OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2017, 18:46 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
so_devo wrote:
First impressions of the D40+. I received the 72 balls in 6 boxes of 10 and then 12 in a poly bag. I put the 12 in my kit and as I was first to the club I tested them all for roundness doing a visible spin on the table test. I assume most are familiar with this. All appeared very round.

Visually they are a slightly creamy/off white colour. The new ball residue dust seems to last longer than usual and marks your rubbers for longer than I would expext from others.

The venue yesterday is notoriously slow so I'd like to use them elsewhere before giving a full seal of approval, but they (we used 2 on 2 tables) played very well with a consistent bounce and in 3 hours total breakage was zero.

At this price point (just under 50p a ball) it looks very encouraging.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I assume these are the 1* ones?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2017, 19:27 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
haggisv wrote:
so_devo wrote:
First impressions of the D40+. I received the 72 balls in 6 boxes of 10 and then 12 in a poly bag. I put the 12 in my kit and as I was first to the club I tested them all for roundness doing a visible spin on the table test. I assume most are familiar with this. All appeared very round.

Visually they are a slightly creamy/off white colour. The new ball residue dust seems to last longer than usual and marks your rubbers for longer than I would expext from others.

The venue yesterday is notoriously slow so I'd like to use them elsewhere before giving a full seal of approval, but they (we used 2 on 2 tables) played very well with a consistent bounce and in 3 hours total breakage was zero.

At this price point (just under 50p a ball) it looks very encouraging.

I assume these are the 1* ones?

No, they are 3*

185g

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2017, 19:29 

Blade: Soulspin Basalt
FH: Victas 402 Limber
BH: GD Cropcircles OX
I ordered 12 of the 3* balls from Ali Express (with Ding Ying's photo on the box) and played with them on the weekend at two venues, one with quite fast tables and the other with a very fast table. I played a chopper and a looper at the first venue and the club coach at the second.

I paid $15 for 12 balls with free shipping to the UK so about £1 a ball but so-devo ordered from TTNP where the same balls are 72 for $40 with free shipping so less than half the price of Ali Express.

My impresssions are similar to so-devo's and I don't think I'd have a problem playing matches with these balls. The chopper I played found much more difficulty playing against my OX backhand relative to Yinhe 40+ that he usually plays with. We had no breakages.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2017, 08:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Yes the dust is a feature of ABS balls I think. Also happens with Nittaku Premium.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2017, 14:27 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

so_devo wrote:
No, they are 3*

As far as I know, DHS only packs the 3* in packs of 6. :o :o :o

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2017, 14:36 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate II
FH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
BH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
haggisv wrote:
so_devo wrote:
No, they are 3*

As far as I know, DHS only packs the 3* in packs of 6. :o :o :o

Several people have reported receiving them in packs of 10. I'm expecting my order any day now. I'm hoping it's packs of 6 as it makes it easier to resell.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2017, 15:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

It's the 1* DHS balls that come in packs of 10.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2017, 15:33 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate II
FH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
BH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
Someone posted this at TTD. The long box in the middle appears to be a 10 pack of 3* balls. You can see the '3' to the right of the box.

This was posted at MYTT.

Last edited by GMan4911 on 28 Mar 2017, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2017, 15:41 
Blockhead
Blockhead

185g

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2017, 17:56 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Interesting... they must have more options in the (internal) Chinese market, because only the pack/6 seems to be available for the export market, and 10pack is for their 1* balls. They used the convention for their regular plastic DHS 3* balls.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2017, 20:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:
Interesting... they must have more options in the (internal) Chinese market, because only the pack/6 seems to be available for the export market, and 10pack is for their 1* balls. They used the convention for their regular plastic DHS 3* balls.

Another ten-ball box example here: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_po ... ril#973199

I guess the key is whether or not it says D40+ on the balls and if there are three stars. Things like packaging can change quickly and we are in the very early days of the release of these balls.

You can see many reviews of the D40+ ball on the thread at MyTT linked below. They start on the 5th page of the thread (the first five pages are mostly a year's worth of comments about people wondering when we would ever see the balls on the market). My review was the first one, about half way down page 5, pretty much the same as what I wrote here. Thereafter you can find the comments of many other users. There is now a pretty strong consensus.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_po ... =12#973212

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2017, 23:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

For people who were worried that pros might not like these balls:

Dima Ovtcharov likes the new DHS D40+ ball. He comments that it has a very regular bounce, and is hard and round, and "a huge improvement from the balls we've been using lately that have been breaking way to often. ... Great step for improving table tennis!"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSQL93RDqE6/

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 00:07 
Blockhead
Blockhead

3 sessions and a match so far on the same ball. Numerous top edges. No breakages. :up: :up: :up:

185g

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 00:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Red wrote:
@magnuseffekt

Didn't you have G40+ turning blank also? You only mention NP with this 'feature', I and some others got BTY G40-balls that became blank and oddly smooth quite quickly which should turn down their long-lasting-claim quite severely, imho.

I can directly address this. The G40+ is too smooth to start with and gets so smooth it is even more unplayable very quickly. I really dislike those balls! It's not just the sound. A big disappointment.

The D40+ is nothing like this. It has the same texture out of the box as a Nittaku -- not too smooth -- and for some reason seems to retain that texture very much longer than the Nittaku (or really anything else I have tried). Actually, that is a strong positive for seamless balls also.

The thing about ball durability is not just that the ball should not break easily, it should also retain maximum playability for a long time. It should not get too smooth too fast, it should not dent, and it should stay round. The D40+ is superior to other balls I have tried (which is pretty much extensive experience with all of them) when you take all of this into consideration. Interestingly, I think it retains a playable surface even longer than Nittaku, and I am not sure why that is the case, but I am now quite sure of it. Seamless is a durable ball in terms of not breaking but with modest use can get out of round, which is why I think D40+ even surpasses those in terms of durability.

Cellulose acetate balls are all too often not round to start, and get worse fast, and as Next Level pointed out, a lot of the spin behavior people discern in those is a combination of low bounce and deviation from roundness.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 00:39 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Baal wrote:
Red wrote:
@magnuseffekt

Didn't you have G40+ turning blank also? You only mention NP with this 'feature', I and some others got BTY G40-balls that became blank and oddly smooth quite quickly which should turn down their long-lasting-claim quite severely, imho.

I can directly address this. The G40+ is too smooth to start with and gets so smooth it is even more unplayable very quickly. I really dislike those balls! It's not just the sound. A big disappointment.

The D40+ is nothing like this. It has the same texture out of the box as a Nittaku -- not too smooth -- and for some reason seems to retain that texture very much longer than the Nittaku (or really anything else I have tried). Actually, that is a strong positive for seamless balls also.

The thing about ball durability is not just that the ball should not break easily, it should also retain maximum playability for a long time. It should not get too smooth too fast, it should not dent, and it should stay round. The D40+ is superior to other balls I have tried (which is pretty much extensive experience with all of them) when you take all of this into consideration. Interestingly, I think it retains a playable surface even longer than Nittaku, and I am not sure why that is the case, but I am now quite sure of it. Seamless is a durable ball in terms of not breaking but with modest use can get out of round, which is why I think D40+ even surpasses those in terms of durability.

Cellulose acetate balls are all too often not round to start, and get worse fast, and as Next Level pointed out, a lot of the spin behavior people discern in those is a combination of low bounce and deviation from roundness.

The durability point about seamless missing from the reply above is their vulnerability to breaking on a 'top edge' shot. It kills 90% of the seamless balls that we use. The D40+ seems robust in this aspect.

185g

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next