OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 04:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2008, 10:27 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I wouldn't move to a def blade unless you were actually planning to go defensive. Some defensive blades are actually reasonably fast, but the common factor with all of them are the oversized head.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2008, 22:42 

Hi, I've played table tennis for a while with my family and friends but have only recently began playing in a social competition. I would say that I play a fairly offensive style of play, doubled winged loop, i think.. But ive never put together a bat before, I have just used the stiga bats (like $20).

I have been looking around and am thinking about getting bomb 729 blade, with 729 higher III rubbers on both sides. will this be a good set up, and is it all I need? how do the rubbers attach to the blades, do they have self adhesive? I know this is very noobish but i don't know haha. Thanks for any help
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2008, 22:50 
I am Legend
I am Legend

yep, the bomb + higher rubbers should be fine. Alternatively, you can look at the Galaxy 961 or LKT Instinct. Pretty much anything rated ALL +/- is fine.

Use this stuff to attach
http://oneofakindtrading.com.au/Shop/pr ... ucts_id=56

Do you go to a club to play, or just a garage player?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2008, 22:52 

yeah both. but the club is not very serious. there are some really good players, but it is pretty laid back... its at an rsl

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2008, 23:19 
I am Legend
I am Legend

cool. There should be someone at the club who can show you how to stick the bat together if you need help.

If you're more offensive minded, go for the bomb.

If you prefer to let the other person make the mistake, go for the Instinct or 961.

You should be fine with either anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2008, 23:27 
I am Legend
I am Legend

haggisv has a guide here
http://oneofakindtrading.com.au/gluing.htm

that tell you how to put it together.

If you don't want to read it:

You will require:
pen
cutting board or mat
Knife (stanley, boxcutter, craft knife, something sharp, preferably not a scalpel as they can't take as much pressure) or scissors
Rubber Glue
TT Blade :P
TT Rubbers.

put the rubber sponge up on a hard surface

Put the blade down on it, making sure the rubber logo is at the handle

Draw an outline of the blade on the sponge.

Cut out the rubber. Scissors will look a bit messier, until you get the hang of it (do small cuts) if you care. A knife is neater, but takes a bit longer.

If you use a knife, just use one pass to get through the sponge, then go back and do another pass to get through the rubber.

put some glue on the sponge side. I tend to do a swirl starting from the centre, making sure the swirl goes to the edges. Spread it around as evenly as possible. With a paddlepop stick or your finger. Whatever.

put a bit of glue (less than on the rubber) on the blade too. I do a swirl here too.

When they dry, use something tubular (like a rolling pin :P) to put the rubber down onto the blade.

Repeat for the other side.

You may want to trace both rubbers before gluing one on.

If you want, you can put glue on the rubber first, stick it to the bat then use a knife to cut it out around the blade directly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2008, 07:30 

hey mate, Thanks heaps for all the info. Ill give it ago, can't wait now.. Thanks :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 May 2008, 22:22 

got it, put it all together, and i am loving it. thanks heaps for your help silver!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 May 2008, 09:17 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

Ranger-man
Quote:
1. Don't use max rubbers, stick to a max thickness of 2.1mm, better to stay under 2mm.
2. Don't use extremely tacky rubbers either since that will make the incoming spin very difficult to control
3. Don't use carbon blades, try to stick to the wood blades to start off with
4. If you go by ratings, stick will ALL or ALL- blades, unless you are very defensive then you can go with a DEF blade.
5. Try to use a slower rubber on the backhand, at least for starters.

I would like to add:
6. Use NORMAL glue.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2008, 21:51 
Liquid Evil Chopper

Hi all I find this thread very informative. I started playing TT while in primary school (using the same pimpled bat my mum gave me...for several years lol!). Played TT recreationally throughout HS (using cheap bat with inverted rubbers) and then I stopped. 16 years later I'm about to restart. But no bat...so here I am.

I'd dare say that I was intermediate level when I stopped. Was using J-pen (with my mate's bat) and C-pen equally. Even tried shakehands for fun.

Sorry I digress...

Anyway, I'm about to pull my fiancee to play TT with me. She's a beginner and she's a penholder. Now, the Bomb has been highly recommended many times on this forum. A custom made set is available here and it comes with 729 lightning rubbers on both sides. I've got 2 questions:

(1) The often seen recommended combo is the Bomb + Sriver fx 1.9. Now, is the 729 fx lightning ok too?

(2) The description of the bat says "The BOMB is a blade formulated for modern and European style of Play". Does that mean that it's not suitable for c-pen?

I figured that this custom set might be the perfect option for both of us since it can be used at both beginner and intermediate level. What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2008, 22:33 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think a Lightening in 2.0mm will work very well. It will be a little slower than than sriver 1.9mm, but has more grip so it will be easier to generate spin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2008, 22:47 
Liquid Evil Chopper

haggisv wrote:
I think a Lightening in 2.0mm will work very well. It will be a little slower than than sriver 1.9mm, but has more grip so it will be easier to generate spin.

Thanks for the reply! Now the setup will work for c-pen/RPB too right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2008, 22:59 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I'm no expert on RPB as I'm not a cpen player, but the rubbers are pretty alround, so you can't go too far wrong with this stuff... Feel free to get ask a few more opinions, as my answer may seem a little biassed :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2008, 23:08 
I am Legend
I am Legend

it should be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2008, 16:46 

Hey all, I'm not really a beginner in TT, both wing looper currently on Primorac OFF- and bryce on both side unglued. I haven't tried many rubbers/blades, all i've tried (aside from cheap recreational ones) are a premade sword blade with sword rubber, H3 provincial on a double fish carbon blade (don't know model, but i believe it's DF2008, if any1's heard of that), and my current setup Primorac OFF- with bryce. all unglued.

I find that the H3 was really slow once i played ppl at my club who can easily just kill my loops (might be because i dont' glue, heard H3 unglued isn't the greatest). so after a while i changed my main setup to bryce/primorac off-. I like it, although it does take great control to pull some low loops from close to level/under the table, the shots could be pretty devastating. mid distance looping i can feel the rebound from the sponge catapulting the ball, although backhand it's a little hard to do loop mid speed low shots, i'm working on it and i find it easier with some wrist action in it.

i would like to hear your comment on my current setup, Primorac off- with bryce on both sides unglued. also any other comments on my other setups would be great, i've played the H3P with DF2008 blade, and also i have 2 other setups "unopened" yet,
Blutenkirsche blade w/ Friendship 729-3 rubber
Palio T15 w/ Palio CJ8000 rubber

any comments greatly appreciated, which rubber on which blade to better suite my game etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31  Next