OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:25

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 10:35 

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Spin Art 2.1 (TBC)
BH: Spin Art 1.9
Hey! I use Zhang Jike Super ZLC with Spin Art 1.9 on my forehand, but Spin Art does not work well with my backhand. I have problems using it on my backhand because my backhand is my push when playing against pimples (which I frequently lose to). I need something with good control and spin that can adjust to my push game when playing against pimples. I am open to anti, inverted, flat, or any other rubber, as long as it can work with my style. Reversal is important to me. I often use twiddling, so please don't worry about strategy.

Any suggestions? Right now I am looking at Spinlord Marder.

Thank you in advanced!!

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 12:38 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Spinny rubbers make it harder to receive spin, less control. Anti gives the most control against spin. Disadvantage is you cannot make spin.
I play Seemiller grip with anti on the back side. I don't have to twiddle, I can just roll the forarm to use the anti. Instant choice.
I use anti for serve return a lot. They get their own spin back reversed. Real spinny servers get frustrated unless they figure out what is coming back. some will switch to no spin serves but then I use the primary side and loop or flip it back.
In China I played all kinds of pip players, some real good. When we got into a pushing match, the anti usually won against pips. They had to read spin more than I did.
If you already twiddle, anti could be a good weapon for you.
:)

I use Super Anti, a slick anti.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 21:34 
Super User

Blade: GiantDragon Kris2
FH: DHS H3 Neo
BH: Who Knows???
One thing I can definitely say is, if you're looking for reversal, and a low throw angle, stay away from the 729 804 anti - it is not nice! Pay the money for a better anti - I personally like Yasaka Anti Power or Butterfly Super Anti (that's what I have on my bats), and I find YAP gives better control, but reacts to spin more and gives less reversal. Given that you can twiddle, I would recommend getting an anti or pips of some description, but depending on how much reversal you want compared to attacking (depends on your inverted backhand), you might want to even try MP or SP. Perhaps if you want to stay with inverted, try a Mark V or something? If you're looking for an attacking sort of pip with enough reversal, try something cheap like Friendship 563 or 755 (both MP). THat should give some reversal, along with some attacking capabilities.

Help me find a new blade please!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 00:33 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Musicfreak0 wrote:
If you're looking for an attacking sort of pip with enough reversal, try something cheap like Friendship 563 or 755 (both MP)

755 is definitely not an MP. Sure you can attack with it, but it is, without doubt, LP. Doesn't play anything like 563.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 01:11 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
spencer_r wrote:
Hey! I use Zhang Jike Super ZLC with Spin Art 1.9 on my forehand, but Spin Art does not work well with my backhand. I have problems using it on my backhand because my backhand is my push when playing against pimples (which I frequently lose to). I need something with good control and spin that can adjust to my push game when playing against pimples. I am open to anti, inverted, flat, or any other rubber, as long as it can work with my style. Reversal is important to me. I often use twiddling, so please don't worry about strategy.

Thank you in advanced!!

I am not sure such thing exists - that is a rubber that can adjust to the incoming spin by itself. Even if you put LP on your BH, you still have to read the spin and make the proper stroke - trust me, I pushed quite a few balls long or into the net with my LP.

Also, I don't understand why you say that 'reversal' is important to you, and then go straight to Marder - when people discuss 'spin reversal' here, they are mostly talking about abilities of LP/Anti, not inverted rubbers.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 04:58 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Having seen pgpg's comment, I thought I'd go back and read the OP.

spencer_r wrote:
Hey! I use Zhang Jike Super ZLC with Spin Art 1.9 on my forehand, but Spin Art does not work well with my backhand.

It would really help if you would describe in a bit more detail what you mean. If you can post a video, that's massively better. However, a simple bug report looks like this:

- When I do this....
- I expected this...
- But this happened instead

So if you could be a bit more detailed, that would be great.

Quote:
I have problems using it on my backhand because my backhand is my push when playing against pimples

That's a non sequitur. Describe the problems, and why you think Spin Art is the problem.

Quote:
I need something with good control and spin

OK that's any all-round inverted rubber made by any reputable manufacturer.

Quote:
... that can adjust to my push game when playing against pimples.

I agree with pgpg! You're asking for a rubber with artificial intelligence, that can adjust to your game! If you ever find it, do share. I suspect this isn't really what you mean.

Quote:
I am open to anti, inverted, flat, or any other rubber, as long as it can work with my style.

You haven't described your style...

Quote:
Reversal is important to me.

OK... so this filters the rubbers considerably. Some sort of anti-spin or long pimples will give you reversal, but I don't really see how this is going to help you in the area which you have identified as a problem (pushing / playing against pimples).

Quote:
I often use twiddling, so please don't worry about strategy.

Another non-sequitur. Twiddle doesn't magically mean you don't need strategy...

Quote:

I've used Spinlord Marder. It's a great, all-round, spin/control rubber, at a great price. Excellent choice for an all-round rubber.

I'd like to help more (as would many others) but you're going to need to give a bit more info and background.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 06:33 
Super User

LordCope wrote:
Musicfreak0 wrote:
If you're looking for an attacking sort of pip with enough reversal, try something cheap like Friendship 563 or 755 (both MP)

755 is definitely not an MP. Sure you can attack with it, but it is, without doubt, LP. Doesn't play anything like 563.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right, LordCope - I don't know what made me think 755 was an MP.

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 16:14 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

hookshot wrote:
I use anti for serve return a lot. They get their own spin back reversed. Real spinny servers get frustrated unless they figure out what is coming back. some will switch to no spin serves but then I use the primary side and loop or flip it back.

What I do in such situations is to serve fast, long, heavy backspin. What comes back is long topspin, easy to attack. I set up someone with long pips at Weekend Doubles (he was having a lot of trouble returning spinny serves) and this is what I did when playing against his serve return.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 16:25 
LP Collector
LP Collector

iskandar taib wrote:
What I do in such situations is to serve fast, long, heavy backspin. What comes back is long topspin, easy to attack.

A common strategy. Long backspin serves can be attacked with LP, delivering a difficult, skiddy ball. Alternatively, a very long return isn't actually easy to attack because of the trajectory. Of course, also, I'm perfectly happy with someone attacking on the third ball. Defenders need to be attacked!

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 18:00 
Super User

LordCope wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:
What I do in such situations is to serve fast, long, heavy backspin. What comes back is long topspin, easy to attack.

A common strategy. Long backspin serves can be attacked with LP, delivering a difficult, skiddy ball. Alternatively, a very long return isn't actually easy to attack because of the trajectory. Of course, also, I'm perfectly happy with someone attacking on the third ball. Defenders need to be attacked!

I agree - it's a problem I get a lot when receiving. Congrats to Iskandar on 4000 posts, by the way! :party:

Last edited by Musicfreak0 on 13 Sep 2016, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 19:41 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Musicfreak0 wrote:
Congrats to Iskandar on 400 posts, by the way! :party:

4000 !

185g

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 22:13 
Super User

so_devo wrote:
Musicfreak0 wrote:
Congrats to Iskandar on 400 posts, by the way! :party:

4000 !

Duly noted, and edited accordingly! :oops: :lol: :oops: Well, Iskandar has hit 400 posts. :D