OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2017, 17:55 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
Baal wrote:

OK. So just to be clear, you have stated clearly that you dislike seamless balls, Butterfly G40+ and the Nittaku Premiums. The only 40+ balls you (and your slick-anti friends) like are the seamed cellulose acetate balls made in China, most of which are re-branded versions of DHS. Everyone has their likes and dislikes but people should interpret anything you say about 40+ balls with that in mind. Given what you have said, I can promise that you will also dislike D40+.

i never wrote that i "dislike seamless balls", i always specifically stated which exact brand of ball generates spin and which one doesnt. i think you are mising the point. this discussion is not about what i like "subjectively" and also is not a statement about durability or quality. from a 20 year+ experience as a player playing 1st and 2cnd national league, i guess i have some sense of the fundamentals of tabletennis equipment. the balls that i criticize can have all the quality/durability they want, but they generate less spin than the balls i wrote positively about. slick anti players are affected by this more strongly, as spinless loops behave entirely differenty than ones with spin when coming into contact with the anti. the balls which generate less spin are much harder to control and bounce of highly and its a difference between night and day. so i really dont care if you or anyone else prefers one ball above another or if whatever defensive player with long pips likes balls XYZ, thats not the issue and i have no beef with that. the issue at hand is that certain plastic balls generate much less spin and that is an undisputable fact. all i am saying is that players who want to enjoy more spin in their game should be cautious about the ball they are playing with and the differences that exist.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 00:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

AA you wrote "i have tried nearly all of the most common polyballs and the ones clearly different (and worse) than the others are the g40, the nittaku premium, hanno and joola flash". [emphasis added] You wrote that on this thread!

OK fine, but the Joola Flash and Hanno 40+ are seamless. And all of the seamless balls are re-branded versions of the same thing. You may not have written "I don't like seamless" but what you wrote means you don't like seamless, which is fine. But it indicates the quite limited range of balls you like. You are entitled to your opinion and I can see why someone who plays with a slick anti would like Chinese cellulose acetate seamed balls.

Just know that I have put quite a lot of research into this subject, and I have been playing this sport since 1969. I have gone to the length of reading abstracts of some of the patents that went into this, and I followed very closely how this all came into being. The bad news for you is that the balls you prefer are probably going to disappear because celluloid production ball production will almost certainly stop, and DHS would not have made the investment and pricing decisions they have made on these ABS balls if they had intended to continue production of cellulose acetate 40+ balls that have been widely criticized by so many players and officials. (There is an entire thread here at OOAK on criticism the Chinese seamed cellulose acetate 40+ balls have received viewtopic.php?f=83&t=30239 but there is a whole lot more negative stuff written about them on the English language websites).

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 01:44 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Sort of an aside - do you have a list of patents? I'd like to see some of them, such as the one for making seamless balls. The machinery must be very interesting.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 02:09 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
A slight diversion, but I actually prefer the Butterfly 40+ balls to the G40+ balls, and they're cheaper too. They play truer to me and don't have the off-putting sound.

185g

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 03:04 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
Baal wrote:
AA you wrote "i have tried nearly all of the most common polyballs and the ones clearly different (and worse) than the others are the g40, the nittaku premium, hanno and joola flash". [emphasis added] You wrote that on this thread!

if i say that jimmy, johnny and samantha (who are all cats) misbehave, is that a general statement about all cats on the planet? as i cannot rule out that there are seamless balls that dont fall into the category that i dislike, i never made such a statement and you should refrain from interpreting something i wrote into that direction.

Baal wrote:
The bad news for you is that the balls you prefer are probably going to disappear because celluloid production ball production will almost certainly stop, and DHS would not have made the investment and pricing decisions they have made on these ABS balls if they had intended to continue production of cellulose acetate 40+ balls that have been widely criticized by so many players and officials.

there actually is no bad news for two reasons. 1) i have directly contacted companies such as donic and have official responses claiming that they have no plans of stopping production of their current balls and that both types of polyballs will continue to be sold and produced next to each other. 2) the issue with the g40/premium can be resolved by using a slick anti with a lower throw. in my case, that lack of spin is beneficial to the short pips on my forehand.

all major defensive players that i know (long pimples) have made their clubs use the current donic ball, as it generates most spin and they despise the g40/premium for the opposite reason

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 03:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

AA you are free to say that. And people who have played with many different brands of seamless balls can evaluate that accordingly.

OK, I'm out.

Last edited by Baal on 16 Mar 2017, 03:38, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 03:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

so_devo wrote:
A slight diversion, but I actually prefer the Butterfly 40+ balls to the G40+ balls, and they're cheaper too. They play truer to me and don't have the off-putting sound.

As much as I hate the cellulose acetate balls, I have to say that I agree with this. I have come to really hate the G40+ balls!

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 03:47 

Blade: Bty Timo Boll ALC
FH: Yasaka Rakza Po max
BH: DMS Storkraft 1.2
I agree with Amir. Bty g40+, XSF and Joola flash loose spin very fast. Anti spin play with seamless balls is almost impossible. This ball is good for bang-bang play, with short pimple for example. Balls with seam has maybe the same spin as celluloid balls and spin stay longer on balls. DHS 40+, Yasaka 40+, Andro 40+ are good in this sense. :D Durability and round are not so good, unfortunately. I have never tried Nitaku and Donic seemed balls, because there is no dealer in Serbia.

For example, with DHS 40+ i beat 5 players in training matches, where one of them is in top 16 in Serbia. :rofl: After couple of days we played again, and i loss all 5 matches against the same players, i won only one set with Bty g40+. ;( I felt that i played with round STONE without rotations ! I felt completely unarmed. :@

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2018, 00:14 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
In the 2nd half of 2017 I did train several times with the G40+ before meeting a team or entering a tournament that probably would use this ball. At the end it was one tournament where the G40+ was in use - and I actually won the final with it. So, the last time I did use the G40+ it has been about 2 months ago and since then table tennis was peaceful. Until...

Yesterday we played a team unknown to us and they also did use the G40+, it came out of a sudden and again, it did feel like I haven't trained at all the past months. Odd trajectory of the ball, mismatch of timing and so on. 30 mins of hitting didn't fix the issues and despite of knowing the differences between the balls I wasn't able to react appropriately against shots and so on, I now felt like Kreanga or Weixing playing against Zhang Guochi - like if the table has been turned.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2018, 10:52 

Blade: Gatien Extra Avalox P500
FH: K1 Hybrid Tuple 007 PRO
BH: V402DE Rasant
AA wrote:
the g40+ ball is the worst of all available balls in terms of spin (a lot less spin) and if you play with a slick anti, its like a different sport. this comes from someone who has had no probem with the other polyballs. the nittaku premium is in between the g40+ and most other available polyballs.

3 years later and this is still true.

Compared to these balls, the DHS D40+ is the most fun to play with, but DHS' "quality control" means there is still too much "random number generator" surprises.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2018, 03:49 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Anyone know why the seamless balls bounce sideways so much? Despite people saying they "lose spin".. apparently they KEEP the sidespin! I actually like them over the other balls.

Iskandar

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!