OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:10

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Donic baracuda
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2011, 00:36 

Hi all,
I heard that donic baracuda is a rubber with vicious spin and it is durable with a high throw for quite a reasonable price.But how is the speed.I think that the speed of the rubber depends on the ply to quite a considerable level.I have joola carbon so how will this rubber be on this ply.I am an offensive mid distance looper and also play close to the table.I am in search of a rubber with a lot of spin as well as speed so i thought that DONIC BARACUDA would be a good choice. :)
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Donic baracuda
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2011, 07:35 

Baracuda has a lot of spin, and speed, but if I had to give a ratio spin/speed, it would be a fraction above 1, I dont know how much speed you are looking for, but if the blade is fast enough, then baracuda is an excellent option :D

Galaxy T-11+
FH: Donic Bluefire M3
BH: SpinLord Dornenglanz II (OX)

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2011, 11:38 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

I recently bought a Joola MC1 blade from a very good friend. It comes with a piece of Black Barracuda Max on the forehand. I am quite an advanced player by now. And I can tell you, when I first hit with it, the ball was sort of all over the place. I could not handle it :oops: Anyway, I persevered and must say the following:

a. It is certainly very spinny. I also come from a Tenergy 05 background and have been most impressed with its spin. I must say the Barracuda spin is certainly no less than Tenergy 05.

b. I still have a bit of trouble with the speed. But then when I stick a piece of T05 on the MC1, I find I can handle it better. So I stick the Barracuda back on because T05 speed is just as fast on MC1. Then I realise my problem with the Barracuda. I find that it is a bit bouncier than the T05. By that I mean, when I hit the ball, it seems to leave the bat faster than T05. Less dwell time and therefore, I have less control. I am now thinking maybe the 2.0 thickness might be better as it should be less bouncier.

c. Seems very durable too. This rubber has been on the blade for a while already when I bought it. And it is still playing as well and as spinny after almost a month of experimenting with it. I currently have it on a slower blade which makes it work very well. I only wipe it with a moist sponge each time it gets dusty and the spin would be very vicious again.

All in all, judging against the T05 which I am very familiar with, I believe this Barracuda can easily replace it. I am pretty happy with both its speed and spin. Just need to be able to deal with its bounciness. That is my perception of the Barracuda against the T05 on the Joola MC1. Hope it helps.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2011, 13:23 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Choi I also have a friend with an MC1. In fact its Najay, who is on this forum (although he has been MIA here for a while now, not unlike yourself :P :lol: ). He has Gewo Stratos and R450 on it. Its a blade I can go straight from Gergely to. Similar speed and not totally dissimilar feel, despite the MC1 having no carbon. I have heard mixed opinions on the Baracuda, but haven't heard that its as spinny as T05 before. Its not surprising that its bouncy as I think its a 3rd generation tensor, similar to Roxon, which is also bouncy. I've found a lot more people use the Donic Acuda rubbers than the Baracuda. I think Acuda is possibly the next generation development of Baracuda, but not sure. That would kind of make it like Hexer is to Roxon.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2011, 17:27 

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Choi I also have a friend with an MC1. In fact its Najay, who is on this forum (although he has been MIA here for a while now, not unlike yourself :P :lol: ). He has Gewo Stratos and R450 on it. Its a blade I can go straight from Gergely to. Similar speed and not totally dissimilar feel, despite the MC1 having no carbon. I have heard mixed opinions on the Baracuda, but haven't heard that its as spinny as T05 before. Its not surprising that its bouncy as I think its a 3rd generation tensor, similar to Roxon, which is also bouncy. I've found a lot more people use the Donic Acuda rubbers than the Baracuda. I think Acuda is possibly the next generation development of Baracuda, but not sure. That would kind of make it like Hexer is to Roxon.

Many people in my club use roxon and hexer so i am looking for a rubber better than roxon and hexer.I am looking for a rubber with more spin and speed than these rubbbers.So Andro hexer hd would be a good option but does it have a high throw or medium throw angle.I want a rubber which can lift backspin too without putting too much effort unlike mark 5 which i am currently using.
Thanks

Last edited by george paul on 23 Oct 2011, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2011, 17:52 
Two Winged Warrior

Baracuda is the same generation as Hexer, Xiom vega etcetra. Acuda is the newest generation of rubbers.
The sponge of Baracuda is to soft, that's why it's so bouncy. if the sponge was a bit harder it would be a very good T05 replacement.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2011, 18:36 

cstt wrote:
Baracuda is the same generation as Hexer, Xiom vega etcetra. Acuda is the newest generation of rubbers.
The sponge of Baracuda is to soft, that's why it's so bouncy. if the sponge was a bit harder it would be a very good T05 replacement.

So you say that andro hexer hd is a replacement of tenergy. :?:

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2011, 18:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
george paul wrote:
cstt wrote:

I don't think it is, although others may disagree...

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2011, 23:28 
Two Winged Warrior

george paul wrote:
cstt wrote:

No, nor do I say bananas are straight... ;) The only I said Baracuda got it's bounciness from the soft sponge, and with a harder sponge it would be closer to T05. I'm not saying anything about Hexer Hd.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2011, 13:52 

DKPOWA wrote:
Baracuda has a lot of spin, and speed, but if I had to give a ratio spin/speed, it would be a fraction above 1, I dont know how much speed you are looking for, but if the blade is fast enough, then baracuda is an excellent option :D

Baracuda is an excellent option means is it like Tenergy or a replacement for tenergy.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2011, 15:02 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
George,

From my experience, my loop became more accurate when using baracuda vs tenergy ( 05 and 64 ). My opponent even describe the ball many times that the ball seems to be out of bound already but at the last second still lands on the table. I find baracuda more controllabe and has better spin. Tenergy are a lot faster though. By the way, I'm using KLH Arylate Carbon.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2011, 16:49 
Super User

i tried a sheet of black Barracuda.

this rubber is a little tacky unlike Tenergy which is not.

it lifts the ball fantastic with awesome spin and good speed,maybe a little slower than Tenergy.

like Tenergy has very high arc to it.

two problems i had with this rubber,a little on heavy side and if opponent got in first with spinnny b/h loop to my b/h,i found it very difficult to hit counter b/h loop back--the ball would always fly long--possibly due to very high arc ball flight--so i was forced into hitting slow block.

for me, a better rubber than Tenergy.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!