OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2007, 18:26 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Hi guys,
1st post, i'm pretty much a newby, so i am playing catch up on equipment and fast becoming an EJ who is hooked and searching for the right equipment for me.

This is a brilliant and informative site and i have loved reading it for a while now.

That said, i have just put a black tg2 on a new blade, 729 carbon and soft wood Attack and Control Elite 1 and love the hitting power and accuracy that i have found with this combo, (haven't sorted the b/h rubber of choice out yet!).

My questions are,

1a-Would you guys think tg2 is tacky, or just grippy, or both as it feels different to other tacky rubbers i have tried?

1b- I am thinking about priming with speedglue using your technique as given in your very good guide, but only to soften the sponge once and once only and then to keep it on the blade.

2-Should i prime this tg2 to soften the sponge?
Love the control and speed but would like even more spin for serves esp.(greedy aint i!) I am very nervous to do so as i have never done this before, and i am unsure if i will spoil what i already have!

3- Similarly, up to now my attack weapon of choice has been GS tacky on a 729 bomb which i loved (but lacked slight control) but had to work very hard to loop/attack low over the net which i have found v.hard due to a longstanding back problem, so i think i will defo prime this - has anybody had any results from doing this?

4- I have also discovered that i play well with soften sponged rubbers too for better control esp. on my b/h as in LKT pro XT, would i benefit from priming this too?

Edited to add

5- I have been using 804 antispin but find this rubber a bit sluggish on slow balls (its great when being attacked at speed0 and can often end up in the net due to my weak b/h, would i be able to benefit from priming this too to soften and give me more control?

Thanks to anyone who can give me any answers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 01:16 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Ok, I'll have a go:

1a Definitely tacky. The extreeme tackiness does wear off a little, but it you keep it clean and keep a plastic film on when not using it, it should remain tacky.

1b Yes that would work.. perhaps try it with a few layers first

2. Priming will NOT really give you more spin on serves, the tacky surface pretty much determines that. For a non tacky rubber a soft sponge will give you more spin.

3. Have not tried it

4. Thsi sponge on this is very soft...the priming is mostly effective for harder sponges rubbers as it softens them up and makes them lively. The effect on the LKT won't be as significant I reckon.

5. Antispin rubbers are really designed to be sluggish and take the pace off the ball. This gives yo good contrast between fh and bh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 10:37 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

haggisv wrote:
2. Priming will NOT really give you more spin on serves, the tacky surface pretty much determines that. For a non tacky rubber a soft sponge will give you more spin.

Wouldn't the rubber be in the Chn/Jap/Euro middle? Tacky topsheet, medium/soft sponge?

Gimme a extra primed Globe 999N for my hard blade! :twisted: