OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 11:47 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I'll just have to buy a box and try it, and compare. ;)
I've never seen one with such a rough surface... hopefully it does not wear out the rubber more quickly.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 20:52 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
I'm going to skip ahead and buy the orange ones! Ha! Looking forward to trying it. Not sure if I would get both white as well, but the orange for sure.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 21:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

rokphish2 wrote:
I'm going to skip ahead and buy the orange ones! Ha! Looking forward to trying it. Not sure if I would get both white as well, but the orange for sure.

Not sure if orange is available yet, it's certainly not yet ITTF approved.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 21:17 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

I've seen the photo out already from someone claiming to already have bought them.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 11:37 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
haggisv wrote:
I checked out the V40+ balls yesterday, I didn't get a chance to play with them, but what stood out was how rough the surface was... it's much rougher than the DHS D40+.
The 'sales pitch' from the person selling them was that this makes them more spinny, but I'm not convinced this is necessarily true. Unless a smooth ball actually slips on a rubber, both would start off with the same spin. The rough surface would make them behave a little different in the air though, and also when it contacts the table. Intuitively I'd expect a rough ball to lose spin the in the air more quickly, but also kick harder off the table.

Has anyone played with them yet to compare?

The rougher surface I imagine would act like dimpling on golf balls. Meaning that there is less drag on the ball in flight and that changes the flight arc and also speed of the ball (longer flight and more rapid dip at the end). Maybe the dip at the 'end' of the flight path makes it look and possibly feel more spinny? I'm not sure. Without slow motion capture and review its all subjective to the reviewer... or sales rep :lol:

I would suspect that the rougher ABS balls would feel a slight faster then other smoother poly balls, which might contribute some players reports of them feeling like the older Celluloid balls. I think that the most important thing is are the new ABS balls more consistent?

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 17:19 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Very interesting apophis :up:

I got a box of the V40+ today, and will look for this when I compare them.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017, 11:17 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
Yeah I wonder if the ABS balls, with rougher surface, dip late like in that graphic then the 'kick' from the spin is more pronounced like in the older celluloid balls? Where the smoother plastics have a flatter more even parabolic flight path so the kick off the table from the spin is less apparent although still there... Hard to say. All i want is a consistent plastic ball that lasts longer then the current batch.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017, 14:41 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I had a brief hit with both the D40+ and V40+ to compare, both from brand new pack/10. The V40+ definitely seemed to curve less in the air, in fact it felt like it wasn't that spinny, similar to the seamless balls. The D40+ played very nicely...I've tried this ball before, and did not like it much, but this time I though it was a lot better...strange!
The most noticable thing was that the D40+ felt a lot heavier than the V40+. This is probably not due to the actualy weight, but probably due the hardness.

A new V40+ ball also put A LOT of dust on my rubber, much more than I've even seen. This must be due to the roughness. I'll certainly wash them next time I use them.

I'll have another go at comparing them tomorrow... see if my perceptions are the same.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017, 20:53 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
haggisv wrote:
I had a brief hit with both the D40+ and V40+ to compare, both from brand new pack/10. The V40+ definitely seemed to curve less in the air, in fact it felt like it wasn't that spinny, similar to the seamless balls. The D40+ played very nicely...I've tried this ball before, and did not like it much, but this time I though it was a lot better...strange!
The most noticable thing was that the D40+ felt a lot heavier than the V40+. This is probably not due to the actualy weight, but probably due the hardness.

A new V40+ ball also put A LOT of dust on my rubber, much more than I've even seen. This must be due to the roughness. I'll certainly wash them next time I use them.

I'll have another go at comparing them tomorrow... see if my perceptions are the same.

The difference in your feeling about the D40+ can't be attributed to the recent discovery about the thick vs. thin seam?

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2017, 06:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

@Haggisv,

729 PS 40+ balls were used for the China National Games recently.
Can you make some review on this ball?
Thanks.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2017, 09:57 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I'm not sure if those balls are available outside China yet, but yes I'll try and get some to compare.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2017, 15:54 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

I heard 729 just had price increase very recently. Not sure how it effects their product prices since I've not bought 729 for awhile now.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018, 09:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

rokphish2 wrote:
I've seen the photo out already from someone claiming to already have bought them.

An old granny's tales. This ball is not on market as yet. What you see is a ball prototype pending for ITTF formal approval.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018, 11:57 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

igorponger wrote:
rokphish2 wrote:

An old granny's tales. This ball is not on market as yet. What you see is a ball prototype pending for ITTF formal approval.
According to your less knowledgeable self...

I bought some merely days after I posted that...

ImageImage

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018, 14:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

rokphish2 wrote:
According to your less knowledgeable self...

I bought some merely days after I posted that...

ImageImage

Dear Rockphish,
Your shopping experience is very interesting, indeed. You has got an illegal product, I guess.

https://d3mjm6zw6cr45s.cloudfront.net/2 ... 018_01.pdf
This is the latest approved balls by ITTF. Orange V40+ not yet listed there.

Ball Manufacturers are stricktly prohibited to market their products "beforehand", prior to ITTF Approval.
DF may incur ITTF penalty sanctions for marketing the non-approved orange balls. Sorry.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!