OOAK Table Tennis Forum
http://ooakforum.com/

DHS D40+ three star balls, good news
http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=31070
Page 8 of 10

Author:  suds79 [ 11 May 2017, 00:21 ]
Post subject:  Re: DHS D40+ three star balls, good news

I need more time with them. Have only hit with them twice. have had a cold sing then. :(

Anyways, I can't tell a difference between this new DHS ball and our Gambler seamless 3 star ball which our club uses and like a lot.

However i play a pips/hitting game. I wanted to see what inverted players thought of it. My training partner said to me he didn't notice a difference. Jarry, who helps run the club, said 2 players didn't like it as much. All the others thought it played good. I need to get more feedback before we decide.

But at 60 cents a ball, that's pretty darn good for a club ball. Our Gambler balls are a dollar a ball which comparatively speaking to other plastic balls, is a good price. So this 60 cents a ball is crazy.

Author:  nathanso [ 01 Jun 2017, 02:30 ]
Post subject:  Re: DHS D40+ three star balls, good news

I finally broke my first DHS D40+! It broke on impact in dramatic fashion as I pummeled a BH flat hit with my 755 OX. This was actually a fairly new D40+ as I've been using others for far longer (10h+) with no breakage. This one cracked on its seam.

Author:  Retriever [ 15 Jun 2017, 07:49 ]
Post subject:  Re: DHS D40+ three star balls, good news

Our local association has put in an order with the OOAK shop for this ball on my recommendation. I think the price helped too. Hopefully I'll get to hit with them in the not too distant future.

Author:  Lorre [ 14 Jul 2017, 06:25 ]
Post subject:  Re: DHS D40+ three star balls, good news

I've tried the D40 3* ball for the first time this evening. First against a player who plays first National, the division below Super which contains players like Saive. Second was a powerlooper my rating (+-2100-2200 USATT). I wish I had some better news, but the ball is made for powerloopers and hitters. It's very hard to load the spin. Only with a very fine touch you're able to load the spin enough so the known spin effects happen, even when the player is in position (topspin let the ball fly out of the table, backspin makes the player net the ball). It's still enough e.g. to let a pleyer net the ball when he's mispositioned when he attacks your chop.

It seems like the ball tops when it comes to spin. There's only a maximum rotation possible. I'd put it in the lowest half of the plastic balls when it comes to spin, next to Nittaku Premium, below seamless and below the first gen plastic garbage.

So now we have three types of balls: one that doesn't bounce regularly and breaks if you touch it, one that does spin well but bounces too high and one that bounces lower, but doesn't spin enough.

I suspect this ball, after a transitioning period, will mean the end of defensive play at the highest level. Control players like Samsonov will suffer. Powerloopers like the young Harimoto will have the time of their lives with this ball. If you like diversity, TT will become a boring game, even more than it already is now.

Author:  darucla [ 14 Jul 2017, 07:05 ]
Post subject:  Re: DHS D40+ three star balls, good news

Joo beat Harimoto using this ball at the T2.

Author:  Retriever [ 14 Jul 2017, 07:45 ]
Post subject:  Re: DHS D40+ three star balls, good news

I have just received a box of these, effectively in recompense for supplying a dozen celluloid balls at a new club.

Depending on what happens, I might play with them tonight, tomorrow afternoon, Sunday afternoon or Monday night, or all 4 :).

I have previously played with Stag 40+ (seamless), DHS 40+, NP40+, so it will be interesting to see how they are in comparison.

Author:  iskandar taib [ 14 Jul 2017, 20:25 ]
Post subject:  Re: DHS D40+ three star balls, good news

Apparently this match (posted under "videos" by someone else earlier):



Dunno.. Joo really seems to crank up the backspin on those chops!

Iskandar

Author:  Lorre [ 14 Jul 2017, 21:47 ]
Post subject:  Re: DHS D40+ three star balls, good news

darucla wrote:
Joo beat Harimoto using this ball at the T2.


Yes, on experience. Don't forget he lost the first game. My prediction is all attackers will become guys like Harimoto, more than they are now already. Given the current speed and the limited spin it'll be the death penalty for defenders at the highest level.

iskandar taib wrote:
Dunno.. Joo really seems to crank up the backspin on those chops!


Besides one or two which are perfect chops and are dumped in the net by Harimoto, the rest is almost handled the same: loopdrive.


I forgot to mention the looper around my level commented that with seamless my chops halted in the air (i.e. indicating a large amount of backspin), while with the D40+ they floated more and didn't halt as much (i.e. indicating less or no backspin at all).

Author:  kaesees [ 15 Jul 2017, 00:40 ]
Post subject:  Re: DHS D40+ three star balls, good news

You'll find a mixed bag of evidence looking at Joo's T2APAC games. Chuang Chih-Yuan struggled against him (but he always does - I don't think he's ever beaten Joo). Chen Chien-An on the other hand was absolutely teeing off on Joo's FH chops. Shang Kun and Shibaev were somewhere in the middle.

In the Harimoto game, Joo played more offensive than he has in years IMO and also mixed in some of those (incredibly satisfying) BH down-the-line putaways. You'd think Harimoto would never give those opportunities since Muramatsu loves them, but then again he is only 14.

Author:  Lorre [ 15 Jul 2017, 01:56 ]
Post subject:  Re: DHS D40+ three star balls, good news

kaesees wrote:
You'll find a mixed bag of evidence looking at Joo's T2APAC games. Chuang Chih-Yuan struggled against him (but he always does - I don't think he's ever beaten Joo). Chen Chien-An on the other hand was absolutely teeing off on Joo's FH chops. Shang Kun and Shibaev were somewhere in the middle.

In the Harimoto game, Joo played more offensive than he has in years IMO and also mixed in some of those (incredibly satisfying) BH down-the-line putaways. You'd think Harimoto would never give those opportunities since Muramatsu loves them, but then again he is only 14.


Yes, I find that too. But I found it quite alarming the way Chen just laughed at Joo's chop considering this:

http://www.ratingscentral.com/MatchList.php?PlayerID=18661&PlayerName=Joo

He lost from Joo six out of seven times and humiliating that same opponent in that way: I found it quite strange.

Author:  iskandar taib [ 20 Jul 2017, 16:58 ]
Post subject:  Re: DHS D40+ three star balls, good news

Maybe he changed his rubber.. :lol:

Iskandar

Author:  Lorre [ 20 Jul 2017, 19:00 ]
Post subject:  Re: DHS D40+ three star balls, good news

iskandar taib wrote:
Maybe he changed his rubber.. :lol:

Iskandar


Yes, he probably went to China SUPER rubber with a extraordinary long arc and never achieved rotation. CONTROL+SPIN.

Author:  Baal [ 21 Jul 2017, 00:43 ]
Post subject:  Re: DHS D40+ three star balls, good news

Lorre wrote:
kaesees wrote:
You'll find a mixed bag of evidence looking at Joo's T2APAC games. Chuang Chih-Yuan struggled against him (but he always does - I don't think he's ever beaten Joo). Chen Chien-An on the other hand was absolutely teeing off on Joo's FH chops. Shang Kun and Shibaev were somewhere in the middle.

In the Harimoto game, Joo played more offensive than he has in years IMO and also mixed in some of those (incredibly satisfying) BH down-the-line putaways. You'd think Harimoto would never give those opportunities since Muramatsu loves them, but then again he is only 14.


Yes, I find that too. But I found it quite alarming the way Chen just laughed at Joo's chop considering this:

http://www.ratingscentral.com/MatchList.php?PlayerID=18661&PlayerName=Joo

He lost from Joo six out of seven times and humiliating that same opponent in that way: I found it quite strange.


Yes, but the last time they played was three years ago. How much has Joo been training lately? He has played only one World Tour event in the last year. He did play in the Chinese super league. Lots of possible reasons why he may not do the same against a guy he plays now vs in 2011 or 2014; Joo is 37 this year and has a recurring auto-immune disease that will periodically affect his performance.

Regarding the balls, I am not a defender so I have no comment on how defenders would react, but in general some people who are new to the ABS seamed balls come to like them a bit after they have played with them more.

Author:  NextLevel [ 21 Jul 2017, 02:03 ]
Post subject:  Re: DHS D40+ three star balls, good news

Would also like to add that the seamless balls sit up on all shots, not just on those that supposedly have heavy backspin. It's one of the reasons why some people consider them to bounce too high with little spin.

Author:  LOOPOVER [ 24 Jul 2017, 06:38 ]
Post subject:  Re: DHS D40+ three star balls, good news

Comparing D40+ to DHS Celluloid, more control with the D40+ using my long pips.

Page 8 of 10 All times are UTC + 9:30 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/