OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:57

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 08 May 2016, 11:24 
Cho Tokusen

I just ordered a new blade from TTJapan, a special order blade from Butterfly, Chinese Tamca ULC in J-pen version. However it seems that they are testing my patience : delivery time is 40 working days ! I have confirmed the order because Butterfly might change their policy about special order blade.
Previously I bought a Schlager Carbon in J-pen version and they delivered the blade. Then I wanted to order another one, but they said they could not accept order for special made blade. Now after some time I made a new inquiry and they accepted it, so I have to grab this opportunity.
Nittaku seems to be more flexible in this matter. I bought Violin in J-pen version without any fuss, and afterwards I bought Acoustic in J-pen version without any problem.

PostPosted: 08 May 2016, 11:53 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I'm curious why you buy custom blades aeoliah. Is it because you can't get what you want from the standard range, or do you want something very specific that's not made, or is it that you feel you'll get a better quality product?

PostPosted: 08 May 2016, 12:00 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Sounds like he plays Japanese Penhold. Not so much choice. If he wants some specific blade that's not made that way, the only way to get it would be to special-order it, or to modify one yourself. Us shakehands players are spoiled - thousands of choices. I am surprised Butterfly does this. Nittaku, yes. Yinhe, yes. It's in their catalogs.

By the way... have you had a look at the Armstrong catalog? Lots and lots of Japanese penhold blades, including some weird looking ones. More types than anyone else makes.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 May 2016, 13:05 
Cho Tokusen

Iskandar is right, there is no Tamca ULC in J-pen version, so I have to get it by special order. I just bought the Chinese Tamca ULC and I want to have the J-pen version. We the J-Penners live in a barren world, not like you Shake Handers :(
I have seen some other brands for the J-pen blades, but I do not know how they perform and up to now they do not interest me, which is very good for my wallet :D

PostPosted: 09 May 2016, 13:20 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I think most Japanese brands would have quite a range of them. Trouble is that there's so little demand for them outside Japan (compared to shakehand), so most retailers cannot afford to stock them.

PostPosted: 09 May 2016, 13:58 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The Butterfly catalog does not mention very many, even back in the 1970s and 80s. There'd be one or two pages, more or less - just the Senkoh 1, Senkoh 5, the (if I'm not mistaken) Layer R and S, the Tamca 5000, the Rotor. Last time I looked at the Nittaku website there was a similar lack of Japanese Penhold blades. So all these blades with exotic fibers, the Innerforce, the ZLCs and whatnot - they're not available in Japanese penhold. Lots of single ply Hinoki, though.

There was a time when Japanese penhold was the dominant style here, back in the 1970s. All the schoolkids bought the cheap Butterfly Biriba rackets, there were even ultra-cheap Japanese penhold bats from China (these had really atrocious rubber in green or blue or red, the topsheets would peel off in a month or so).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 May 2016, 15:25 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

iskandar taib wrote:
There was a time when Japanese penhold was the dominant style here, back in the 1970s. All the schoolkids bought the cheap Butterfly Biriba rackets, there were even ultra-cheap Japanese penhold bats from China (these had really atrocious rubber in green or blue or red, the topsheets would peel off in a month or so). Iskandar

Where is "here"?

PostPosted: 09 May 2016, 15:27 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Malaysia.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 May 2016, 06:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I special ordered a blade from Btfly and it was about three months before I received it.

PostPosted: 15 May 2016, 17:00 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

For the rest of us who've never done it, can you tell us how one goes about ordering a custom blade from Butterfly? Very curious, though I doubt I'd do it myself.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 May 2016, 03:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The Butterfly NA webpage actually has a place where you can do it.

http://butterflyonline.com/contact/special-orders/

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine most official Btfly dealers in other regions have something similar.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!