OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 23:46 

Hey Guys, I haven't been here for a while because I got my new bat and it is awesome! I can't believe how different it is to the bats I have been using. It has the red and black rubbers on it and everything. I love the color of the wood I can see on the handle and at the bit below the rubbers. The handle has brown wood and a really cool yellow stripe painted on it and 2 plastic bits in it. One plastic bit has some chinese writing and the letters DHS. The other one has a pciture of some chinese guy on it. BUt what I like best is the really cool shiny gold plate on the bottom of the handle with some more chinese writing and numbers on it. When I get a chance to use the camera again I will have to put a picture of it here. Most importantly though is this bat has made me an even better player than I was before. Roland got a similar bat to mine from the Sydney fisherman, but not as cool as mine. We have been doing all these fancy shots at each other instead of just smashing the ball. Would you believe we can now make the ball curve up and then down in like an arching type shape? Its amazing! I think there is simply no way anyone will ever have a chance to beat me now. There will be no stopping me! I reckon its only a matter of months now and I will be able to get to the mainland and begin my quest to be the greatest tabletennis player in the world!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013, 07:09 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

Just don't forget your friends when you eventually get to Hollywood, Cecil. Okay? :angel:

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013, 12:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Dear Cecil!

THAT IS AWESOME THAT YOU GOT YOUR NEW "WEAPON!!"

Now, I'm not that great of a player, but....I hope nobody else is reading this.......

There is a dangerous shot called a LOOP. It can be done with these fancy red and black bats. It has a thousand times more topspin than any other shot.....shhhh....don't tell anyone.....but start to practice it.....like with your forehand, swing upward a lot and forward a bit and brush the back of the ball. It creates CRAZY topspin. And then when Roland learns it you can practice hitting it when it comes at you.

This shot seems to accelerate when it hits the table.....if you can sneak into the office and use the computer here is a good short video on this shot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77sBz3vdW3U

just click on this link above,

and.....I hope nobody else is reading this.......

your buddy

glennholder

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013, 15:37 

glennholder wrote:
Dear Cecil!

THAT IS AWESOME THAT YOU GOT YOUR NEW "WEAPON!!"

Now, I'm not that great of a player, but....I hope nobody else is reading this.......

There is a dangerous shot called a LOOP. It can be done with these fancy red and black bats. It has a thousand times more topspin than any other shot.....shhhh....don't tell anyone.....but start to practice it.....like with your forehand, swing upward a lot and forward a bit and brush the back of the ball. It creates CRAZY topspin. And then when Roland learns it you can practice hitting it when it comes at you.

This shot seems to accelerate when it hits the table.....if you can sneak into the office and use the computer here is a good short video on this shot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77sBz3vdW3U

just click on this link above,

and.....I hope nobody else is reading this.......

your buddy

glennholder

Firstly Glenn, who else would be stupid enough to read this. I know I'm not!

Secondly, I think you might be underestimating Cecil's intuitive knowledge of the game. He may not have a name for it (or just one he's made up himself), so talking about the loop is probably wasted information. I would reckon that he's coming up with shots (and names for them) that we've yet to experience. Would this be right Cecil?

But, of course, I'm not interested in this thread. Shhhh.

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013, 22:36 
Super User

So Cecil when are you actually going to come to the Mainland? Living on Montebello Islands sound like there isn't much to do. I also took a look at it geographically and it is really small and there are no houses on it at all do you sleep on a boat? There is tons of cool stuff in the cities and you would enjoy it. Go to University or study a trade and your set for life. I still don't know what you do you're on a fishing charter is that busy every week I would be happy if it was like that.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 01:11 

Bobs_Your_Uncle wrote:
So Cecil when are you actually going to come to the Mainland? Living on Montebello Islands sound like there isn't much to do. I also took a look at it geographically and it is really small and there are no houses on it at all do you sleep on a boat? There is tons of cool stuff in the cities and you would enjoy it. Go to University or study a trade and your set for life. I still don't know what you do you're on a fishing charter is that busy every week I would be happy if it was like that.

I think you must have missed the main camp Uncle Bob cos we have a main building and then several huts where we sleep as well as our tabletennis tent of course. As for the fishing charter, its my part-time job on the weekends. During the week, we all have chores to do with looking after the wildlife park. It is pretty busy. We get out fixing things that get ravaged by high winds and also helping wildlife that get hurt in various ways. We have crocodiles, snakes, kangaroos, lizards, lots of birds, koalas, wombats, other marsupials on the islands (there are quite a few). Then there are the marine animals that we come across like the odd beached whale. We get around in boats a lot for all of this, and we also do a fair bit of swimming and diving. So, there is plenty to do. But we always find time to play tabletennis.

I have delayed my coming to the mainland because since getting my new bat I have realised how much more awesome I can be at this game and I need more time to develop my new tricks. I think the name Glennholder put to my arch shot is a little odd. Calling it a loop is like calling it a circle and that isn't what it does (it would have to go around under the table for that!). A half-loop perhaps, but that's not as good still, I'm calling it the arch! Perfectly describes what it does. I have learnt to arch on both my right-hand side and my left-hand side (with my bat in my right hand of course). Roland thinks these are called forehand and backhand, but that seems silly to me. I just call them leftshot and rightshot. Anyway, since we got these bats its no fun playing anyone else besides each other any more as no-one else can get our arch shots back at all. So I know my power is just getting greater and greater all the time. Its like I have become a superhuman and Roland is like my assistant.

Oskar, why would I want to go to Hollywood? As I understand it they make movies there, they don't play tabletennis, do they?

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 09:02 

CecilTheGreatest wrote:
Oskar, why would I want to go to Hollywood? As I understand it they make movies there, they don't play tabletennis, do they?

I might have been thinking too far ahead. I just thought it would one day be part of your natural progression. Think Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li. But instead of martial arts expertise you could bring your table tennis. I think Hollywood is always looking for new angles. In the meantime, I'll start work on a pilot screenplay for a possible television series based on the classic Kung Fu, with David Carradine. I think all the elements of your own personal journey is contained in that story, minus, perhaps, any sense of humility. But we can work with what you've got.

For some inspiration, have a look at this:

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 14:37 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

I could imagine Cecil making the trek all the way to Dandy TTC only to be denied entry. On the steps of the centre he would sleep for nights on end until eventually he was granted admission and then assigned to Master Reb. Cecil would race through 'Arching 101' in record time but teaching Cecil the virtues of humility would severely try Master Reb's patience.

Cecil - I like the 'left-hand side/right-hand side' idea but what do you call a shot struck immediately before your belly button?

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 14:41 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
carbonman wrote:
I could imagine Cecil making the trek all the way to Dandy TTC only to be denied entry. On the steps of the centre he would sleep for nights on end until eventually he was granted admission and then assigned to Master Reb. Cecil would race through 'Arching 101' in record time but teaching Cecil the virtues of humility would severely try Master Reb's patience.

Cecil - I like the 'left-hand side/right-hand side' idea but what do you call a shot struck immediately before your belly button?

Well now CM, I'd be incline to take young Cecil and slap him silly until he understood the meaning of humility the way they break in horses! :devil: :lol: Can't teach a young horse anything until they learn who is master now...same would go for Cecil. I might even be tempted to teach him the art of playing against pips...or better yet, playing with them!! ;)

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 15:47 

Whatever you do, don't even mention pips. That's a dangerous can of worms! :lol:

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 16:19 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

What would he rename them? 'Nodules' perhaps?

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2013, 13:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Cecil!

THAT IS AWESOME that you are enjoying your new bat, and I think that "the arch" is the best name for the shot with the big topspin and the downward curve. P.S. I was the artist that made this cute little "topspin smilie" :topspin:

I have no doubt that you will surprise those main-landers when you get there. You have not mentioned much about serving.....now don't give away any secrets, but.....do you have some pretty deadly ones?

Talk to you when you get a chance!

glennholder

Say Hi to Roland!

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2013, 16:26 

That's a good observation, glennholder. I wait in anticipation to hear about Cecil's deadly serves.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 00:37 

There are so many comments here I may miss something, but I will try to address you all.

Oskar, I still cannot watch video on the internet here. I asked Roland why and he said our connection is not broad enough and too slow or something.

Glennholder, I did say hello to Roland for you and he said to say hello back. He has been reading the forum but got the idea we are not well treated for some reason. So he just reads it now to learn things. I told him there are nice people like you here, but he gets upset by some others. Things like what Carbonman and RebornTTevglist have said don't seem very nice, but I know I will meet nice people and not nice people on my journey when it starts. So I think it is good for me to find this out now.

As for my serving, it is deadly. I can serve very fast and make it hit the table where my opponent doesn't expect and the ball is gone before they see it. With my new bat it seems a bit faster even than with my old bat which was already very fast. I think that I will always win the point when its my turn to serve, although sometimes Roland guesses where I am serving it to and gets it back by luck. Often though he just gets his bat to it and it flies way off the table.

What are pips and why would I call them nodules? What are nodules for that matter? Sounds like something my Mum makes for us with seafood and vegetables mixed into them, kind of like a seafood spaghetti. Anyway, I hope I have donemy best to address everyone here, even the not so nice ones whoo I am sure would be nicer to me if I beat them at tabletennis.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 08:14 

Cecil, I don't think either carbonman or reborn are 'being mean' to you. There are, in fact, very nice people. You've got to understand that you do represent someone we're not accustomed to hearing from, i.e. someone with an abundance of self-confidence. This difficulty of ours is partly due to the fact that we're already on the mainland and, subsequently, have had to suffer countless disappointments in this game we love so much. Should that happen to you when you finally make the crossing, you might understand.

It's a shame that your Internet service doesn't give you the option to view online videos.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!