OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 22:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: DHS 1-star D40+ balls
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2016, 23:01 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
Just ordered a box to try out:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DHS-2016 ... .56.ubcQX2

They're USD8.42 for 10. I expect they'll show up at my house around the end of October. I'll compare them against the Nittaku 3-star Premium 40+ first up, to see if the "Nittaku copy" rumour about the D40+ seems true. Other people will probably have made the comparison by then, given the slowness of the "free" delivery option.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2016, 00:55 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
ah cant wait the reviews then , I'm currently using the nittaku 3 star myself

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2016, 14:19 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Isn't the DHS 40+ ball the one that they use in all the major tournaments and the one that everyone likes to complain about? These would simply be the cheaper version of those, wouldn't they?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2016, 14:28 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
iskandar taib wrote:
Isn't the DHS 40+ ball the one that they use in all the major tournaments and the one that everyone likes to complain about? These would simply be the cheaper version of those, wouldn't they?

Nope, that the regular DHS 40+, this is the new one the D40+.

I look forwards to hearing about it as well... the D40+ 3* does not seems to be available through official distributors yet.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2016, 20:39 
Super User

The suspense is almost over. The new 1-star D40+ balls are ready to be collected from the post office, which I'll do before tomorrow's group coaching.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2016, 11:14 
Super User

Haven't had a chance to hit much with the 1* D40+ yet. I did some bounce tests with the Nittaku Premium 40+. The D40+ seems to bounce a fraction lower – not much – but frequency of bounce is very similar. I haven't yet formed an opinion on whether the D40+ deserves to be called a clone of the NP40+, a near copy, or a distinctly different ball. I'll try some separate practice games with them sometime this week.

Diameter of the 1* D40+ is very close to the NP40+. By comparison, the 729 seamless 1* and 3* are noticeably bigger. Oddly, the Yinhe 2* seamless that I bought with the D40+ were closer in size to the D40+. Maybe the 729 seamless are made in a different factory to the Yinhe.

Of the Chinese-made balls, only the 729 seamless 3* had a production date, January 2016 (XAAF). The Japanese-made NP40+ was from September 2015 (XIAE). The others aren't 3-star ITTF-approved and have no date labelling requirement.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016, 20:45 

Blade: Nittaku Goriki SD
FH: Donic Baracuda Max
BH: Tibhar Grass D.TecS OX
They are made with the new material? Not "classic" poly, but cellulose acetate?
I'm curious to know.. how works..

The Ultimate Light Saber
Blade Nittaku Goriki SuperDrive FH Donic Baracuda Max BH Tibhar Grass D.TecS OX + Toni Hold Dumpening Sponge 0.5 mm
Blade Nittaku Goriki SuperDrive FH Donic Baracuda Max BH der-Materialspezialist Megablock 1.5mm
Blade Nittaku Goriki FH Donic Baracuda Max BH Tibhar Grass D.TecS OX + Toni Hold Dumpening Sponge 0.5 mm
Blade Nittaku Violoncello FH Donic Baracuda Max BH Der-Materialspezialist Elimination Extralong OX
Blade Nittaku Violoncello FH Donic Baracuda Max BH der-Materialspezialist Megablock 2.0mm

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2016, 14:29 
Super User

I've heard that the D40+ is ABS, and that the Nittaku Premium 40+ (& maybe other non-SHA Nittaku 40+?) is ABS also.

The D40+ doesn't sound quite the same as the NP40+, yet I'd be hard-pressed to say if it differs in a way that's important to me. It didn't evoke the same feeling of instant dislike that I had for the original low-bouncing DHS 40+, but I might have to find an "old" DHS 40+ to make sure I'm not just imagining that the new D40+ is different. Still haven't had any games with the D40+, only practice rallies.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2016, 14:33 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Not sure what the DHS balls were/are made of. Double Fish are cellulose acetate, and they recently went through a "new material" switch recently, too. I don't think DHS would actually switch materials (Double Fish didn't), they'd probably tweak the existing material. Change additives, etc.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2016, 16:14 
Super User

Part of the information was from here, although it lacks detail and is secondhand: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_po ... ?TID=74937

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2016, 19:44 
Super User

TT11 now has the D40+ in both 1-star and 2-star. Pricing is quite a bit lower than on aliexpress, that is if you make a big enough order to get free freight.

TT11 refers to the D40+ as the "Dual", and the description is: "The DHS Dual is a 40+ plastic seam ball that combines the benefits of being approved by the CTTA and being perfect for a player who is on a budget. DHS has implemented a new manufacturing method that allows them to create this quality plastic ball for a cheaper price. This gives the ball a more plastic sound, but the price more than makes up for it."

I've ordered some of the D40+ 2-star as well as (reluctantly) some "old" DHS 40+ 3-stars for comparison.

This evening I did some informal bounce testing of D40+ 1-star vs some Tibhar Basic 40+ (which I think, but am not certain, are OEM'd "old" DHS 40+), and the D40+ bounced slightly higher and kept bouncing for slightly longer.

With the D40+ and the Nittaku J-tops now available, it looks like there are now several decent options in the 40+ training ball market.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2016, 06:26 
Super User

The 2-star D40+ and the 3-star DHS (non-D)40+ are here. I'll try to see how different the D40+ are from the reviled DHS 40+.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2016, 05:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

hangdog wrote:
The 2-star D40+ and the 3-star DHS (non-D)40+ are here. I'll try to see how different the D40+ are from the reviled DHS 40+.

Hi
still looking to hear from you.

What is your own experience with the D40+ ball ?
Which virtues / disadvatages of the ball did you notice ? Looking for your review impatiently.

Thanks.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2016, 08:14 
Super User

I haven't spent a lot of time with the D40+ because group coaching and pennant matches, which take up most of my playing time, use other balls (mostly Nittaku J-Top 40+ for coaching and mostly Stiga celluloid 3* for pennant).

Still, these are my impressions:

D40+ plays and sounds less "soft" than the DHS 40+ 3*.

D40+ bounces slightly higher than the DHS 40+ 3*.

D40+ has similar bounce height to the NP40+.

D40+ sounds different to the NP40+.

Everybody at group coaching seems to like the Nittaku J-tops. They don't look weird, sound weird or bounce weird – they don't draw attention to themselves like many non-celluloid balls do. The Butterfly Easy Ball was more polarising – I didn't mind it (although it was an acquired taste), but others hated the sound and/or the high bounce.