OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 08:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 08:13 

I just took delivery of a Butterfly Club 25 Rollaway. Nice table, unfortunately I didn't notice some damage to the top until 2 hours into the assembly process. Since this is the second table I ordered (the first was damaged in shipment also), and I'm almost done assembling, I've decided to live with it and try to repair it. Fortunately, the damage is on a corner of the table under the net, so it won't affect play and will be less noticeable than if it was on an outer corner.

So, any suggestions as to how to repair? I'm thinking I need some kind of putty to square up the corner, and then some paint. The paint will be tricky. I need both the white paint on the lines, and a little blue paint to match the blue of the table.

- Dave

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 08:50 

Blade: DHS HK III
FH: Juic 999 Turbo 2.0
BH: Juic 999 Turbo 2.0
DaveT,
Sorry to hear ur havin no luck with your new table.

http://www.agnewswaterputty.com.au

I think this is a good option for repair and very handy stuff to have around the home.
As for matching paint colours, you're probably going to need to get yourself a colour "swatch" and then get a small sample tin in a flat matt that matches.
Hope this is of some help and good luck!!

HnG

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 11:59 

Thanks. I'll try the water putty, but I don't have much hope matching the paint by simply trying swatches. I need to know what type of paint they use. I contacted Butterfly, not sure if they'll respond. But if anyone else has any suggestions I'd appreciate it!

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 13:12 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Can you post a pic of the damage Dave?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 14:10 

Sure. Here are two pictures. They show part of what broke off - a little triangular piece. It doesn't really fit well back into the damaged section - the particleboard was crushed a little. But maybe it's an option to try to stick that into some putty as a start of the repair.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 15:35 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Fix it like you would a plaster or drywall, but with stuff made for wood. Same concept. Tape off area not needed to repair, fill in the open area a little over, sand down, prime, then white paint and you are 100% fixed and 90% plus visual based on the pic you are showing.

You might be able to cover the area you filled in with a sticker of something TT to conceal it further, like maybe a Tenergy or a Speed Axel or a Yasaka or whatever is handy.

When you get a rip in a jacket near the chest area, often sewing a patch over the rip totally conceals and fixed the tear.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 15:45 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

It just doesn't seem good enough that you've had to endure two bad deliveries. From the picture shown, I don't think it will affect play at all. But I'm guessing you like things to be right ... and fair enough! It looks like the members with handyman skills are giving good advice.

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 19:19 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I'd go with Der's method but if you have a good laser or inkjet colour printer photograph the good side and print a sticker that can then be placed over the repair and you can paint that with a semi-gloss clear coat that will harden the sticker and make it fairly permanent and be pretty well colour matched.

Disgusting that you get 2 tables delivered like this. One is a mistake, but 2 is negligence by them. I would let them know their error has occurred twice and that you are repairing it yourself due to the inconvenience their ineptitude keeps causing you. Maybe they will offer something in recompense.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 20:36 

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I'd go with Der's method but if you have a good laser or inkjet colour printer photograph the good side and print a sticker that can then be placed over the repair and you can paint that with a semi-gloss clear coat that will harden the sticker and make it fairly permanent and be pretty well colour matched.

Disgusting that you get 2 tables delivered like this. One is a mistake, but 2 is negligence by them. I would let them know their error has occurred twice and that you are repairing it yourself due to the inconvenience their ineptitude keeps causing you. Maybe they will offer something in recompense.

Thanks that's a good idea. The sticker would be raised and maybe noticeable, but maybe less so than anything I could do trying to march the paint.

As far as complaint to them, "they" is Amazon. Amazon is incredible convenient, but tough to deal with if there's a problem. All I could imagine them doing is offering to replace it, and I don't want to deal with the hassle of getting yet another table. My back would be pretty upset with me if I had to get another table up the stairs too!

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 21:27 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
A real shame, would really annoy me. Some good ideas there, good luck.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 00:15 

Considering where the damage is and how much trouble it would be to return it, I would also keep it. Besides, the 3rd one could have damage where it would matter to play. If it were mine, I would either not even bother to repair it or fill with plastic wood and paint over it. Once you get a few marks on the table from accidentally hitting it, you will forget about the damage that doesn't matter to play. I've gone with similar things with other products and forgot about any insignificant defect in a few days after I got over the initial disgust.

Donic Appelgren Allplay V1 flared Yasaka A-1.2 A-1 Yasaka A-1.2 A-1 123 gm - Wife's alternate.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 00:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dave T wrote:
I just took delivery of a Butterfly Club 25 Rollaway. Nice table, unfortunately I didn't notice some damage to the top until 2 hours into the assembly process. Since this is the second table I ordered (the first was damaged in shipment also), and I'm almost done assembling, I've decided to live with it and try to repair it. Fortunately, the damage is on a corner of the table under the net, so it won't affect play and will be less noticeable than if it was on an outer corner.

So, any suggestions as to how to repair? I'm thinking I need some kind of putty to square up the corner, and then some paint. The paint will be tricky. I need both the white paint on the lines, and a little blue paint to match the blue of the table.

- Dave

Depending on availability near you, your chip might be large enough for laser matching at a place that sells auto body paint. In some cases you can have your custom color put into a rattle can. Check with seller for sealing, priming and sanding for your particular situation.

Good Luck
tOD

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 15:36 

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
You could always have a custom logo printed in Ur sticker, perhaps "Powered by DAVE" and somewhere have a small picture of Ur hairy chest flexing or something...

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 03:17 

I contacted Amazon, just to see what they would say. I just told them that it was damaged and asked what they could do. I almost immediately got a reply that a new table is on its way (!), and that they wanted me to pack up the original for the shipper to take with them when they deliver the new one. That's sort of nice, but totally ignores the issues with assembling, disassembling, transporting up/down stairs, packing up, etc. As I'm sure you know - this thing is HUGE and HEAVY! They offered me $150 for my troubles. Big deal.

I replied back explaining that it's not trivial to pack this up and proposed that they keep their $150 and not have me return the old one. That would be nice, I could use one of them to replace the cardboard table in my basement.

They didn't bite on that, and insist that I pack up the old one. They say that it doesn't matter how sloppily I do it, and could use multiple boxes. They just don't get what they're asking. How would I even do that? Tape paper on the outside? It's tough dealing with them, I'm dealing with some kind of Indian call center.

So, ..., I replied back, again insisting that I can't pack it up and again requesting that I just keep the old one. I also counter-proposed that I could pack up the old one in the packing that the new one came in, if they could just have the shipper come back later. That would be easy - just slide the table out of one of the boxes and swap the damaged table top and rebox. Easy peasy.

So, that's my story so far...

- Dave

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 04:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dave,

I have to give you an A for effort on this one. You could just take one good half and then put your bad half back in if that would save the trouble. Schleping the things up and down stairs has to be a bummer.

I hope they succumb to reason. They will never sell a broken table, so why they want it back and paying the freight twice would also seem counter productive. What kind of table is it?

tOD

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!