OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 14:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2016, 13:24 

I love the Palio Expert 2 racket which has Palio CJ8000 rubbers -- but they don't make a penhold version. I currently have a Killerspin 400 which is nice but the rubber is not as tacky and spin crazy as the CJ800 rubber. Can someone recommend a custom setup?

I know I can buy CJ8000 rubbers but I would prefer to buy from an outfit (like megaspin) that will make my racket for me and they don't sell Palio rubbers -- I'm not ready to start gluing my own rubbers etc.

I'm an intermediate player looking for next level of control and spin --- happy to spend $ if getting something awesome. Thanks for any advice!!!

-drew

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2016, 14:48 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
If you're happy with CJ8000 stick with CJ8000 - the only question that remains will be: which one?
I guess the Balance-version will fit the best, followed by 2-side loop then biotech, on 36-38° sponge.

Custom-made bats aren't a problem at Eacheng or TTnPP.com, you can either go with a listed premade or choose a blade and rubber(s), asking them to glue it for you. Price-tag would be around $30 for a intermediate to semi-pro setup.

Usually, shops like Megaspin or Tabletennis11 are also able to obtain everything you want even if it's not listed, you just need to ask and specify your wishes. That may add a few $ but it's still better than blindingly looking for a replacement just by picking something that is listed.
Some other shops like ttdd.de do have CJ8000 listed.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2016, 14:51 

Thanks! Any penhold blade recommendation to go with that and how about the other side? Since I'm pen-hold, I can try something totally different on the other side!

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2016, 15:16 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

There's a problem with CJ8000. All the sheets I've ever bought had a lot of "dish" - the rubber curled towards the sponge. This makes getting it on the blade a real pain in the neck. I'd suggest this instead:

http://ttnpp.com/store/cj8000/746-palio ... ers-6.html

If you want a blade:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 30858.html

Be sure to ask for the penhold version. If you want an assembled racket, order the blade, then order this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 51465.html

Ask them to assemble the racket for you.

Decide if you want to play RPB or not (it's NOT a basic technique). Most people I know who play penhold don't do RPB, and only have one sheet of rubber on the blade. That second sheet makes the racket heavy, traditional penhold players use the same side forehand and backhand, they like light rackets.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017, 10:03 

Hi iskander,

I am hijacking this post because I was actually wanting a Palio expert 2 but in penhold style because it was so highly recommended by ben.

Because it didn't existed I was strongly considering the dhs 4006. Only penhold in Europe via amazon. But thE seller was located in china. So i went to look at eacheng and aliexpress.

WoW the choice there is awesome. So many choices.

Is galaxy n11 with cj8000 the same as a Palio expert2? Which cj8000 are we talking about?
I was currently looking at an sanwei m8 with batwings in 1.8. Just 15$.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017, 16:25 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Can't say I've ever seen a Palio 2, so I don't know.. :lol: I'd say, given the price, just buy one and see what it plays like. As far as CJ8000 goes... just get the cheapest one with the sponge hardness that you think is about right.. Or buy three or four and try them all. You know what I think about CJ8000, getting it on the blade can be troublesome without resorting to "P.O." etc. Try Yinhe 9000, or Batwings, or maybe even Corbor, see if you like them any better. Given just $50-60 you can try a LOT of stuff... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2017, 00:15 

Not looking to try out a lot of stuff. Need a good beginner bat to learn to play and have fun in company competition.TUrns out both instinct and n11 are out in penhold.

So looking at alternatives.
I am strongly considering the sanwei m8 with general 729 for 16$. What kind of rubber should I get 2.2 and medium hard?
Otherwise maybe the n10 or the instinct +.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2017, 00:25 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The truth is, any of these would make a good beginner's bat. Of the three I would be inclined to choose the M8, it is slightly slower than the N11. The Instinct feels a little clunky and heavy to me but a lot of people use it and say they like it.

Let's see.. you want a penhold bat.. you will need to decide on the RPB question, and how much weight you can tolerate. If you don't go with RPB then you'll need a paint sheet or will actually have to paint the reverse side. In any case do get the penhold version of the blade.

The 729 Batwings is good rubber, yeah, 2.2mm and medium or medium hard - 40 or 42 degrees (might not be a choice) would be OK.

By the way, this is the cheapest combo price from Eacheng at the moment:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Sh ... 20589.html

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2017, 05:07 

Thanks iskander.
Yeah thats The choice. I always play with regular sh bats. So with booth side covered. I Will take The ph with booth sides too i guests t first.

Btw do you know The 729 #2060? Seems even cheaper Than the m8. Has Cream 729 rubbers. Not Sire which Blade iT uses.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2017, 08:04 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

You mean this?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RITC-72 ... 62951.html

No, haven't tried it. There's a good twenty or so pre-mades in the Eacheng stores, I've only tried a couple of the Yinhe ones (which are quite good). The difference here, as you've probably noticed, is this one's actually available in a penhold version. Should be OK. Again, it's cheap, no reason not to get one - you can always use it as a loaner (which is what I use my Yinhe premades for). If I needed a half dozen or a dozen bats to equip a school team, I'd get some premades from Eacheng.

Penhold traditionally uses one side of the racket, and you should try a one-sided one, they're a lot lighter.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2017, 14:55 

Yeah that's the one.
Really cheap. Which of the yinhe premades do you like for a beginner?
Already ordered the sanwei. But they don't have medium. Only in 42. Is that hard?

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2017, 15:31 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

42 is about medium. They often have some 44 in stock as well (that's harder). I don't think I've seen it in other than 42 or 44.

I've tried the Yinhe 01B and 06B. They're both OK, the 01B is a little slower with more vibration. The 06B seems to be a 7 ply (looks like a Clipper with the red plies). Both are fairly lightweight.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 May 2017, 05:51 

Hi iskander been playing the m8 sanwei with the 729 for the last few weeks. Delivered within 3 weeks.
First penhold bat ever.
Had to get use to it.
And it felt really weird at first. But getting used to it now.

I love the sound it can give on some hits it. A loud sharpish crack. Totally different then normal hits.
What is this? Am I hitting the sweet spot? Or is it because I am hitting the ball real hard.
I just love the sound and feel. Is almost like hitting a perfect ball with golf. Sounds perfect.

Is the general rubbers considered super sticky?
I notice that my hits has some movement now.

I am really happy with my bat. Thanks for advice.
I can understand why people like become ej so cheap and so fun. I am thinking of buying another bat to compare. But will resist.

PostPosted: 27 May 2017, 06:43 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Glad you like the bat. Not sure about the sound, perhaps it's when you hit the ball above a certain speed? The "General" rubber is definitely what people here call "tacky" (like most Chinese rubbers, while most Japanese and European rubbers are "non-tacky").

Careful with the EJ'ing... :lol: This bat is about as cheap as you can get, but if you really get into it $300 or more for a bat isn't unheard of.. :lol: Check out what one of those Butterfly ZLC blades cost, and the price of a sheet of Tenergy.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 May 2017, 19:02 

Blade: Prasidha Premade CPEN
FH: Globe 999 Commercial
BH: Moon
Tand wrote:
Had to get use to it.
And it felt really weird at first. But getting used to it now.

I love the sound it can give on some hits it. A loud sharpish crack. Totally different then normal hits.
What is this? Am I hitting the sweet spot? Or is it because I am hitting the ball real hard.
I just love the sound and feel. Is almost like hitting a perfect ball with golf. Sounds perfect.

If you're gonna go penhold, be sure to sand the wings of your blade.
Take a look at my bats for example:
The one to the left is a very thin 5 ply that came from a premade. Super light @ 75 grams. Notice I sanded off both wings. This added a little bit more flexibility and allowed me to use the reverse backhand side easily.
The one to the right on the other hand is a 7 ply that I got from another premade. It's rather heavy at 95 grams. I haven't used it yet but it seems solid enough for short pips play. I sanded the wing just enough for my finger not to hurt when I use it.
I got both these blades for about a dollar each.