OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 09:52

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2013, 10:31 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
It's always sad to hear about a famous former table tennis player passing away, and it seems we've had quite a few in recent times. :(

Of course it's a sad and tough time for their family and friends, but I think it's also a sad time for many of us, because we often never got to know this person, even though we shared an common passion, ie table tennis! That's the reason for this thread...

I would implore all former table tennis players to share their story PLEASE!

It does not matter if you're a former world class player, a national players or just a well known players in your local area, whether you're still young or old.... please share some of your stories and experiences with those who share your passion for our sport! I'm sure we'd love to hear some of your stories, your struggles and successes, which are probably things many of us can relate to! Give us a chance to get to know you and chat to you, and I'm sure you'll find the experience quite rewarding yourself.

You could start for example by posting a "who am I?" thread (in the General section), where you post a few clues every day, and let us guess who you are. ;)

Or you can just join in the conversation of other topics, and can remain totally anonymous. It's entirely up to you of course!

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2013, 13:29 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Great idea for a thread haggisv. I would be especially interested in former World Class or national level players - why did they retire? Do they miss the game? What are they doing now?

8 months or so ago Coburg had a 'Welcome Back' night for former National Champ (late 1960s) and Coburg player Leigh Pascoe. Leigh retired very young, became an academic and moved to Paris where he has lived for many years. He hadnt been back in the club for around 40 years. Twas a good night.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2013, 17:41 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks carbonman! Yes that's a good example :up:

I remember quite a few top club players that I used to look up to. I'd love to know what happened to them, and I'd love to hear their stories and also why they gave it. I suspect some may think there would not many people interested, but I think there are.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2013, 20:13 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I'm sure there are a few of the top Vic Vets whose stories would be interesting...and not just the retired ones either. Guys who are still actively playing, like Jim Kilderry, Case DeBondt, Buddy Reid, Igor Klaff and many others like them who are definitely in their twilight years would have some great stories to tell I'm sure.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2013, 21:23 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

True Reb. Jim and I play in the same pennant team and he has a wealth of stories going back to the 50s - champions of the hardbat era, the development of sponge rubber, playing in the British Open and the 1965 Worlds, etc. etc.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2013, 20:59 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
Came across this story...

http://www.irishtabletennis.com/itta/ne ... y_caffrey/

It was a bit before my time but the area where this guy grew up and trained (Tommy is still competing today) is where my dad & late mum moved to in the 90s. I recently umpired a match that he played in and I had the pleasure of having a knock up with him when we were waiting for a game.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2013, 22:32 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

A great story! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2013, 19:26 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I though I'd just give this thread a little bump... hoping that a few more people might see it. ;) :(

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2014, 21:58 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
haggisv wrote:
I though I'd just give this thread a little bump... hoping that a few more people might see it. ;) :(

Recent league match of the guy mentioned in my last post. His game has changed to what he used to play and unsure if he's using anti loop rubbers in this match. Great to see him active and still involved in TT putting younger and fitter players through their paces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xxnwMth ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2014, 23:14 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks for reviving this thread Multispoke!

I had high hopes we might just encourage a few of these players to share some of their stories.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 12:34 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
birding&tt used to represent Canada, he'll pop outta the woodwork soon enough.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 18:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes you're right, and he's shared some nice stories already, which was really good to read!

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2014, 20:12 

I was lucky enough to play the legend Tommy Caffrey in the vets internationals a couple of times about two years ago. Still a
class act. I think he was using anti-loop. He is also a class gentleman.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2014, 06:53 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Geodor wrote:
I was lucky enough to play the legend Tommy Caffrey in the vets internationals a couple of times about two years ago. Still a
class act. I think he was using anti-loop. He is also a class gentleman.

Thanks for bringing that up Geodor!

I did a little digging and found some history about Tommy Caffrey which I posted here

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2014, 10:16 
Comeback Chopper

Der_Echte wrote:
birding&tt used to represent Canada, he'll pop outta the woodwork soon enough.

Der_Echte was right, I'd eventually share one of my stories. This one involves Adham Sharara.

Back in November 1974, Adham, myself, and the rest of the Canadian team were staying at the Olympic Village in Tokyo. We were told that the gate to the entrance of the Olympic village closes rather early (perhaps something like 8:00pm). Adham, and a few other team members were out a little late, past the time that the gate closed. When it was time to go to sleep for the night, my teammates and I were rather worried, as Adham and some others were missing.

My room included 4 bunk beds, and I was in the lower bed next to the window. We were 3 or 4 floors above the ground level. Adham was one of my roommates.

In the morning, after getting dressed and going downstairs, I bumped into Adham. I told him that I had an interesting dream that night. I dreamt that I was looking out the window and saw him waving at me. Adham responded with "That wasn't a dream. I climbed up a tree a was banging on the window. You woke up, stared at me, and then went back to sleep. I kept on banging on the window, and you never woke up again." Adham wasn't too upset, and it did make for a great story.

I remember Adham as being rather careful. Risking his life climbing that tree was out of character for him.

The same story appeared on an ITTF website. I couldn't find the website today. The article was a biography of Adham. Fortunately, my name wasn't mentioned.

Steven

--------------
Returned to table tennis September 2011
Canada National Team Member, 1973-1975
--------------
1972-1987
Brickell Balsa/Birch 3-ply Blade
Yasaka Mark V 1.5mm
Joola Toni Hold AntiTopspin 2.5mm