OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Old Stock Rubber
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2016, 02:37 

Hey guys!
I have a question in mind about the rubber that stocked in the shop for too long. I'm little bit worried about store that sells an old stock rubber (still in the nice package, unopen, brand new but just stay there for long time) to me. Is there any side effects or bad things if i buy that old stock rubber? How to detect or identify that the rubber is new stock or old one? Because my friends said that old stock rubber has a shorter lifespan. Is it a myth or fact?

I hope I can get an explanation for this matter. Thank you so much for your time.

W.

Post subject: Re: Old Stock Rubber
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2016, 11:27 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
It really depends on how its stored. Rubber oxidises in contact with air, not much but over time it gets harder. When I buy tires for my car I store them in black plastic bags under the house so the rubber compounds don't harden up and dry out.

I'm not sure how the shelf life is affected on TT rubbers in general, but its likely to be gradual and dependent on things like if the storage is in a hot warehouse, if its super dry, if its exposed to sunlight etc.

That said I always like popular rubbers as it means that the stock is usually newer, but I doubt that the effect is going to be overly pronounced or even noticeable on a sheet of rubber unless it has been in storage for a very long time or in adverse conditions.

I guess to sum up its always going to be better to get newer rubbers as they will probably have a slightly longer lifespan, in reality though, your hours of use and how you care for your bat and rubber is going to effect its lifespan much more then the time its spent on the self at a store.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2016, 16:34 

apophis wrote:
It really depends on how its stored. Rubber oxidises in contact with air, not much but over time it gets harder. When I buy tires for my car I store them in black plastic bags under the house so the rubber compounds don't harden up and dry out.

I'm not sure how the shelf life is affected on TT rubbers in general, but its likely to be gradual and dependent on things like if the storage is in a hot warehouse, if its super dry, if its exposed to sunlight etc.

That said I always like popular rubbers as it means that the stock is usually newer, but I doubt that the effect is going to be overly pronounced or even noticeable on a sheet of rubber unless it has been in storage for a very long time or in adverse conditions.

I guess to sum up its always going to be better to get newer rubbers as they will probably have a slightly longer lifespan, in reality though, your hours of use and how you care for your bat and rubber is going to effect its lifespan much more then the time its spent on the self at a store.

Well the rubber is stored in the shelf inside the store and does not get the sunlight directly, and our country has a humid climate.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2016, 08:12 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
If this is the case then I think it would be fine. Unless its a rubber that has been sitting on the shelf for years I don't think it will be an issue.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2016, 12:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Agree with apophis :up:

If the rubber is (factory) boosted (many of the new generations rubbers are), you might notice some reduction in speed and liveliness.

Rubbers do (very slowly) dry out and harden over time. The only evidence I've noticed of this is that the edges of the sponge can de-colour a little. It's hard to know how much the rubber has been affected.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2016, 19:37 

The rubber that I want to buy is actually a chinese tacky rubber like dhs hurricane 3 neo and not tensor rubber. How about that?