OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2013, 23:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
When you were looking for suitable rubbers for your bat, what is the most important factor in your choice?

Would you look for the best rubber only within your price range?
Would you pick the rubber that gives you best performance no matter what the price?
Do you weigh up the cost & durability to see if the rubber is good value?

Personally I used to always look for good value first, looking within the cheaper price range for a gem that would give me both a cheap price and good performance. These days I put performance first and would be willing to pay more if it gives me better performance.

How do you choose?

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2013, 23:42 
The Unprogrammable Player

I try to get the best performance for my style, but I also have one rule that must be met: I want my expensive rubber to last at least a month. Other than that a price is not an issue, unless it would become totally unreasonable like 100 :cash: for a sheet.

3) Ross Leidy "White Shadow" / P1R (1,3) / Hexer PS (1,7)

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2013, 23:42 
Super User

85% performance 15% price. Looking for performance, that being said price doesnt always mean better performance. Last couple of weeks I have been doing a fair amount of experimenting and have had my first go with Chinese rubbers, the control is on another level.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2013, 00:41 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Justas wrote:
I try to get the best performance for my style, but I also have one rule that must be met: I want my expensive rubber to last at least a month. Other than that a price is not an issue, unless it would become totally unreasonable like 100 :cash: for a sheet.

Very similar to Justas except I prefer mine to last at least 6 months! Fortunately I've never had to change my short pips due to a due to a dip in performance and I do tolerate a performance dip in my inverted rubber up to the point I feel spin has dropped too much compared to when it was about 3 or 4 weeks old.

In the past I've tried cheaper rubbers and when I add up the cost of doing that - constantly changing - compared to how happy I am now with my more expensive forehand rubber and it proves to be a false economy searching for cheaper alternatives. However, if I was lucky enough to find one, I'd switch - "best peformance for style" is a good way of describing it.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2013, 01:29 
Super User

When you work for peanuts, price is an issue.
In the middle of Europe I work for 400 $ a month so TT budget is pretty tight.
I use cheap stuff and try to find the best value for my money. That means Galaxy or Yasaka blades and Friendship rubbers. There is no problem because I really don't need anything better for now.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2013, 01:35 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I'm playing with $30 worth of rubbers, soon to be $20 worth. Still I play with good enough cheap rubber that it doesn't compromise my level much, yes its much easier to play with a soft tensor but I've go some kind of fetish for knowing I can rate a little higher at anytime by using an "easier" rubber. Knowing the extra is there comforting enough that I don't need to use it.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2013, 06:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

If I could find "my magic bullet" I would mortgage the family cow in a New York minute.
tOD

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2013, 08:40 
Super Looper
Super Looper

Performance off rubber first and durability second for me.As far price range always try to find $50 or less per sheet if possible.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2013, 08:42 
Hard Justice

100% price and durability; if someone like Reisman could be successful with the exact same paddle and rubbers he used as a youth into his old age, then it casts some level of doubt on the kind of importance people place on getting better, different, or pricier stuff.

I think TT is 90% skill and perhaps 10% equipment. It's possible to get used to and be successful with pretty much any setup over time if you stick with it, and I certainly wouldn't be purchasing new rubbers every month over it.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2013, 09:42 
Super User

I am a bit conservative (more with change than cost). That said I do experiment with a second set-up. I tend not to meddle with my main set-up. I find Chinese rubbers work well in performance for me. I have two blades Stiga All-round (main) and LKT Instinct (Experiment). If cared for and looked after, the Chinese rubbers can last a long while too.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2013, 09:58 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Performance is paramount within your budget. As Debater said, its false economy to search cheap equipment constantly and throw it after a few hits if there is a more expensive rubber that will last and suit better. I went through the EJ stage and spent a fair amount on cheaper blades and rubbers. When I bit the bullet and bought my first Gergely and tensors I knew I wasn't going back to cheaper stuff. The feel was chalk and cheese. I did however stick with chinese pips for a long time until I realised how much more deadly Dtecs is in m game. A mate gave me my first sheet after he tried it and found it not for him, and I really hoped I wouldn't love it given its cost. At first I didn't like it. Months after that though on second try, I was hooked and no looking back now. Given I have had 18 months or more from my first sheet of Rasant and it is still going strong, I wouldn't bother using anything else. And as for the Dtecs, well, pips last so long for me that its going to be double the life of the Rasant for a sheet I think. ;)

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2013, 10:04 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
Performance! If you think about the time and cost of travelling to pennants, training, tournaments.... the cost of the rubber is relatively insignificant!

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2013, 10:13 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

For me, performance comes first. No point torturing myself with stuff that don't quite work for me when there is something better out there. Fortunately for me, I found my BH rubber in the Dtecs. I have so far not broken any pips so they are very lasting which is good. FH rubber, I find I like a few like M1, M2 and Omega V so can use any of them. Again thankfully, I find they do last many months making them economical.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2013, 10:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Quote:
If I could find "my magic bullet" I would mortgage the family cow in a New York minute.
tOD Thanks tOD, This was SUPER FUNNY!

Performance off rubber first and durability second for me.As far price range always try to find $50 or less per sheet if possible. I agree with Purger!

Performance! If you think about the time and cost of travelling to pennants, training, tournaments.... the cost of the rubber is relatively insignificant! And I agree with PRW!

For me, performance comes first. No point torturing myself with stuff that don't quite work for me when there is something better out there. And I agree with fattchoi!

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2013, 11:29 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

When I first started (basement level with BBQ & beer), I bought myself what I thought was a decent bat from one of the sport stores. Joining a club, I soon mingled with more serious players and their advice was always to start out cheap. As I progressed as a player and proved that I had some natural talent for the game, I started to fine-tune my set up. This eventually meant moving from Asian blades and rubbers (Dawei/Friendship) to European ones (Andro).

I think it's been said many times on this forum that this performance/cost issue is dependant on not only your ability, but also the kind of player you aim to be (oh, and your cash level). Unfortunately there is no 'fairy godmother of a coach' who can tell you exactly how much you need to spend to give your game the best possible chance at success. If it's a case of trial and error, then better to start on a strict budget, because - as we all know - you'll end up spending more down the track.

So my answer is :?:

But I certainly stay away from gear that is too :cash:

Can we ever be truly :D ?

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear