

I'm explicitly *not* trying to serve the ball. I'm learning about the mechanics of making the ball do what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2017, 22:24 
My Precious

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
That is exactly what I'm looking to achieve carrying out your exercise. :*: :clap: My reason is that I have to retrain myself into playing with glasses which is a bit hard to get the same results as I was before my cataract surgeries but this drill is certainly helping thanks for the idea. :clap: :up:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2017, 00:52 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
LordCope wrote:
What I'm trying to do is get feedback about mechanics. What do I need to do in order to repeatably generate heavy spin? What do I need to do in order to repeatably toss the ball high and straight? What do I need to do in order to repeatably get maximum racket speed? Etc

I'm explicitly *not* trying to serve the ball. I'm learning about the mechanics of making the ball do what I want.

In general, you are headed in the right direction. Make a more concerted effort to fix the timing of the backswing and to stop moving the racket before the ball is on its way down (or at least, to delay the main part of the swing/whip) by using the drill of tossing the ball and catching it on the racket that Brett proposed. Also, the floor serve is where you really try to rip the serve. Bed/towel serves involve some touch as well.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2017, 08:31 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Day 5:

Training with RH this morning. I tried to do only fh pendulum serves and aim for max spin. Managed a few very spinny ones, but it's hard to play practice matches and also work on services.

Watched the introductory video on backspin and no spin services on ttedge through a couple of times.

Did 5 mins tossing practice. Videod a "match" which I will upload tomorrow.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2017, 11:39 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Always treat the serves the you are learning as new serves. Over time they will replace the other serves in your rotation as you get better at them. You can do your current serves and your new serves without guilt and when your new serves become good enough they eliminate your current served. It's like having a tomahawk serve state you did when you were playing a year ago that you don't do anymore that you have replaced with a punch serve. It feels weird to think you are doing this with a backspin serve and another backspin serve but it is the only way I could make it work. Otherwise I would feel guilty serving bad form backspin serves.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2017, 07:47 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Day 6: woke up with bloody sore tendons in my right arm. Have rested since. Trained on Wed night but wasn't comfortable. It's Sat eve and it's still sore. I have a match on Monday. I'll train very lightly tomorrow. But I'm not risking much.

Guess I could have persevered with tosses, but sore arm really put me right off tT :(

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2017, 13:44 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Glad to see the dedication to all this, a worthy enterprise.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2017, 23:38 
LP Collector
LP Collector

I know I don't get the award, but I'm going to stick out the rest of the month, to beat my streak.

Gone back to SP on my FH, just for the weight. The H8 added 20% (30g), which is a big deal, actually. I'll train with a heavy racket a little a day to build up tendon strength, but I can't afford injury.

Day 12:

5-10 mins floor serves. Trying to really aim for spin and brushing, and not have the ball loop up when I brush it. They all came back towards me, but most veered right, so not pure backspin. Much less spin with the 651, which is a not very spinny rubber.

Also did some practice matches, and when I tossed the ball high(ish) and straight, my serves were more potent - definitely makes a big difference, especially with SP.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2018, 11:12 

Blade: DHS 301
FH: 729 Battle II
BH: Palio AK47 Blue
Sundays I do serve practice somewhere between an hour or two :)
Nothing like a sunday morning!

Practice many aspects of pendulum serve. Especially doing rapid variation of length and then of placement for getting best control.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W6uof1fwb0[/youtube]
(how do you embed videos in this lovely forum? :)

Last edited by Lightzy on 15 Jan 2018, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2018, 13:22 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Lightzy wrote:
(how do you embed videos in this stupid forum? :)
Remove the "s" from https, the rest is correct. ;)

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2018, 19:22 

haggisv wrote:
Lightzy wrote:
(how do you embed videos in this stupid forum? :)
Remove the "s" from https, the rest is correct. ;)

Thanks, I really meant to say "lovely" forum.

Is there any way on this forum to see at a glance only the most recent posts? Not sorted into categories?

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018, 02:58 

Lightzy wrote:

Practice many aspects of pendulum serve. Especially doing rapid variation of length and then of placement for getting best control.

It is interesting, it looks like the server is standing to the side of the table on most of these which is fine. But it also looks like the tossing hand and therefore, the ball, start over the table before the toss, so, not behind the end line. So, it looks as though the toss may be against the rules.

But on the ones with the higher angle, it also looks like the server is further down the side of the table and that the contact looks as though it is occurring over the table.

However, since all we can really see for sure is the server’s back, it is hard to say anything for sure.

The kid with the down coat seems more educational to watch....or, at least, more fun.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018, 06:22 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Lightzy wrote:
Quote:
Is there any way on this forum to see at a glance only the most recent posts? Not sorted into categories?

Over on the right towards the top once you are signed in there are 3 links in blue:
View unread posts | View new posts | View your posts

I believe View new posts shows what is new since the last time you signed in.

I also agree with what USC said about the angle not being ideal to see what you are actually doing when you serve, and it not being clear that the ball is behind the end line from when the ball is tossed to when it is struck. We can however see that the ball does curve in the air from the spin imparted by you.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018, 07:16 

Yep. It looks like good sidespin. Sometimes enough backspin to get back to the net.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018, 15:05 

upsidedowncarl wrote:
Lightzy wrote:

It is interesting, it looks like the server is standing to the side of the table on most of these which is fine. But it also looks like the tossing hand and therefore, the ball, start over the table before the toss, so, not behind the end line. So, it looks as though the toss may be against the rules.
But on the ones with the higher angle, it also looks like the server is further down the side of the table and that the contact looks as though it is occurring over the table.

However, since all we can really see for sure is the server’s back, it is hard to say anything for sure.

The kid with the down coat seems more educational to watch....or, at least, more fun.

I'm not sure you can miss that the toss and contact are outside the table when with the serves you clearly see the gap behind the edge of the table as I do the backswing :) All the serves are, of course, legal :)
The angle is for the sake of privacy.
That said, I agree completely that the little kid in the coat is much more fun to watch!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!