OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 20:52 
♫ Living On The Edge (Tape) ♫

Blade: Tibhar Stratus Power Def
FH: Rakza Z MAX
BH: Spinlord Dornenglanz OX
I am having a lot of trouble with equipment at the moment, and at Honey's great suggestion, I thought I would make a topic dedicated to suggestions of equipment that I can get, and just STICK with, and can teach me the proper parts of the game that I need to know. All of these suggestions can then be gathered, and people can vote which setup they think would be best for me to go with.

Also, I'm not a total beginner, having played for around a year now, so I know a bit about how to loop etc., and am just wanting to get back on track with development. Would that suggest I'd want something with a tad more speed than your standard beginners setup?

Ultimately, I am aiming for a looping game, but I would still like to incorporate some all-round-ness into there too, with some chopping, blocking, etc.

Let me know if further details are needed.

Thank you!

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 03:42 
Super User

I'd suggest you to take a BTY Primo Off- (or similar) with some moderately fast rubbers with thin sponge, like Sriver (whichever you like), or a chinese rubber (but I'm honestly not so much into allround chinese rubbers to suggest one).

This setup will give you more control to learn strokes and also tactical things.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 07:49 

Mmm you can try with
Blade: Butterfly Petr Korbel
Rubbers: Butterfly Catapult / Cermet 2.1mm

Thats a very nice setup, with both enough spin and speed to develop any non defensive style :P

Galaxy T-11+
FH: Donic Bluefire M3
BH: SpinLord Dornenglanz II (OX)

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 09:00 

Do you think it would be an idea to keep my Cayman as the blade, and get some suggestions with rubbers I should stick with?

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 13:21 

What would you guys think of slapping on 2 sheets of 729 Lightening FX 2.0mm to my Cayman?

I have an old sheet on there at the moment, and I quite like the feel of it. It's not the speediest thing in the world, but I'm still getting my loops across, and with decent spin because of the very soft sponge. From memory, it's not very tacky when new, so it doens't really have many of the characteristics you come to expect from Chinese rubbers (tacky, hard).

I think this could be something I could actually stick with for once. Opinions?

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 17:26 

I've got FX Lightening and Roxon on at the moment, and I must say, they feel SO similar, in their hardness, throw etc. The only difference is that Roxon has noticably more bounce off it, so it is faster.

I found myself being able to do all sorts of things I couldn't do before with the Lightening, most in particular looping decently. I think this might be the one.

Everyone says the Cayman doens't loop well, but I think it's really nice for it. It has got a low throw, admittedly, but I just have to work a bit more to get the loop going, which is probably a good thing in the end, isn't it? The feel of it is BEAUTIFUL. It feels perfect everytime I hit a ball. People also say this is bad because you can't tell where you hit it, but I also think it's better. If I feel like it's coming off nicely, I've got confidence. Full stop. Lastly, if I was to get 2 sheets of Lightening FX on there, my total bat weight would be AROUND 150G!!!! :rofl:

I always love opinions though, so lets have yours! :)

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 22:56 
Super User

You can take the Cayman (which is a very controlled blade imho) with the two Lightening. Moderate speed and high spin should be good for you to develop your game.
If you like the feeling, there are no objections to it.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 23:11 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think the Cayman is beautiful for looping... I used it myself for a long time!

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 00:39 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
There's nothing at all wrong with FX lightening for a developing game and beyond. If you like the Caymen then there's your setup.

Just give it a good long chance though; 6 months minimum without messing around with other setups. You are so early in your TT development that you will do a lot better by sticking to one and learning the trade with it.

185g

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!