OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Who is the Custom Blade maker of 2010?
Poll ended at 15 Mar 2011, 14:24
Adam aka Makepaddle 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
BladesByCharlie.com 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
Peter Freundlieb aka TT-Piet 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
Re-Impact 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
Ross Leidy 40%  40%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 43
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2011, 03:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

If it wasn't too late for nominations I'd have done so for Jack Miller of JM blades.

http://tabletennis.about.com/od/blades/ ... _blade.htm

I've been using a three blade set of his Katana series for the past three years and I find my consistency has gone up and the quality of the craftmanship is first rate.

Not sure where his most current website is...

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2011, 16:59 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes ,definitely another worthy contender from what I've seen!

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2011, 19:37 
Super User

with so many unlisted contenders, haggi, how do you feel about re-run of contest? ;)

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 15:14 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

friendship wrote:
with so many unlisted contenders, haggi, how do you feel about re-run of contest? ;)

I think that would be unfair to the existing nominees... we'll have to leave them till next year, where I can put them all in as nominees automatically. The current nominees have been the most active, either in blade making during 2010 or in sharing their progress here (or both), and that's why they were remembered so readily, so fair is fair IMO.

I will close votes tomorrow... any more votes anyone?

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 20:57 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
friendship wrote:

I think that would be unfair to the existing nominees... we'll have to leave them till next year, where I can put them all in as nominees automatically. The current nominees have been the most active, either in blade making during 2010 or in sharing their progress here (or both), and that's why they were remembered so readily, so fair is fair IMO.

I will close votes tomorrow... any more votes anyone?

but this is more unfair for the nominees which were not listed...i really don't see the problem for repeated voting, and frankly, i don't see justice done here

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 21:21 
Stir Crazy

friendship wrote:
but this is more unfair for the nominees which were not listed...i really don't see the problem for repeated voting, and frankly, i don't see justice done here

The first formal call for nominations for The Manufacturer of the Year went out on 12 February. That was after the idea had been floated some time before. Almost immediately, people began nominating people who were custom blade makers - e.g. on the same day, Valor TT, Ross Leidy and makepaddle were all nominated. Discussion then followed about the differences between large manufacturers and small blade makers, which then lead to the separate award for Custom Blade Maker 2101. No one had nominated American Hinoki, Jack Miller, Ulmo Blades, but that was not because people didn't have the opportunity. It was because people who were following the thread wished to nominate others, and those are the people we have been voting for.
friendship wrote:
but this is more unfair for the nominees which were not listed

The "nominees which were not listed" were not nominees, because no one nominated them. It's not a question of fairness; it's a question of who was nominated.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 22:52 
Super User

seems that people have forgoten about these other manufacturers. but the fact is that these manufacturers were not aware of these nominations taking place. because if they were, they would nominate themselves in the same way like they tried to do it on this topic

you can say 'it is your fault you did not see it on time to nominate yourself, now it's too late', but i don't agree with this view. it is just the decision of ooak, which can go either way. haggisv mentiones it would not be fair for present nominees, yet i see present situation as more unfair

as haggisv said, it is not important who gets the most votes, it is important that these blade makers are recognized and it is nice that all who participated in this forum should be mentioned on the list, because they exist and there are really not that many participants

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2011, 16:25 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I understand you point, but for this vote the procedure was clearly laid out right from the start. Nominations were open for many weeks, and these nomination were expected to come from our members, not from the manufacturers (although we would gladly accept their nominations too), so it was not our job to contact them and ask them to nominate. Therefore I think we should conclude this current vote as it stands.

I appreciate the feedback though, and we can try and ensure we get all the possible nominations next time. :up:

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 10:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

and the winner is Ross Leidy! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ross is a very worthy winner IMO, and he not only makes some of the most awesome looking blades, but he's been sharing his journey and achievement with us, inspiring others as well!

Congrats Ross!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 11:08 
The Wood Magician

haggisv wrote:

Ross is a very worthy winner IMO, and he not only makes some of the most awesome looking blades, but he's been sharing his journey and achievement with us, inspiring others as well! Congrats Ross!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I was excited to be nominated for the category, and now truly honored to have been selected as a favorite! Cool! I appreciate the acceptance that has been extended to me over the last year, so thanks for that. It's been great to be able to share build photos and experiments with the group. Thanks, all.

With next year's poll to include an even fuller list of talented blade makers, I better bring my "A" game over the coming year! :)

Ross

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011, 22:01 

Congratulations to Ross. :clap:
He is doing my personalized bat with special adjustments and
all the pictures he has sent to me look fantastic.
Also he has plenty knowledge of veneers and their function.
:clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2011, 08:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Ross Leidy wrote:
haggisv wrote:

Ross is a very worthy winner IMO, and he not only makes some of the most awesome looking blades, but he's been sharing his journey and achievement with us, inspiring others as well! Congrats Ross!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I was excited to be nominated for the category, and now truly honored to have been selected as a favorite! Cool! I appreciate the acceptance that has been extended to me over the last year, so thanks for that. It's been great to be able to share build photos and experiments with the group. Thanks, all.

With next year's poll to include an even fuller list of talented blade makers, I better bring my "A" game over the coming year! :)

Ross

Whoo-Hoo Ross, Congrats.
Thomas

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2011, 03:33 

I ordered my blade with Ross. He is a gentleman, very nice to deal and solve all our concernes about all kinds of veneers. The racket is just what we expect as a craftsmanship, very well finished, he keeps sending pictures of all details.
As soon as I receive it I will test it. I play close to the table, like pushblocker. I ordered a slow, big reversal on BH and medium fast on FH
:up: :clap:

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2011, 08:54 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Sounds great Jonas! Feel free to start another thread on this, I'm sure many people here would be interested! ;)