OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:51

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Top Players Equipment???
PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 10:54 

I am new to the forum and want to improve my game. I play 3 times per week and have the latest two headed robot that does everything and I am really keen to get some honest advice when I start to enter into some competitions. I am confused as I see some companies pushing various Rubbers like Xiom Vega.
The Korean players in Australia say it's garbage, but the best player in Australia raves about it.
Yet that player Uses Butterfly Tenergy 05 in all the major competitions, so does one really have to believe the sponsored players and what they say, when they actually use someone else's rubber.
I have tried the Joola Extra but it seems too soft and only lasted a couple of days and the Japanese rubbers seem to be more effective and last longer. Also had some good success with my looping with the Tibhar Niamour rubber but is the best rubber Butterfly Tenergy 05, as it seems that nearly every good player I talk to says they are using it. I play a topspin game but want to have good control when I loop strongly and with speed. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Robbie5856

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 11:06 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

Hey robbie, Welcome to the forum mate.
Sounds like your from sydney:) you play at greenacre?

You shouldnt listen to everyone or use what everyones using. Tenergy costs an arm and a leg and theres no way i would recommend that to someone starting out.

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 11:07 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Tenergy 05 is a good rubber however isn't the most user friendly rubber out there. It can be a tad difficult to control if you're not firing and it's not that easy to 'back off' with, compared to the majority of the tensors.

Vega isn't a bad rubber either. Good spin and speed, easier to use than the Tenergy.

If you used Joola Xtra before, you probably used one of the soft versions (as denoted by 'Xtra'). Was it Energy Xtra? You probably should try one of the harder tensors - express 1, hexer, vega pro, coppa jo platinum, Roxon 500, etc. These are similar to Niamor.

Not every good player in Australia uses Tenergy - though it's certainly very popular

Try and borrow someone's bat and have a go at Tenergy05 before you buy it. Not everyone likes it; some people don't get along with it at all...

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 11:30 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Welcome to the forum robbie5856!

Some excellent advice given above already.

You have not mentioned the level you play at...do you already play competition? A rubber thta might be right at one level, may be totally inappropriate at another...

A robot should be of great help to improve your strokes, just make sure you get some coaching to ensure your strokes are correct, or your training will just be reinforcing your bad habits.

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 11:37 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I've noticed that there is a large number of people who switch to T05 and then switch off 2 weeks later simply because after the initial 'wow', they realise they can't control it...

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 13:57 

Silver wrote:
Tenergy 05 is a good rubber however isn't the most user friendly rubber out there. It can be a tad difficult to control if you're not firing and it's not that easy to 'back off' with, compared to the majority of the tensors.

Vega isn't a bad rubber either. Good spin and speed, easier to use than the Tenergy.

If you used Joola Xtra before, you probably used one of the soft versions (as denoted by 'Xtra'). Was it Energy Xtra? You probably should try one of the harder tensors - express 1, hexer, vega pro, coppa jo platinum, Roxon 500, etc. These are similar to Niamor.

Not every good player in Australia uses Tenergy - though it's certainly very popular

Try and borrow someone's bat and have a go at Tenergy05 before you buy it. Not everyone likes it; some people don't get along with it at all...

How come the Australian Champion has won the last two National Championships using Butterfly as well as all the other Australian Team members except Robbie Frank.
Tried to get some Tenergy from Aussie TT and they don't even sell it saying its too expensive , then how is it that their sponsored players all seem to be using Tenergy rubbers , I don't believe what all these people are saying as to me its all BS.
I saw Hensell in Melbourne two weeks ago and he was still using the Butterfly rubber, is it the best if all the top players are using it????

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 14:00 

metal monkey wrote:

You shouldnt listen to everyone or use what everyones using. Tenergy costs an arm and a leg and theres no way i would recommend that to someone starting out.

Wheres Greenacre??

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 14:04 

haggisv wrote:
Welcome to the forum robbie5856!

Some excellent advice given above already.

You have not mentioned the level you play at...do you already play competition? A rubber thta might be right at one level, may be totally inappropriate at another...

A robot should be of great help to improve your strokes, just make sure you get some coaching to ensure your strokes are correct, or your training will just be reinforcing your bad habits.

Thanks for your advice , it is certainly deceiving when its obviuos that the players on your forum are obviously connected with equipment companies as when I ask some coaches they all advise the rubbers that only they want to sell so I was trying to actually get some unbiased opinions and you seem to be that which I appreciate.
I would be on the edge of A grade in Melbourne and I travel a lot.

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 14:05 

Silver wrote:

If I have a all round bat would it be okay do you think as I like to feel the ball and have control.

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 14:08 

Silver wrote:
I've noticed that there is a large number of people who switch to T05 and then switch off 2 weeks later simply because after the initial 'wow', they realise they can't control it...

What do you think if I put Spinmax on it to slow it down a bit??

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 15:54 

robbie5856 wrote:
metal monkey wrote:

Wheres Greenacre??

Robbie, what part of Sydney do you know, or are familiar with, are you close to the city???

Ozzie Rooster............

4: Donic Ovtcharov F/H Black Xiom Omega V B/H Red Tibhar D-Tecs OX 160g
5: Dr. N. Titan F/H Black Xiom Omega V B/H Red Tibhar D-Tecs OX 153g
6: TSP 8.5 Balsa F/H Black Xiom Omega V B/H Red Tibhar D-Tecs OX 146g
7: Darker Spd 90 1Ply F/H Black Donic Bluefire M2 B/H Red Tibhar D-Tecs OX 146g
8: Juic Hinoki 9mm 1Ply F/H Black Donic Bluefire M2 B/H Red Tibhar D-Tecs OX 151g

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 15:55 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
robbie5856 wrote:
Thanks for your advice , it is certainly deceiving when its obviuos that the players on your forum are obviously connected with equipment companies as when I ask some coaches they all advise the rubbers that only they want to sell so I was trying to actually get some unbiased opinions and you seem to be that which I appreciate.

I think most people's advice on this forum is quite unbiassed and that is exactly what we support here. If someone was trying to push a particular product, we would be onto this very quickly. Of course people do tend to recommend the equipment and brands that they know, but this does not mean they're biassed.

robbie5856 wrote:

Then you're probably capable of handling this rubber, especially with a bit of practice. The rubber is great for high spin loops but it's no speed demon, although with a reasonably fast blade you'll get plenty of speed. If you're more of a hitting/blocker I don't think it suits you, as it's quite sensitive to incoming spin, which makes both hits and blocks harder to control.
The rubber IS expensive but it's also more durable than many (not all) of the latest glue-effect rubbers, which is something to take into account.

Spinmax will not help you... it's will not really change the speed, and will probably make it even more sensitive to spin....

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 17:36 
I am Legend
I am Legend

robbie5856 wrote:

How come the Australian Champion has won the last two National Championships using Butterfly as well as all the other Australian Team members except Robbie Frank.
Tried to get some Tenergy from Aussie TT and they don't even sell it saying its too expensive , then how is it that their sponsored players all seem to be using Tenergy rubbers , I don't believe what all these people are saying as to me its all BS.
I saw Hensell in Melbourne two weeks ago and he was still using the Butterfly rubber, is it the best if all the top players are using it????

Ok, here's a serious question:
What was he using before he used Butterfly?
I can tell you know that he'd have won regardless of what he used (provided he had time to adjust). These other australian team members; has their position actually moved before and after they switched to Tenergy?

Tenergy isn't a magic bullet. It's not going to make you play like Henzell.

Secondly, if we want to know what 'all the top players are using', why on earth are you constraining yourself to Australia? What rubbers are the top 10 currently using? Top 20?

robbie5856 wrote:

I do hope you're not aiming that at me, considering I am a T05 user myself...

Your allround blade should be fine. However, and big however, for some reason Tenergy just doesn't go well on some blades...

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 18:32 

Silver wrote:
robbie5856 wrote:

Ok, here's a serious question:
What was he using before he used Butterfly?
I can tell you know that he'd have won regardless of what he used (provided he had time to adjust). These other australian team members; has their position actually moved before and after they switched to Tenergy?

Tenergy isn't a magic bullet. It's not going to make you play like Henzell.

Secondly, if we want to know what 'all the top players are using', why on earth are you constraining yourself to Australia? What rubbers are the top 10 currently using? Top 20?

robbie5856 wrote:

I do hope you're not aiming that at me, considering I am a T05 user myself...

Your allround blade should be fine. However, and big however, for some reason Tenergy just doesn't go well on some blades...

No just that when you read some opinions and find out they work for companies and then say I am excited about this rubber then its rather confusing who to believe.
I heard that the Tenergy someone bought from Dandoy was crapp compared to some bought locally in Sydney, different feeling, anyone heard the same??

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 18:55 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

Bty rubbers are very good quality, so i doubt they differ between batches.
It could be the glue he used that made it feel different to others.