OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 15:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2016, 14:26 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
Unsurprisingly, the 729 balls haven't yet arrived 5+ weeks after ordering. Not to worry.

Iskandar, apparently the Nittaku Premium 40+ are also ABS – it would be interesting to know how the Kingnik ABS compare. If the new DHS D40+ are also meant to be ABS, perhaps the Kingniks are identical to the D40+; or perhaps we are seeing 3 different brands of seamed ABS ball. If the play characteristics are similar, then it could be that the amount of 40+ variation is narrowing. But that's just me being hopeful.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2016, 17:18 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

So far, Kingnik's only been producing 1 star "premium" training balls in ABS (seamed). No three star balls (the three star Kingniks are seamless "PU" which I think is polyurethane). They do seem a little slow to me, although they bounce just as high as seamless balls.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2016, 19:10 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
donic training balls...they are durable enough and enable a decent degree of spin

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 09:56 
Super User

Just received my 729 1-star and 3-star seamless balls about 55 days after ordering. Funny thing about choosing the slowest/cheapest shipping from China: the longer it takes, the more likely it is that it's about to turn up, and the less likely it is that it will turn up at all!

Fortunately, the order did appear: 2 x 6-packs of 3-star and 2 x 10-packs of 1-star. However, the shipping carton was slightly crushed on one long edge, and on initial inspection, one box of 3-stars is ruined. 5 balls have very obvious flat spots, and the 6th in the box looks a little egg-ish.

More to follow, after I've had some time to check them out on the table.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 13:56 
Super User

Some quick-and-dirty experiments.

I got the flat spots out by putting each flat ball in a baby sock, then holding the sock in tongs and dipping it in a saucepan of boiling water for around 10 seconds; then cooling off the sock under cold running water.

Then I did a "spin test" of the repaired balls on a TT table. As a control I used a Chinese-made Stiga 3-star celluloid. If you place it face up and use your fingers to spin it around its vertical axis, the logo stays centred. I had a similar good result with the German-made Butterfly Master 40+ ball. Even the entry-level German-made Butterfly 40+ Easy Ball is comparable.

The logos on the repaired 3-star 729 seamless 40+ balls spun out to the periphery almost straight away, indicating persistent shape and/or balance issues, even though the flat spots were no longer visible.

The logos on the apparently undamaged 3-star 729 seamless 40+ balls stayed close to the centre for longer than the repaired ones. Eventually most of them still spun out to the edge.

The logos on the apparently undamaged 1-star 729 seamless 40+ balls did not spin out to the edge as fast as on the repaired 3-stars, and maybe spun out slightly sooner than the "good" 729 3-stars. But they still went out to the edge.

In terms of bounce, the Butterfly was highest, and the seamless fairly close. The celluloid wasn't much lower. However, the Butterfly kept bouncing for longer than the seamless or the celluloid. The seamless ball's duration of bounce seems to be closer to the celluloid ball's.

Do these observations seem to match what other people are seeing?

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 14:09 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

hangdog wrote:
Fortunately, the order did appear: 2 x 6-packs of 3-star and 2 x 10-packs of 1-star. However, the shipping carton was slightly crushed on one long edge, and on initial inspection, one box of 3-stars is ruined. 5 balls have very obvious flat spots, and the 6th in the box looks a little egg-ish.

Ow!! Bad packing. I've had packets of balls arrived crushed but I haven't had any balls damaged as a result - maybe it was adequate padding that made the difference. Take photos, send in a complaint, ask for a partial refund. AliExpress makes it relatively easy to do. I've had to resort to this a few times (bad memory products, sending one instead of two Google Cardboards, etc.).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 17:49 
Super User

I just let it slide. It's not that many, they don't cost that much and I can use the "boiled eggs" as practice balls.

I did suggest to eacheng that they use stronger shipping cartons for the 40+ balls in future, though. :)

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016, 07:54 

Blade: DHS H. Hao III
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05
BH: Bfly Tenergy 05FX
Hello,

I know it is an old thread now after over 1 month, but i think i should post my question here rather than start a new thread for almost the same topic.

I am thinking to buy balls for training or practice, minimum 100, so i will go with something like those 120 packs, but i really don't know which brand or model of balls i should avoid before i buy them, any recommendations?

I have that 6 balls of XSF 3-stars and they are very very nice balls, i play with a friend for many times or hours and the balls are really nice durability, it is very much like an old balls [celluloid i mean] style, but it is really expensive and i didn't find that pack of many balls of this brand.

Nittaku and Tibhar plastic balls are nice, but i think they are expensive as packs, i found Donic but i don't know how good those, if you know something else please let me know.

Just as a side question, should i practice with plastic balls when i am not playing any tournaments and some play with old balls and other times with plastic balls? what will be the problem if i just practice with non plastic balls but i play with plastic balls when needed?

Main blade is under my profile name.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016, 13:36 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Write to Minkow to see if there is a dealer for your geographical location. If there isn't, order some of their premium seamless practice balls - they are excellent. They aren't bargain basement price-wise, though (about a dollar apiece).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016, 22:29 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
TareqPhoto wrote:
Hello,

I know it is an old thread now after over 1 month, but i think i should post my question here rather than start a new thread for almost the same topic.

I am thinking to buy balls for training or practice, minimum 100, so i will go with something like those 120 packs, but i really don't know which brand or model of balls i should avoid before i buy them, any recommendations?

I have that 6 balls of XSF 3-stars and they are very very nice balls, i play with a friend for many times or hours and the balls are really nice durability, it is very much like an old balls [celluloid i mean] style, but it is really expensive and i didn't find that pack of many balls of this brand.

Nittaku and Tibhar plastic balls are nice, but i think they are expensive as packs, i found Donic but i don't know how good those, if you know something else please let me know.

Just as a side question, should i practice with plastic balls when i am not playing any tournaments and some play with old balls and other times with plastic balls? what will be the problem if i just practice with non plastic balls but i play with plastic balls when needed?

You can find packs of 72/144 of XSF here:

http://en.dandoy-sports.eu/balls.html#m ... _data=true

This guy ships to anywhere in the world.

If you're playing tournaments, it's better to train exclusively with the plastic balls. Otherwise your timing might be off when playing with the plastic balls.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016, 22:48 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
I'm getting the ap seamless plastic balls for training balls soon. either the 1 star or 2 star, anyone tried them before and might shed some light on it?

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2016, 19:06 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Although you ask for plastic training balls we actually find the old 1 star celluloid training balls play pretty similar to plastic balls, more so than the 3 star celluloid and our juniors don't notice the difference so we're just using up old stock of celluoid balls.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2016, 22:34 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Debater wrote:
Although you ask for plastic training balls we actually find the old 1 star celluloid training balls play pretty similar to plastic balls, more so than the 3 star celluloid and our juniors don't notice the difference so we're just using up old stock of celluoid balls.

We used to use orange Stiga cell training balls and we now train with 3* white XSF. It's impossible to switch between both. My team mate used the cell on a robot and then came to the table using the XSF. His timing was completely off. He didn't recover from it that evening.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2016, 00:51 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
I think it still depends on the level of the players, and how significantly the weight of the balls differ.

even 40+ plastic balls differ in weights between brands and 1*-3*.

My dhs 3 star balls is a tad heavier than the xushaofa 3 star balls that's generally used in my club, and its still possible to adjust to the weight within a game or two, still depends on the player themselves.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2016, 01:27 
Joo Too
Joo Too

kim biceps wrote:
I think it still depends on the level of the players, and how significantly the weight of the balls differ.

even 40+ plastic balls differ in weights between brands and 1*-3*.

My dhs 3 star balls is a tad heavier than the xushaofa 3 star balls that's generally used in my club, and its still possible to adjust to the weight within a game or two, still depends on the player themselves.

True. The player I was talking about, takes everything when the ball is still rising. Timing is therefore extra crucial for him. Still if you play a fast game or at a level where automatics are becoming more and more important I'd advise against using cell balls for training.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next