OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 05:27

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2015, 22:34 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Hello all, local tourneys are all using the Butterfly 40+ polyballs. Are there any alternative cheaper brands made by the same Manufacturer?

I have broken 6 in 2 weeks, and 2 in one night! I hate the variability between the different polyballs, so it's essential that I train with the BTY balls or their cheaper alternate brands made in the same factory.

According to this document, http://www.fftt.com/doc/Plastic_Balls_Q_A.pdf , looks like the balls are manufactured in the Nittaku factory...can't say for sure though.

We should have a chart that breaks down the 5 main manufacturers, and the brands that they make so that the information is comprehensive, because using the XSF seamless and a nittaku seamed poly is VERY different. The variation is maddening. :headbang:

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2015, 22:57 

Our club has had the same reaction. The Butterfly polys--like the Nittakus--are disastrous. They break easily and, compared to all the seamless polys made at the XSF factory, have wide variance in their flight compared to celluloid and seamless. Why the USATT and local clubs allow Butterfly $$$ to dictate the use of this ball is scandalous. Shades of FIFA. Local tournaments should have the testicular fortitude to just say "NO". Otherwise, this sport will suffer.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2015, 23:24 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Japsican wrote:
We should have a chart that breaks down the 5 main manufacturers, and the brands that they make so that the information is comprehensive, because using the XSF seamless and a nittaku seamed poly is VERY different. The variation is maddening. :headbang:

Like this one?
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26738&p=283842#p283842

I'm hoping we can confirm and check that list ;)

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2015, 23:27 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
Japsican wrote:
Hello all, local tourneys are all using the Butterfly 40+ polyballs. Are there any alternative cheaper brands made by the same Manufacturer?

I don't know if the DHS seamed poly ball is made by the same manufacturer as Butterfly but a guy in our club who is looking to qualify for the para Olympics is using the DHS seamed poly as a training ball.

I do agree that switching between using the seamless ball for training and the seamed is not going to do you any justice in playing tournaments. I'm now having difficulty going from seamed to seamless.

From what I heard butterfly have improved the quality of their ball but I really can't see how it's going to beat the durability of the seamless ball.

At the moment for 6 seamed Joola poly balls at €9 a packet I've gone through 4 packets in the last 3 weeks so I can totally empathise.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 04:19 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
haggisv wrote:
Japsican wrote:

Like this one?
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26738&p=283842#p283842

I'm hoping we can confirm and check that list ;)

GRrrrr, how did I miss this!? I searched, I promise. So, are we sure that the Double Fish manufacturer makes the BTY balls?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 11:15 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Japsican wrote:
So, are we sure that the Double Fish manufacturer makes the BTY balls?

Not 100% sure, but this was based on several people reporting that that they played virtually identical to double fish balls.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2015, 16:33 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
Possibly not relevant to the topic but got this from being on an email distribution list....

http://www.experttabletennis.com/best-t ... nis-balls/

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 14:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes I read that too... not really any more information there... My guess is most of the information came from the forums. ;)

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 22:44 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Count me as one of the few people who disagrees that the Butterfly balls play like the Double Fish ball. To me, it's like night and day. The Butterfly ball is just a weird Joola/DHS ball to me.

If you need a large volume, decent and cheap practice seamless ball, somewhat similar to Double Fish, try the Kinson 1* balls at TTNPP. They are very good quality plastic for the rating, volume and price. But remember, it's plastic!

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2015, 17:53 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

How about those NEW Butterfly poly balls? You know, the one where you had to scratch the balls to win a pack.. Anyone get theirs yet?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2015, 17:55 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

iskandar taib wrote:
How about those NEW Butterfly poly balls? You know, the one where you had to scratch the balls to win a pack.. Anyone get theirs yet?

Iskandar

They were not 3* balls... not sure if anyone got theirs yet though, it's been a while...

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2015, 02:11 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Well, they don't have a *** version YET, but I'm sure it's in the works. It'd be interesting to see what they're like - supposedly these are the mysterious Wiener balls... :lol:

Iskandar