OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2014, 21:45 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Were a small club in a country town. We have about 50 players per season and I would say that our standard is from beginner to intermediate, perhaps lower.

No one in our club uses pips. In the last 3 years I know of two people that tried them, one short the other long, but used like inverted.

There seems to be a lot of pips discussion on this forum so it got me thinking what percentage of players use pips at other clubs.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2014, 22:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
I am in a much smaller club (may have an average of 10 or so a session with a range of 2-20). A few years ago over half our players used pips of some type. Now it is probably 70% double inverted. We are also a beginner club to intermediate.

We have lacked a full time anti-spin rubber player for the over 10 years I have been there. In my opinion every club needs at least one anti-spin, 1 long pip, 1 medium pip and short pip players as well as double inverted-if for no other reason than to be ready for tournaments or league play.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2014, 22:50 
Super User

I use pips both sides. (shot & Long). I know other player that uses them on his backhand. We have one anti player (almost like LP but we won't count that one). We have a really good hardbat player.

thinking... Think that's it.

So 3 players out of lets say 20 regulars in any given week.

No doubt though this board has built it's reputation on having a wealth of knowledge on LPs. If you ever want to learn about LPs, plenty of info on here. That's it's niche.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2014, 22:59 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
A simple but interesting question :-).

I'm in a small club with approx. 50 members, all levels. Only three members (6%) have pimples: two blockers who esp. rely on disturbing the opponent (one has FL II OX, the other has old D'tecs OX). I'm the only chopper in our club and I rarely meet other choppers in my League... Oh there is also one anti spin player in our club (Yasaka Anti Power).

In our Province, some clubs are known as "pimple clubs". There the percentage is a lot higher. Mostly blockers/disturbers, rarely choppers. Some European countries (like Ukraine, Belarus) are also known as real "pimple countries"...

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2014, 23:00 
Super User

I play in various Korean clubs. The percentage varies from 5% to 20%. Many of the women use short pips, almost all of them use Nittaku Express. A few use D-techs or P-1R, OX of course!

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2014, 23:05 
My Precious

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
My wife & I are members of 2 social TT clubs of about 50 & 35. We are the only ones who play with pips on our BH with one other that plays with pips on both sides :party:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2014, 04:57 
Super User

Other than a couple guys with LP on TPH backside for rare deployment, I'm also the only LP chopper/defender at the place I play regularly.

Recently I've been canvasing the local clubs/tournaments esp higher level ones to seek out compatriots for exchange of advice and there are only a few out of hundreds of players. Most seem to play at a decent level, and one used to go to team nationals with a team formed with another chopper (and his students) from japan, so there does seem to be the sense that we "stick together".

IMO it's a tough road to take, but perhaps the shared sense of challenge helps. :D

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2014, 06:05 

Blade: TSP Balsa 5.5 All+
FH: Nittaku Beautry 1.8mm
BH: S&T Hellfire ox
15 out of 46

2 are anti-spin, 2 are short pips and 11 long pips.

Setup3: Blade: DMS Destroyer FH: Tenergy 05 max BH: DMS Transformer 1.5

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2014, 10:47 

1 out of about 5-6 regulars :o in our "mini" club.
She uses inverted rubber on the forehand and long pips on the backhand, mostly for blocking and some occasional chopping.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2014, 14:49 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
We have 3 out of 10 (with every player level above the average tournament player).

One sponged heavy chopper, me as an allround ox player and one attack ox player without the chop-motion.

Last edited by Roy on 28 Oct 2014, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2014, 15:14 

One club only has 6 players and I'm the only pipper (LP's). The other has 20 players and I'm the only LP'er, one has short pips on the backhand and another has short pips on both sides.

Beginner to intermediate at both clubs.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2014, 22:39 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I always joke that Wisconsin is the pip capital of the world, in terms of the amount of players that use them. Of the regulars who are serious about the game and play tournaments, I would estimate that at least 30-40% use something like long pips, short pips, or medium pips. We used to have a couple of anti players, but I haven't seen that recently.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2014, 22:55 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
In Korea... At least 1/2 of the O40 womens crowd uses OX LPs. A small minority of mens div 1 level women use SP on BH. Maybe under 10% overall of men use pips.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 02:25 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Out of about 20 regulars, we have now four LP players. It used to be one (me). I play SP/LP.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 02:34 

Cobalt wrote:
Were a small club in a country town. We have about 50 players per season and I would say that our standard is from beginner to intermediate, perhaps lower.

No one in our club uses pips. In the last 3 years I know of two people that tried them, one short the other long, but used like inverted.

There seems to be a lot of pips discussion on this forum so it got me thinking what percentage of players use pips at other clubs.

I would say our club might have 100-120 regular to semi-regular players. ( some day, some evening players, some just weekend).

I personally know of 8 people playing Long Pips, 1 playing medium pips, and 1 playing short pips

Experimental Blade : Victas Koji Matushista Def : TSP Curl P1r LP .6 sponge : Giant Dragon Submarine Chop

My Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=25085