OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 11:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

What to do with the Experimental section?
Leave it as it is, people should be able to discuss any TT topic. 69%  69%  [ 27 ]
Leave it, but discussion on 'how to cheat' should be removed. 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Leave it, but we need strict rules on what we should allow. 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Make it private, so that only invited members can see it. 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Remove it completely, as it reflect badly on the forum image. 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 39
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2011, 10:26 
Stir Crazy

speedplay wrote:
So, you haven't been able to find a single post where I made such accusations, so instead you make up new stuff to support your initial lie?

Boy, you are really barking up the wrong tree here. I have a lot of respect for LP players, which should be obvious to every one, but I have no respect for cheaters. Unfortunately, you seem to mix them up, confusing LP players with cheaters. Well, that's your problem, not mine.

mynamenotbob wrote:
In the LP section you're quick to drag some reference to cheating into post after post. Meanwhile we had to prod you to even comment on the video of Ma Lin and Wang Liqin caught red-handed with Haifu Oil. And when you finally did there was no outrage and you even acknowledged that in Sweden all players in the top leagues boost their rubbers and there is a silent agreement amongst the players. Seems you're OK with that.

This is really, really sad. Here we have two moderators who are supposed to know how the forum is to be conducted and who are demonstrating how NOT to do it.

Both of you are guilty of accusing one another of bad behaviour and both of you have resorted to personal attacks. It seems to me that neither of you is perfect and you probably owe one another an apology.

I'm not perfect either - evidenced by my numerous apologies for questionable behaviour - but I would like to encourage both of you to take a step back and help us all get back on track. Please.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2011, 11:24 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
This thread shows where the problem of open discussion starts. Haggisv asked for help with the experimental section and what does he get? A cat fight between two people "Obsessed" with thier ideals. This problem actually started when haggisv was absent. People took advantage of a situation I am sure they knew would not have been condoned. Moderators? I do not see any. Why should this thread be open to this kind of fighting? Disgusting. Use PM's to bash each other. Use this thread to help haggisv with the question he asked.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2011, 11:25 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Tassie52 wrote:
This is really, really sad. Here we have two moderators who are supposed to know how the forum is to be conducted and who are demonstrating how NOT to do it.

Both of you are guilty of accusing one another of bad behaviour and both of you have resorted to personal attacks. It seems to me that neither of you is perfect and you probably owe one another an apology.

Speedplay, as far as I can see, by your own admission you have been using glue which is banned. Yes, that does make you a cheat, even if that is not your intent.

MNNB, when it comes to your obsession with the ITTF, a number of posters have commented upon the way in which you turn threads into anti-ITTF arguments (including this one here!).

I'm not perfect either - evidenced by my numerous apologies for questionable behaviour - but I would like to encourage both of you to take a step back and help us all get back on track. Please.

I'm advocating a forum where members have the freedom to discuss any table tennis topic without censorship or harassment. This isn't about the ITTF, in fact I fully support President Sharara's positions that local leagues shouldn't try to enforce the ITTF rules and that players should play as they wish.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2011, 11:51 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
hookshot wrote:
Moderators? I do not see any. Why should this thread be open to this kind of fighting? Disgusting. Use PM's to bash each other. Use this thread to help haggisv with the question he asked.

I agree that it's disgusting. I don't enjoy being part of this discussion but some things just needed to be said. I hope we never go down this road again. I come on the forum to talk about table tennis in general, and issues related to blocking with long pips and anti in particular, and the sooner we get back to that, the happier I'll be.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2011, 16:35 
Super User

I think this polling can be closed now, most of the voter already voted and I don't think the result will change too much even if we add one more year for this poll.

I don't think we need to lengthen the discussion about who are cheater or who are against cheating.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2011, 17:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes indeed, this thread really isn't about cheating at all, it's about whether or not we want the experimental section, and if we do, what form.

I don't believe another vote will give any different result, but if people insist, I'm happy to have run another one. As I mentioned before, and I don't know if it fell on deaf ears, is that I'm sure the great majority don't support cheating, but judging from the vote many of these members still want the experimental section.

As admin I need to make a decision one way or another. I always like to have an open discussion about an issue like this, so that we can decide together what's best for the forum. I've suggested options for those that are against it, to try and resolve some of the issues, but there's been little response to it.

Voting for the experimental section does not mean you're voting for cheating... they are totally different issues so you're not compromising your morals in any way. Since it appears many people do want this section to return, it would be most useful if those people that vote against it, to try and come up with some suggestions that can help make it work.

A forum is a community, and as such compromises need to be made, or NO decisions will ever be made, as we can never please everyone. If we can get a little give and take from both sides, we might be able to come to an agreeable solutions. If neither side is willing to compromise, I would have little choice but to go with the majority, and the minority would have lost their opportunity to address at least some of their issues.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2011, 17:48 
Super User

+1,

that is true, we cannot please every one.

please put a fix time for more new feed back, no more personal attacking please.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2011, 09:28 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I have enabled the option for people to change their vote, so if after all this discussion you've changed your mind, please indicate so by selecting your new vote.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2011, 09:52 

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I am all for the experimental section if it reduces the arguements in the rest of the forum.

Hopefully the mods will stop any refferences to cheating, making something undetectable and such in the rest of the forum and move the post there or delete it.

I build so many bats for students from old equipment, I am always experimenting with different things to bring rubbers back to life. I might even tell what I found by accident a few days ago. WOW. :)

I can say, all my comp equipment is totally virgin, legal equipment, including the glue. (Tear Mender) But that does not stop my experimentation.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2011, 10:00 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

hookshot wrote:
I am all for the experimental section if it reduces the arguements in the rest of the forum.

Hopefully the mods will stop any refferences to cheating, making something undetectable and such in the rest of the forum and move the post there or delete it.

I build so many bats for students from old equipment, I am always experimenting with different things to bring rubbers back to life. I might even tell what I found by accident a few days ago. WOW. :)

I can say, all my comp equipment is totally virgin, legal equipment, including the glue. (Tear Mender) But that does not stop my experimentation.

I could not agree more, I'm in exactly the same boat!

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2011, 15:46 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

speedplay wrote:
haggisv wrote:
I have enabled the option for people to change their vote, so if after all this discussion you've changed your mind, please indicate so by selecting your new vote.

And this was the best you could do???

What's wrong with that?

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2011, 15:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

speedplay wrote:
As all the old votes remain in the poll, until some one actually changes them, so what about members who voted in the first poll that are no longer active? Their votes will still count in this poll.

True, but that's the same for both those that votes for or against it.

speedplay wrote:
Creating a new poll would be better, all though I doubt it would change the result much.

Yes it would be better I agree, but I also doubt the result would be much different, plus I suspect people are growing tired of this topic, so it's likely we'd only get few votes anyway.

If we see a sudden change in this votes because of the arguments presented, then it might be worthwhile, but I don't see this happening either.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2011, 17:01 
Stir Crazy

haggisv wrote:
speedplay wrote:
Creating a new poll would be better, all though I doubt it would change the result much.

Yes it would be better I agree, but I also doubt the result would be much different, plus I suspect people are growing tired of this topic, so it's likely we'd only get few votes anyway.

If we see a sudden change in this votes because of the arguments presented, then it might be worthwhile, but I don't see this happening either.

It's pretty clear that the majority of people want the section to remain unchanged. Less than half of all votes are for anything different, and only 4 (at this moment) are for removing it altogether. It seems to me that the obvious course of action is to re-instate the Experimental section and let people get on with it.

Now I'm one of the 4 and I need to ask myself, "How will I manage the comments that are made in the Experimental section?" I will have a number of options open to me:
1. I can choose to pretend the section doesn't exist. If the things discussed there are too difficult for me, then it's quite healthy for me to avoid them.
2. I can complain to all and sundry that, "It's not fair!" And this is the response I used to resort to all the time when I was a kid. But complaining won't change anything, so I think I'll pass on this option.
3. I can observe what is happening in the experimental section without commenting or entering into debate/argument. This is perhaps the most difficult of the options available. If I'm going to read about people doing things I find morally questionable it will be difficult for me to keep my mouth shut.
4. I can treat the Experimental section exactly the same way as I do the other sections. If something is of interest I can read and comment, but only in a respectful and appropriate manner. Again, not an easy option, but perhaps the most grown up one.

I wonder what I'll do? One thing I do know: If I stray into flaming and abuse I deserve to get my bum kicked! :lol:

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2011, 18:00 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Tassie 52 +1

Mmm, voting's not over yet though still chance for a change :lol:

Either way, option 4 for me in your list Tassie 52 - but then we're not voting on behaviour and how to react to the outcome are we :D

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2011, 00:03 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
Tassie 52 +2

Unfortunately I am a mod and thus cannot ignore the section. Guess I will have to choose option 3 in Tassie52 list.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next