OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 17:10

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Really slow short pip?
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2013, 10:09 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

So Ive been playing with the osp immune and 1.0mm 802 on bh and im really liking the speed and spin differential. I was wondering what rubbers are out the with say less speed and maybe more control. Is dr evil something like that and does it play any good with some sponge. Something that you can vary between medium spin and no spin would be ideal. Not really looking for something really low on spin, not much less than 802 anyway. Id try a proper hard bat rubber maybe if they are slow enough. Or maybe a grippy 'anti' like say in the reflectoid super soft sponge.but on snother level of soft.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2013, 14:08 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
802-40 would be the thing to try with thin sponge. Dr. Evil is pretty fast and poor control from what I have read. Haven't used it myself.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2013, 14:16 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Donic Baxster D25

If you want the REALLY slowest, there's a Baxster D100 currently on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Donic-Baxter- ... 7b708ec50d

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2013, 15:16 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

foam wrote:
... Or maybe a grippy 'anti' like say in the reflectoid super soft sponge.but on snother level of soft.

Did you ever consider the 804. You would lose the "feel" of pips, but other than that I think it matches your request, judging by the rather brief hit I had with it some time ago.
You can get some spin, similar to the 802, so the "Spin 0" rating printed on the package is not accurate :)

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2013, 15:48 
Horse Hockey!

Put some 2.0 Aero Sponge on the 802 and it will be dead slow. And Dr Evil has tons of control, but it was too slow for me...basically a hardbat rubber.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2013, 16:53 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll look those rubbers up. You reckon Dr Evil has more control than 802?

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2013, 18:08 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
A different sponge could well be the answer, foam. Apparently the 802 matches beautifully with a certain sponge but I can't for the life of me remember which one it was :( I know that Hou uses Spectol on a custom soft sponge too so if it's for chopping that's probably your answer.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2013, 18:08 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Oh and Dr Evil has reversal doesn't it? Which makes it effectively a different play style to a standard SP.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2013, 22:18 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

dunc, from the better hardbat guys that I've played, it seems all hardbats get some reversal when you are feeding heavy spin at them, but still grip a bit when there's not a loaded inverted coming at them. Interesting stuff they are, Id assume the Immune us a blade that would work very well with a hardbat rubber too.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2013, 23:07 
Super User

799 is ''slower'' than 802

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2013, 03:57 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
802-40 would be the thing to try with thin sponge. Dr. Evil is pretty fast and poor control from what I have read. Haven't used it myself.

Dr. Evil is not fast at all. I used it for hardbat for years, only abandoning it last year when they produced a batch with the wrong rubber formula that was faster and spinnier and more like a normal short pip. They are now back to the regular/correct formula.

I've never tried Dr. Evil with sponge. The general take is that it doesn't work well with sponge.

You might consider Dr. Evil's sibling rubber Peacekeeper with sponge. It's a similar compound, not lots of speed or spin when played OX. The sponge should add some of both.

Last edited by wturber on 09 Aug 2013, 01:59, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2013, 03:59 
Super User

foam wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll look those rubbers up. You reckon Dr Evil has more control than 802?

Dr. Evil and Peacekeeper both have less bounce than 802. That's why both are approved for hardbat in the U.S.. Regular 802 has more spin than the classical hardbat players in the U.S. think is appropriate.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2013, 04:04 
Super User

dunc wrote:
Oh and Dr Evil has reversal doesn't it? Which makes it effectively a different play style to a standard SP.

Reversal? Not really. At least certainly not in the same sense as long pips. That said, if blocking dead against a very spinny loop, the ball can "skid" off of the rubber and maybe get a little bit of reversal. I've played with Dr. Evil for years. The reversal bit is about 98% myth in my opinion. But then, I cleaned my pips and didn't let dirt build up on them. Maybe if you don't clean your pips you'll get more reversal.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2013, 14:50 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
wturber wrote:
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:

Dr. Evil is not fast at all. I used it for hardbat for years, only abandoning it last year when they produced a batch with the wrong rubber formula that was faster and spinnier and more like a normal short pip. They are not back to the regular/correct formula.

Thanks for clarifying that Jay. Maybe what I read was from someone who used one from that wrong batch? I did give PK a go years ago, but I didn't realise it and Dr.Evil played much the same. PK is a medium pip though isn't it? Actually a medium pip may be the best thing for Foam to try anyway. Foam give DHS C7 a go, its a great MP IMO.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2013, 02:23 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

wturber wrote:
dunc wrote:

Reversal? Not really. At least certainly not in the same sense as long pips. That said, if blocking dead against a very spinny loop, the ball can "skid" off of the rubber and maybe get a little bit of reversal. I've played with Dr. Evil for years. The reversal bit is about 98% myth in my opinion. But then, I cleaned my pips and didn't let dirt build up on them. Maybe if you don't clean your pips you'll get more reversal.

I'm glad you said that because in truth I've just regurgitated something from a player that I don't really trust the opinion of anyway! He described Dr Evil as a "LP in SP form" which made no real sense to me at the time so I just presumed the pips were longer than SPs or something.

[Other gear I've used]