OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2014, 08:13 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
Thanks for your additions, Baal.

My dealer is a high level player himself and he didn't really want to favour the SHA balls over the others. In his opinion, they just felt slightly different. I will probably also be able to play the Tibhar balls in our club next week, so I can compare them myself. Your explanation that they're all made in the same factory and just got a different label could be true, as this is how things go.

One thing I know is that I'm not going to spend (negative) energy to the plastic balls as long as there is no standard (if there will be one) and as long as our league still plays celluloid.

Baal wrote:
Pipsy wrote:
So I bought some Nittaku SHA 40+ made in China balls (not the premium Japan) because the seller said these played different than the other ones that I mentioned.

It's a seamed ball. Only played it for two minutes yesterday. Two things emerge:

- It is so damn hard to get the same amount of speed/spin with this ball (esp. when looping)
- The ball seems to be floating in the air so long... like playing in slow motion... which gives you (and your opponent of course) more time to react. For chopping this could be an advantage when using very grippy or short pimples. It will be easier to keep the ball on the table and there is more time to manipulate spin (but at the same time there is less spin to work with). Rallies could be longer.

More later

Pipsy wrote:
I'm going to my local shop next week and want to buy some plastic :sweat: to prepare for next season (2015-16) when our league will make the transition to the new balls

The shop only has these balls below:
- Joola Super-P***
- Donic 40+***
- Nittaku SHA 40+***
- Tibhar 40+ Syntt***

What would be best choice in terms of durability, bounce, "feeling", closest to what could be the standard? Are all seamless? Anyone who has experience with any of these balls?

Thank you

Your dealer doesn't know what he is talking about if he claims the Nittaku SHA is different from the others on your list. (That is useful information for you to know about this dealer if you buy other stuff from him in the future, he is more interested in making a sale than giving you accurate information that can be readily found). I have played with all of the ones you list. The Nittaku SHA is exactly the same as the other Chinese seamed balls on your list. They all have prominent seams, probably all are made by DHS at the same factory, differing only in the label, and they all have the properties of (1) very low bounce (biggest problem); (2) poor durability; (3) deviation from roundness, and (4) quite heavy (>2.80 grams). That is in addition to what you mentioned.

The only two plastic 40+ balls that don't have these problems are Chinese seamless balls (all made by XSF, and including Yinhe, Stag, Nexy, and some others); and the Nittaku Premium 40+ ball made in Japan.

If you can't find them at your dealer, you can buy them online. Now, all 40+ balls are a little slower and less spinny, that comes from the average of 0.5mm greater size, but it is easy to cope with that if the ball bounces properly. Among those two, the XSF balls (or balls made by them) are a bit easier to find, and a lot cheaper.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2014, 02:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I think that ITTF has made it very clear that celluloid balls are not going to become illegal, and there has been no indication from anyone as yet that they will stop being made. I think it is far better to use a celluloid ball than a really bad plastic ball, and most of the plastic balls marketed with labels of European companies are terrible. Very few European players have had the option to play with anything else as yet, so it doesn't surprise me at all that many leagues have made the decision to stick with celluloid. It would be the rational decision given the experience that the vast majority of European players will have had with plastic balls. I applaud it.

But, there are other choices in plastic balls, which come from two different factories. For some reason these have been more widely available in North America since this summer, although I think that is starting to change. (I think it is because we really have no native table tennis equipment company except maybe for Killerspin, and in the US Nittaku has probably been the most popular ball, and also North American vendors have always sold a really wide product range). In contrast to any seamed ball made in China, these two types of balls, Chinese seamless and NP40+, do represent a viable alternative--purely from a playing quality perspective. As I noted on other threads, the ITTF approced XSF is round, bounces high and clean, very easy to see, and amazingly durable. You can now buy it from Megaspin in bulk, 72 balls for 99 USD. That is less than the cost of Nittaku Premium Celluloid balls also sold in bulk, and the XSF is far more durable. The NP40+ is very expensive and much less durable by comparison to XSF or celluloid.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 01:24 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
For the record, those Nittaku SHA balls have code XHAD, meaning they're from August 2014... This could explain why they might play differently...?

Baal wrote:
Your dealer doesn't know what he is talking about if he claims the Nittaku SHA is different from the others on your list. (That is useful information for you to know about this dealer if you buy other stuff from him in the future, he is more interested in making a sale than giving you accurate information that can be readily found). I have played with all of the ones you list. The Nittaku SHA is exactly the same as the other Chinese seamed balls on your list. They all have prominent seams, probably all are made by DHS at the same factory, differing only in the label, and they all have the properties of (1) very low bounce (biggest problem); (2) poor durability; (3) deviation from roundness, and (4) quite heavy (>2.80 grams). That is in addition to what you mentioned.

The only two plastic 40+ balls that don't have these problems are Chinese seamless balls (all made by XSF, and including Yinhe, Stag, Nexy, and some others); and the Nittaku Premium 40+ ball made in Japan.

If you can't find them at your dealer, you can buy them online. Now, all 40+ balls are a little slower and less spinny, that comes from the average of 0.5mm greater size, but it is easy to cope with that if the ball bounces properly. Among those two, the XSF balls (or balls made by them) are a bit easier to find, and a lot cheaper.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2014, 07:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Pipsy wrote:
For the record, those Nittaku SHA balls have code XHAD, meaning they're from August 2014... This could explain why they might play differently...?

Baal wrote:

No, not based on some we have had here. Same old same old. I very much wish it was otherwise.