OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Sandpaper
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2016, 17:48 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I've seen this in the Yinhe catalog, but I didn't realize you could actually buy it on Eacheng! The one in the catalog is brown.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 82359.html

A mite expensive, though, considering what it is... Wonder if the blade would have any advantages as a hardbat (i.e. after removing the sandpaper and gluing on the appropriate rubber).

Iskandar

Post subject: Re: Sandpaper
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2016, 18:06 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
Yo , you mean to tell me it has sandpaper as the hitting surface? well damn!

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2016, 08:08 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
i think it is for ping pong (a new sport:)

i was 1st in Zagreb with that kind of paddle, had a matchpoint in half-final against a guy that went to London afterwards...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Cha ... _Ping_Pong

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2016, 09:45 
Super User

111Iceman111 wrote:

i was 1st in Zagreb with that kind of paddle, had a matchpoint in half-final against a guy that went to London afterwards...

Im guessing the rallies are longer than ususal?

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2016, 13:34 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

111Iceman111 wrote:

NEW SPORT?????? It's been around since table tennis began!!!! People first stated playing "Gossima" with vellum bats, then there was bare wood, and then someone tried sandpaper. One day someone discovered pimpled rubber and that took over the table tennis world (forget exactly when - 1920s or 30s, probably). But there were notable world-class players into the 1930s and 40s who still used sandpaper. I forget who it was, one drew a skull and crossbones on the face of his bat.

You're probably referring to the new (actually, maybe 15-20 years old now) "craze" of sandpaper table tennis among some hardbat players. Marty Reisman spent the last years of his life promoting it, they even held sandpaper events at the US Nationals. And then someone in Europe set up this "World of Ping Pong" thing - there they used standardized bats, and the game is more like the modern one rather than the one that existed pre-1952 (where defense ruled). And meanwhile there was a group of people in the Phillipines who continued to play with sandpaper (called "Liha") all these years - I think games to 19 points, weird serve rules...

Not sure why Yinhe is making these - maybe they're for some sort of similar event in China.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2016, 22:45 
Super User

hold you horses iskandar, thats why there was a smile after the sentence :)

ofc its not new, but it is new in a way that this ping pong championship is using that paddles for its competition, and it is going from 2011, so its new...

that is why i copy pasted a link too :rock:

on the other note, it is fun...there is not much spin you can transfer to the ball, so points last longer and are fun to play...
in the top level ie. on WCPP (World Championship of Ping Pong) people have adopted so they are playing with it almost like inverted rubbers...

the incentive is to have a Chinese representative on the WCPP too, so i guess sellers have seen the market for that kind of blade...

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2016, 22:50 
Super User

He goes to 11 tho, you can't hold him down :p

I can only imagine the long rallies between two good players.
They have to impose the time limit rule again.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 17:17 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Watching the videos of the Ping Pong World matches on YouTube, it looks a lot more like the modern game than it does the old, classic hardbat. Very little chop defense, mainly topspin vs. topspin, and quite short rallies. Not sure why this is, I've been told it's because the standardized bats in WPP tournaments are quite fast. Choppers like slower blades (like the old Hock 3 plies). You can compare them yourself - there are a lot of the old 1950s classic matches on YouTube. Back then you usually ended up with one player attacking and the other chopping, with much longer rallies. At one World Champs in the 1930s some matches went on for hours, so they introduced the expedite rule. This forced the server to attack, so you ended up with attack vs. defense and matches that took a reasonable amount of time.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 17:20 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
The WCPP bats are indeed suprisingly fast.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

185g

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 18:49 
Super User

the thing is, when you defend with that sandpaper blades, you are always on the verge of losing a point...because you cant vary the spin at all and you are at mercy of the attacker...and he is attacking with no spin balls...so it is really easy to hit hard in the direction where he want...and you cant retrieve that...

so i found out that on every hard ball the opponent give me it is better to counter hit it with open blade (what is very hard to do) than to go under the ball in a chop defender motion and lose the point for sure if the opponent is any good...

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 21:46 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

No, it can be done. The idea, I think, is to chop deep so the other guy can't angle you out as much. Whether you have enough control with the WCPP bats is another matter.

See the rally starting about 2:09. Note those classic hardbat topspin drives! Very different stroke than the one used today.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 06:20 
Super User

these people playing at the wcpp are all former or current top table tennis players in their top form and can drive through the ball much much harder than this...and blades are probably faster as well...

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2016, 12:20 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

That's probably what the deal is - the blades at the WCPP are too fast to control chops. There's a limit to how fast you can hit balls with sandpaper (and hardbat) no matter how hard you hit the ball because topspin is limited. The ball will miss the end of the table if you hit it too hard. Smashing high balls is one thing, driving low chops is another.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2016, 19:50 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Hmmm!! There's actually TWO Yinhe sandpaper bats - here's the cheaper one.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 36102.html

Available in FL, ST or Cpen!!!! How many Yinhe blades are available in ST?? The handle is more or less the same one they use on the 01B premade, the N11 and N10.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2016, 14:52 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
https://www.topspintt.com/products/bats ... r-bat-bats

The "Official blade used at all World Championship of Ping Pong events".

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!