OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 16:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Greatest number of poly balls you've broken in a session.
0 16%  16%  [ 4 ]
1 16%  16%  [ 4 ]
2 28%  28%  [ 7 ]
3 24%  24%  [ 6 ]
4 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
7 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
7+ 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 25
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2016, 12:33 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Baal wrote:
Butterfly G40+ is a strange ball. Very weird sound and they come with a very smooth surface which affects the way they play and fly through the air. Good bounce height, unusually straight and fast trajectory, but the durability issue with these is not that they break, but that the surface very very rapidly gets even smoother and shinier, and this makes them hard to use. This is as bad as fracture if you ask me. I dislike them a lot when they get very shiny, and so tend not to use them long enough to break them.

Maybe they just need some mud.

http://gizmodo.com/5850268/every-baseba ... -gets-used

:lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2016, 17:47 
Super User

Blade: GiantDragon Kris2
FH: DHS H3 Neo
BH: Who Knows???
Since I voted 0, I've broken two in two separate sessions (Nittaku Premium 40+ I think - I'll find out later). One was from a smash, another was from bouncing the ball on the floor! :D

EDIT: No, they're Donic. I broke two Butterfly ones the other day in one session. :lol:

Help me find a new blade please!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

Last edited by Musicfreak0 on 26 Jul 2016, 16:31, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2016, 23:51 
Super User

dunc wrote:
haven't broken a single XSF ball (even the training balls) apart from standing on them

Same here - on any ball I have used.

Using Donic Coash 40+ and Schildkott equivalent for trianing. XSF for matches, and mostly Butterfly G40 for ranking tournaments. My friend breaks at least two a session, top edging.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2016, 07:57 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Using the Kingnik, none broken all season at all!

Still do not like the fecker though, still spending oodles to be happy with my bat!

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2016, 21:30 

A few practice sessions ago, we broke two Butterfly 40+ (1 was new) and a Joola Super 40+ (new) within a 1.5 hour session. We are both strong counter attackers. The Butterfly balls were complete junk from the beginning. These aren't the g40 balls. These are the ones that came out prior, made in China. The Joola balls, we've had pretty good success with over a decent duration of time. When a Joola ball finally goes, it explodes, thus making the loss of one exhilarating.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2016, 21:36 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
In a 20 minute training session helping another player last night we broke 3 in about 10 minutes. Mind you it was a multiball session and he did stand on all three of them.

These plastic balls, what's the world coming to when they can't withstand a 15 stone player standing on them. :(

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2016, 23:52 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
a few weeks ago I broke 3 in a multiball session. They can't stand me.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2016, 17:05 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
so_devo wrote:
I can remember evenings where we've broken 6+ celluloid balls... My opinion is that the current poly balls (in our case xsf and butterfly seamed) are at least as durable, if not better.

At one club, still use celluloid balls either Gambler 3* or DHS 3*, we never break any unless some one accidentally steps on them. We have walls of drywall.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2016, 23:39 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
One maximum at a session

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2016, 01:04 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Debater wrote:
These plastic balls, what's the world coming to when they can't withstand a 15 stone player standing on them. :(

:D

The only plastic balls I've seen break are those which have been stood on, and those which have been aggressively top-edged. The latter does seem to break plastic balls more than celluloid balls, but I've still only seen it happen 3 times since the plastic ball came out.

In short, no major durability issues for me.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2016, 07:18 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Very few breakages after the very early batches. I can remember two or three occasions, usually as a result of a top edge. Don't seem to be particularly more fragile than the old celluloid balls, at least to me.

Note this includes many hundreds of balls of multiball a week for the last six months, with 1* training balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2016, 10:58 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Would be useful if the anecdotes included which brand polyball was being talked about.

At 2 recent money tournaments in Sydney Australia there were many breakages until we were reduced to choosing the least worst balls that were left (DHS 40+). Balls used were due to sponsorship.

At the recent Australian Veterans tournament, there were many breakages and / or crap balls out of the box (DHS 40+). Balls used were due to sponsorship.

At the Bennelong Cup there was a higher than I expected compared to 40mm breakage and / or crap balls out of the box (NP40+). Not sure why these were used.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2016, 00:12 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
In 3 multiballs session, none of my AP 2* seamless ball is broken. highly recommended.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2016, 00:20 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Retriever wrote:
Would be useful if the anecdotes included which brand polyball was being talked about.

I standardised on the XSF 3* and training balls, but have also extensively used the Donic 40+ training balls. All have been fine. In tournaments I've used the Butterfly G40+ which have been ok (but I haven't enjoyed playing with them as much) and the Joola. No breakages.

The ones which have broken were Tibhar (seamed, I think).

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2016, 01:01 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
There is generally less breakages at my club now. However, that has nowhere approached zero still. One night a few weeks ago (on a Thursday), we were using Nittaku Japanese 3 stars and 4 or 5 broke within ONE set! Now this was extraordinary as these balls tend to be the most durable of all the poly balls we've had, and yet it happened.

We are also using Joola balls again on Monday nights (after a stint with the Jap Nittakus). The Joola balls feel terrible compared to the Nttakus, as they are noticeably lighter and behave differently off the bat (especially off the pips). It takes some getting used to moving between these balls. Our A1 grades on Mondays and Thursdays still use the Nittaku's. Everyone else gets the Joola's. I'm A1 on Thursdays, but A3 on Mondays. So I have to be used to both balls. The interesting thing is how durable the Joola's now seem to be (when my experience with them in the past was they broke very quickly).

Seems like there is more breakages being experienced by us Aussies than anyone else on the forum from what I'm seeing. I wonder if there's anything in this....like we get sent inferior balls...or something in our customs processes makes them more susceptible to damage |(

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.