OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2014, 05:22 

It say Friends on it, the number is 607, or 647? Can't make it out really.

I don't know how to describe the feeling, but when I hit the ball with it or chop with it, it feels like the ball hits mud or something like that, I didn't feel this weirdness on the Feint Long 2, and seemed the Feint Long 2 gave a lot more difficulties to my opponents.

Is this a normal thing to feel with some long pips? Or is this just too old?

Theres going to be a 3 day JOOLA championship in my city, where they are going to bring a lot of equipment, would be th cheapest, would love to know some information on how these blades compare: joola tonio hold white spot, butterfly powerdef, def 3, I'm more of a butterfly guy, but I'm on a budget as well.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2014, 05:42 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X
The pips sheet on it is ancient. Its garbage. If you were trying to play with an ancient sheet of Feint II it would likely feel and chop like crap, too.

Do you have even a used sheet of Orthodox? Even if its not exactly the right size, remove the black pips and replace them with the Orthodox. Put some fresh spinny inverted with thin sponge on the other side while you're at it. The inverted on it is likely ancient, too.

Then go practice with it and play a few matches to see how it does. Use what you learn to decide what to buy.

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2014, 14:16 

The orthodox rubbers I have are a least 15 years old, but they don't feel crappy like the friendship rubber :D

Also I want a new blade because the def blades have a much bigger head size, the armstrong is only 155×150 compared to a def 3 wich is 165×155 :)

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2014, 18:03 
Super User

ChaserHUN wrote:
The orthodox rubbers I have are a least 15 years old, but they don't feel crappy like the friendship rubber :D

Also I want a new blade because the def blades have a much bigger head size, the armstrong is only 155×150 compared to a def 3 wich is 165×155 :)

Well, if they are 15 years old, I wouldn't expect they would be still usable, let alone reusable.

I too thought the bigger defensive blades would help my game, but ended up trimming them down because I wasn't able to move the paddle quick enough to make good attacks or reaction block shots with the larger defensive blades probably because they got a lot heavier with the rubber on them. Initially I cut them down to normal head size of 155 x 150, but recently I went a bit larger at 160 x 155 and that size feels better and I'm able to get it to most balls in time and swing it fast enough for example, to chop with inverted, which requires lots of racket speed.

I also have gone from a normal off the shelf, store bought blade where both sides are the same to a blade designed for use both attacking and chopping with inverted on an OFF or OFF- forehand side and an ALL or ALL- backhand side designed to maximize the effectiveness of high reversal 0X long pips. My favorite way to play is to use the reversal of the long pips to cause opponent mistakes, and then finish off the points with my inverted when they manage to still get the ball onto my side of the table. Of course, if you don't plan on attacking like that very much, or don't need the spin reversal, you don't need a blade like that. I've been finishing the blades myself, and they are inexpensive at about 25 euros, so I've been able to afford to make multiple tries to find what works best. Prior to the custom blades, the one I was able to win the most with was a normal sized Yasaka Extra, which had great control for chopping, but was also fast enough to attack with. With the bigger defensive blades, I seemed to lose some of my attacking ability, and so I couldn't finish off the points, and as a result, overall I didn't play quite as well.

I guess you should know how you want to play to decide what the right kind of blade is for you.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2014, 14:37 

Just found out theres a new DEF blade from butterfly, half the price as the Def. 3

http://de.butterfly.tt/gionis-carbon-def.html

Panagiotis Gionis custom blade, seems good, I like his playing style as well.

The rubbers he uses are Tenergy 05 and Feint Long 2, according to other forums.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2014, 15:45 
Super User

According to the marketing text it sounds like a good fit, but I didn't find any reviews of anyone playing with one to confirm it. The link you posted says they don't have any, but maybe you can order one or find one elsewhere.

Its not expensive compared to most Butterfly equipment I've seen, but that could be good or bad depending how you look at it. At that price it might not be a bad bet.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2014, 05:12 

I had finally time to play a professiinal coach in my city, he said I shouldn't be defending, just pushing and blocking with my BH and attacking with my forehand. We tried different rackets, and he said the armstrong with the tibhar and the LP fit me the best.

Since I don't want to open a new thread for this, I want an all butterfly blade.

Thinking of getting the grubba carbon all+, feint long 2 ox on the backhand, and maybe putting my sriver fx on the forehand, unsure a bit of the sriver. Had the chance to try a tackiness chop 1,1. I didn't seem to bee that slow for looping, had a lot of feel to it actually, it was on a pretty fast stiga blade, topspins were a bit slow.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2014, 14:45 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

abdulmuhsee wrote:
Hardbat is the definition of "jack of all trades but master of none." It can chop fairly well, but not as well as a rubber made specifically for it. It can loop and hit, but not as well as rubbers made specifically for that either. Unless you have an interest in being a purist when it comes to equipment, it's not necessarily a style you should invest a large amount of time in.

Can't say I've ever seen or read about anyone looping with hardbat. Topspin drives, yes. But you need inverted for a real loop. The loop drive was invented sometime in the 1960s, well into the sponge era.

Iskandar