OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 15:22

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 03:50 

Blade: Stiga Clipper CC
FH: DHS H3
BH: Xiom Vega Japan
I have 70 hours to dedicate to serve practice. Im new to tt, what should it consist of. Are there games or goals to have.

Focus
Spin, speed, placement

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 11:46 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

How new are you to TT? Maybe start here:

and go on from there (there's more videos in the series). This one already has stuff you can spend 2-3 hours practicing - the bed serve, the floor serve.. and that's before you even get to the table.. :lol: These are worth practicing, even if you've been playing for years. (ESPECIALLY if you've been playing for years, in some cases...)

Things to work on, in my opinion:

1) Getting good spin on the ball.
2) Disguising the spin you have on the ball.
3) Placement - short, fast serves.

Also perhaps do serve-and-return drills with someone. Play points, alternate serves every point or two points, don't keep score.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2017, 13:41 

Thanks taib! Ive played for a year n a month now. Ive watched all of his videos many times, ill watch them beforehand n keep them in mind.
Is there anything i should be thinking about? Or serving games i could do?

I've edged my way to a 1700 rating
I'll look out for the ninja serve assister

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2017, 19:18 

Hi bars,

Great to see you doing this. Most people would rather 'improve' their game by buying new rubbers. 70 hours of serve practice will produce real results.

1. Choose one serve action.
2. Practice until it's really spinny.
3. Practice until it's very short, 2 or 3 bounces on the table.
4. Practice a different spin with the same action. You should be able to do side under, side, side top with a few steps in between. Eg heavy under, medium under, light under etc. Just a few variations. Experiment by adjusting various body mechanics and timings to see what it produces.
5. Practice puttng these serves at different locations on the table. Both direction and depth. Long serves should bounce near the white line, otherwise it should be short and bounce at least twice. Directionally, try middle of the table, diagonal (second bounce near corner) and more extreme angles.
6. Practice getting the serves low over the net. The lower they are, the faster and more difficult they can be to receive. After the toss, wait for the ball to drop lower. See how low you can contact the ball. You may need to experiment with bat angle.

And the most important thing to practice...

7. After every serve, return to a suitable ready position, ready for your opponent to attack. Don't just stand there. It's a bad habit. Maybe at first you can ignore this point in favour of getting a rhythm going, but after you first 20 hours or so, you should be comfortable enough to add this step to your routine.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2017, 06:24 

yaaaa bad habit i think serves i practice; in matches I dont move afterwards but if I do a "regular" serve to get the ball in play I move my feet to a better position! QQ !

Taib - I've been doing the floor serve... I don't get the same contact while I'm doing a serve on the table

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2017, 18:27 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Bars, find me at the US Open in a few weeks, I will be causing trouble there as an out of town trouble maker, I have a few jerseys that have me listed on the back of uniform as a trouble maker.

I will give you the 5 minute breakdown. I got such a breakdown from Bogeyhunter, our NexyUSA CEO when I was 1400ish rec player way back in 2007... I practiced serves for 3 minutes a day in an area with just a table and zero players, and got to 1600 level no match practice doing just that.

I now have a progressive phase by phase system to address how to effectively impact the ball for a double bounce serve with spin and later how to add variations.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2017, 06:45 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
I would advise you to meet up with Der_Echte. Lots of wisdom there and his servers are very good.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2017, 08:21 

Anyasayeo

"4 parts of service spin, placement, spin deception, placement deception"

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2017, 08:42 

It would be faantastic to meet you and your knowledge der ech. Ill be there saturday to wednesday or thursday.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2017, 08:52 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Bars wrote:
Anyasayeo

"4 parts of service spin, placement, spin deception, placement deception"

:lol: Do you mean, "Anyunghasaeyo"? If I'm not mistaken, you're trying to say hello in Korean :P

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2017, 19:10 

Sure looks like he is trying to say hello. I will wear a lot of Nexy jerseys, almost all have my name William W.

The important concepts to serving are pretty simple to grasp, so is my progressive phased approach, but it takes good practice, like anything else. The explanation spiel takes like 5 minutes. I would also advise taking some short vids from side/back to see your feet, contact, and bounces on table once you get to phase of practice at the table.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2017, 19:20 

The sneak peak of my system is to break the progression down into three phases.

1) Practice off table on a hallway or open area, go for the right bat angle (parallel to ground) and loose grip, timing of impact, loose muscles. Try to get good spin, make ball come back on floor, height and depth unimportant.

2) Practice 4-6 feet behind table, lift ball high bounce once on your side, once on other, get ball to spin back. Just trying to get good spin.

3) Practice at table, put it all together, don't worry about being low over net, just make first bounce halfway or a little past, go for spin and double bounce. LATER, when touch gets better, you make ball go lower over net. LATER, when base timing and impact/spin are good, work on after motions. LATER, when base technique is good, use different bat angles and grip pressure and change of bat speed for different serves all with same base motion.

See, that took less than a few minutes. Not rocket science new stuff. just a different attitude and some proven technique and approach. It isn't the only way to get there, but one effective way without mega pain and disappointment. You can see progress each step and stay motivated. That counts for a lot. Hard to do it all at once fix everything at once at table, easy to get disappointed and quit.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2017, 04:17 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Der_Echte wrote:
Sure looks like he is trying to say hello. I will wear a lot of Nexy jerseys, almost all have my name William W.

The important concepts to serving are pretty simple to grasp, so is my progressive phased approach, but it takes good practice, like anything else. The explanation spiel takes like 5 minutes. I would also advise taking some short vids from side/back to see your feet, contact, and bounces on table once you get to phase of practice at the table.

Speaking of Korean, I finally figured out what you meant by Achuma! I saw that word and I thought, what the heck does that mean? It took me some time to figure out that you meant Ajuma (It's more of a stressed J sound, rather than a "ch" sound, which is why I spelled it differently)!

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2017, 04:49 

Romanization of Korean can really suck, I really hate on it and would insist on using the Korean, it would be the right way to go and be no doubts, but the problem is, not many people who do not know Korean can read Korean (Duh !) It is not like it would take anyone excessive effort or time to learn the characters, I am a box of rocks and did it in two weeks, one week is more realistic for those with a better CPU in their head.

So, the terrible compromise of Romanization is essentially a necessity, a real poor one though.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2017, 19:35 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Der_Echte wrote:
Romanization of Korean can really suck, I really hate on it and would insist on using the Korean, it would be the right way to go and be no doubts, but the problem is, not many people who do not know Korean can read Korean (Duh !) It is not like it would take anyone excessive effort or time to learn the characters, I am a box of rocks and did it in two weeks, one week is more realistic for those with a better CPU in their head.

So, the terrible compromise of Romanization is essentially a necessity, a real poor one though.

So funny Der Echte!! :lol: How about for someone with a IQ of 130?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!