OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 08:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2015, 04:52 
Super User

Barfly wrote:
Thank you for your guide, as mentioned above I will probably go the safe route with Appelgren and most likely Cream Transcend 2.0 but can you recommend some faster rubbers that you think would go well with that blade in couple of months when I get some more experience?

This rubber caught my eye recently:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-LKT-Rapid-SP ... 2ed09edcee
2 sheets for 18 bucks is cheap and I have a feeling it might go nicely with Appelgren. I used Appelgen with Rakza 7 and Rakza 7 soft and it was wonderful combo. Fast but not too fast because of slow blade. However, Rakza is not cheap rubber.
You can go with Cream Transcend. With Appelgen it will be all round configuration. If you lean towards attack you can bite the bullet and go with LKT :-)

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2015, 13:11 

Just felt like popping in and posting that Donic Akkadi Taichi Red 2.0mm is all over aliexpress for $10. Normally a $30 rubber, but for whatever reason there are a bunch of red 2.0mm sheets floating around without the full packaging. I've purchased multiple sheets and it's really a great all around rubber; I doubt there are any better euro style rubbers at that price point.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2015, 13:17 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Lhet wrote:
Just felt like popping in and posting that Donic Akkadi Taichi Red 2.0mm is all over aliexpress for $10. Normally a $30 rubber, but for whatever reason there are a bunch of red 2.0mm sheets floating around without the full packaging. I've purchased multiple sheets and it's really a great all around rubber; I doubt there are any better euro style rubbers at that price point.

That's made in China though, isn't it?
Donic does not sell that rubber anymore, so hopefully it will continue to be ITTF approved. Of course if you don't play competition, it does not matter.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2015, 15:04 

haggisv wrote:
That's made in China though, isn't it?
Donic does not sell that rubber anymore, so hopefully it will continue to be ITTF approved. Of course if you don't play competition, it does not matter.

It is indeed made in China, thus the reason for it's availability at a lower price.
Still doesn't change that it's a pretty great all-round euro-style rubber that is very hard to beat at that price.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2015, 03:58 

Recently I've discovered some of the aliexpress custom setups, and have been recommending them a lot. It's really really hard to beat something like this for $30.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2015, 23:44 

I'm a beginner/intermediate player with a taste for decent equipment... I'm coming from a DHS 5002 premade paddle that I really liked until I tried a friend's Killerspin Jet800. I felt like using the Jet800 really improved my aggressive game.

I read on these forums that you get a lot more value for your money buying a custom paddle vs a premade one -- just wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of setup I would need to get a rough equivalent of the Jet800? and how much could I save? The $100 price tag seems a little high for me; if I could find a good option for closer to $50 I would be tickled.

Thanks.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2015, 23:51 

quaxer wrote:
I'm a beginner/intermediate player with a taste for decent equipment... I'm coming from a DHS 5002 premade paddle that I really liked until I tried a friend's Killerspin Jet800. I felt like using the Jet800 really improved my aggressive game.

I read on these forums that you get a lot more value for your money buying a custom paddle vs a premade one -- just wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of setup I would need to get a rough equivalent of the Jet800? and how much could I save? The $100 price tag seems a little high for me; if I could find a good option for closer to $50 I would be tickled.

The bolded parts appear to be in conflict with each other.

The blades alone often cost $60 to $200. Then you have to buy rubbers to go on them.

I spent about $120 on my first blade (the Tibhar in my signature) from PaddlePalace.

Good luck. Please note that a good blade can last about as long as you want it to. Rubbers… not so much.

Tibhar TEXO All | 1.8 999 Juic Elite x 2
Ross Leidy ALL Blades (x2) | 1.8BH/2.0FH Juic 999 Elite
Butterfly Amicus Pro

Erie TTCErie TTC Facebook
TSTGE5SKLSW

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2015, 00:13 

Ok, looks like perhaps we may have to clarify the definition of decent :) I mean decent in the sense that the two paddles I named (the DHS and the Killerspin) are decent. They're not top of the line paddles, but neither are they the cheapest around.

So, back to the original question, what components should I look for to get something similar to the Jet800?

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2015, 02:34 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
It's a bit hard to dispense advice without knowing your level of play - personally I would not spend more than 30$ on a pre-made paddle.

"Pre-made buster" from colestt.com is more than decent for most of recreational players and is good enough for intermediate club level players (Der_Echte is 1900+ USATT and still uses 2008 XP rubbers, I think). If your heart is set on Carbon blade (which Jet800 seems to be) - both colestt.com and zeropong.com have composite blades starting around 30$, so with a couple of inexpensive rubbers you are still around 60$. At least you'll be able to change rubber when you need to, no such luxury with pre-mades.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2015, 11:06 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
You should be able to get a very decent at up for less than $100. Have a look at the recent All around blades thread and pick something from there. Add a couple of sheets of Lkt xp pro 2.0mm and it will be fine for any level of play.

Colestt combo good option too. If you could tell us your location and where you would buy from it might help.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2015, 03:22 

Thanks for the input -- especially the reference to colestt.com. I will consult a little with him!

Thanks again.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2016, 20:45 

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and need some help deciding what kind of bat to get. English is not my native language so I apologize in advance.

I’m a beginner, I played a bit when I was a kid (now I’m 32), then I stopped and few months ago I decided that I wanna play again.
In general I think of myself as na all round player and I would like to play like this in the near future. Speed is not important to me at the moment, I would rather have more control so I can keep the ball on the table for as long as possible. Also I want to improve my technique.

I read a lot positive feedback about Palio Expert 2 bat on Amazon and I bought it (was quite affordable). Supposedly its Speed = 6/10, Spin = 9/10, Control = 10/10 but I find it too fast, I have problems keeping ball on the table. It can be beacuase my technique is poor and I make mistakes but before that I played with some really cheap, preassembleed, slow bat of Donic Shildkrot that I bought for 12$ and my strokes were more accurate and I had better control over the ball.

I decided to spend some more money and buy a custom rocket. I was thinking about Andro Temper Tech All+, ppl say good things about this bat and I can buy it quite cheap in my country (about 40$). Of course if you can recommend something better, I’m open for suggestions.

Can’t really decide what rubbers to get for that blade. Ppl say different things on different forums, for example „dont buy tensor, get some 1,5mm or 1,8mm rubber” and so on. Xiom Vega Pro and Europe have nice opinions among ppl but they are tensor so…I’m not sure if thats good idea. And I dont know if I should get 1.5mm or 1.8mm or can I go for max?

I was thinking also about Donic Baracuda, Donic Bluefire JP3 and some ppl recommend old rubbers like Sriver or Mark V.

Anyway if you could recommend some good all round rubber for a begginer like me and that would synergize with Andro Temper Tech All+, I would be really happy. I love table tennis :)

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2016, 21:26 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The problem here, I think, is that you're coming from one of those premade bats that you buy in a department store. They are ALL very slow, ANY custom bat you buy will seem a LOT faster and seemingly uncontrollable. It doesn't matter whether you pay $20 (believe or not, you can get excellent equipment for less that $20!) or $200, you'll need to play with it and get used to it.

As it happens, I posted something here last night about a $13 premade bat (shipping included!) that plays very well, and is very controllable:

viewtopic.php?f=44&p=314879&sid=3423895ddbea62947bafdfde39bb93e6#p314879

But you'll probably find it too fast also, at first. Not to worry, you'll get used to it in a week or so if you play enough.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2016, 21:43 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
My mate has Andro Temper Tech All+. Feels great in your hand, Andro handles are very comfortable. He pairs with Andro Hexer which is tensor but not a crazy fast one. If speed is not important, go with the Mark V or even Lkt xp pro for a cheaper option. Videos of his set up are in my blog 'Cobalts Transition to loop'. Should be the last few videos Cobalt vs Rob.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2016, 01:07 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Don't know if it's any better, but you can get one of these blades for about USD13.. (or $11 in the next 4 days, including shipping).

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shi ... 03493.html

:lol:

Oh yeah.. check out these threads... All posted in the last week or so. (This question comes up again and again and again and again, but this last week or so's been unusually, uh, what's the word.. prolific?) :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29657#p314399
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29622#p313836

Iskandar

Last edited by iskandar taib on 20 Apr 2016, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 31  Next