OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:52

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2016, 20:08 

Heya all!

It's wonderful to see how active the table tennis community here is! As the name of the topic suggests I am in dire need of an advice but first I'll explain my situation. So I have been playing table tennis for a year now (am 27 y.o.), however it has always been more or less recreational, however this being due to the fact that where I live the table tennis scene is not so active. Now whenever I had the chance to play there have always been rackets around or you could rent one, which I usually did. So last week I was invited to join a group of enthusiasts who play once-twice a week (which is a lot given how much I've been playing), they train and sometimes participate in local tournaments. Now in the normal standard you could consider me a beginner, my main source of knowledge being Youtube tutorials and various articles. However I really need to buy a racket as I am joining the mentioned group of players! My goal here is to learn and get way better than I am at the moment.

My play-style: I used to play pen hold but have shifted to shake hand as it is more natural and comfortable to me. I love to drag out games and counter-attack when the opportunity arises. I do blocking, a top-spin serve and starting to learn looping with FH. (my knowledge here is very limited so no hate)

I have been browsing various forums, blogs and websites on how to choose your first racket but the amount of choices and information is quite overwhelming. What I'd like from a racket and what have I picked out from the array of equipment available from where I'm from (notice: the budget is an issue 50-60 Euros).

1. I would like to have a forgiving racket one that would help to learn but when the time comes for a serious match would be suitable. From what I gather I would need an ALL/ALL+ racket, am I correct?

2. These are the choices for rackets available where I live (picked on my limited knowledge on what I need):
a) YASAKA Classic (they make the racket themselves): YASAKA Classic Sweden + Yasaka Original Extra High Grade (2.1 mm) but I think 2.1 mm is too thick?
b) STIGA Classic Optimum MP (2mm)

3. Now I wouldn’t mind assembling the racket myself as it offers more freedom to characterise it.
These are my choices for the blade based on affordability and knowledge (don’t’ know why but I am very fond of the Yasaka brand though):
a) Yasaka Sweden Classic ALL/ALL+;
b) Yasaka Silver 9 Wood;
c) Butterfly ANDRZEJ GRUBBA ALL+
d) CORNILLEAU AERO ALL+
e) Stiga Allround Classic

These are my choices for rubbers also based on affordability:

a) Stiga Mendo Energy (2 mm)
b) Spindlord Adler (1.8-2 mm)
c) Tibhar Learn Spin (1.5-max)
d) Tibhar Norm (1.7 mm)
e) Cornilleau Start-up (1.8 mm)
f) Nittaku Micro (1.8 mm)

I have highlighted the choice I think would be suitable as a combo so correct me if I’m wrong! My top choice would be Yasaka Sweden Classic + Cornilleau Start-up :)

So what I want from you, my table tennis enthusiast, is to comment on my choices as to what racket or combo should I choose? Maybe I am wrong and should just go with a recreational racket such as STIGA, JOOLA, ATEMI, etc. for under 20 Euros?

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2016, 20:52 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
I think your choice of blades is very sound, especially the Yasaka Sweden Classic, go for it. I'm not familiar with many of those rubbers as they are not popular where I am but could recommend Chinese rubbers LKT XP pro or LKT Rapid Sound as they are both quite soft. For a harder Chinese harder rubber just get nearly anything else. Nittaku Magic Carbon is a bit more expensive but another one for your list. 2.0mm would be fine for any of these.

Don't go a premade.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2016, 21:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
Butterfly ANDRZEJ GRUBBA ALL+
I have 3 old style of these-very nice feel.
the stiga allround is decent but i prefer the grubba-
keep your eyes peeled on e bay

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2016, 00:40 

You could start off with a premade paddle and then once you get better move up to a better one. I got these paddles for my club for new players and it is very good for beginners. I played with it myself and it is really great for the price:

http://www.zeropong.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40_104&products_id=177

just realized its out of stock i found one on amazon as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Friendship-Fight ... 729+rubber

I ordered 5 from zeropong when i got them

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2016, 02:27 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Heh... If you do a search you'll find dozens of enquiries like this one - we tend to get maybe three or four a week, more or less. And you'll see my recommendations. I'd suggest you give them a try even if you get one of the more expensive options, given how little you'll spend.

The blade is the important part. There are many, many blades that will work, but I'll recommend two. Considering what they cost, might as well try both... :lol:

The first is the Sanwei M8. Get it here, anywhere else it'll be twice the cost.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SANWEI- ... 84830.html

These are excellent blades, lightweight (about 75 grams), on the slow side of ALL, fantastic touch. It's also available as a combo with rubbers, some of these are really good deals, such as this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Sh ... 26758.html

The other blade is the Yinhe N11.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-sh ... 03493.html

This is a little heavier (80 grams) and faster than the M8. Has an especially crisp flat hit.

The M8 will set you back $8.63 (includes a head case), the N11 $11. This INCLUDES SHIPPING. The fly in the ointment is the two to three week wait.

Rubber. This matters a lot less than the blade, any of the $5 Chinese rubber sheets will work fine, and are as good as sheets costing twice or even four times as much. These would include Batwings, Corbor, 868, Yinhe Mercury II, Yinhe 9000. Often packed two sheets to a packet. I suggest this one at the moment, very good value, moderate weight, plenty of control:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2x-Gala ... 53505.html

$10.31 for two sheets, including shipping.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2016, 03:45 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
Any new or used allround blade would be good for you. Ask your new teamates if they have any.

If you are going to have some regular coaching and want to learn looping game I suggest you to buy any cheap model of (generally not so cheap) tensor rubber with max sponge. Cheap tensor from any brand would be similar forgiving for looping and similarly unforgiving for everything else.

If you need the best performance just now without regular training then any mentioned cheap all-round rubber would be better. I tried several various rubbers each in different sponge thickness and see no reason to buy anything but max sponge. If any given rubber does not work for you change rubber model, changing thickness of the same rubber does not solve any initial problems.

Expensive rubbers of each brand are generally too fast to be any good for beginner. But compare prices between models of the same brand, as there are cheap brands and expensive brands. Expensive brands looks better and often (but not always) are of better quality but for beginner it does not matter and does not pay off.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2016, 07:09 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
I agree the premade above would be fine despite my earlier comments. We sell them at the club. Beware sports store premade.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2016, 10:03 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Not to mention department store premades... :lol: There are a lot of these on Amazon, too - they're major brand - Donic, Tibhar, Stiga - but are lousy. DHS brand ones are OK but expensive (and often counterfeit). Stay away from Double Fish. Yinhe premades are excellent, but you rarely find them other than on AliExpress and you might as well get a M8/Batwings combo for about the same price.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2016, 13:59 

Blade: Galaxya Penhold
FH: Patisuma Top Speed
BH: Desto F1 Plus
I suggest to start off with, get the Nittaku Rising it's a good price. Also for your backhand rubber if you want to learn strokes but not too fast get a 1.8mm sponge it will help with blocking. 2.1mm is more spinny which would be better for the forehand. If you are on a budget a good forehand rubber is the Hurricane 3 Neo or the Skyline TG3 Neo. These rubbers are pretty cheap, oh and by the way it's what the Chinese team uses on their forehand. J.M.S Evo 1 by Stiga is also a good rubber fore beginners and is cheap as well. Make sure to go to Paddle Palace so they can assemble your blade for you, make sure to get one red sheet of rubber and one black sheet of rubber that's ITTF rules. Also make sure when your cart is full select "yes" for Paddle Palace to assemble your blade, assembly is free which is cool. Also check the sponge thickness options for the rubbers they have.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2016, 17:25 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
Do some prerequisite reading, then come back here to read the suggestions.

Reading: North Little Rock Table Tennis Group timeline page on Facebook

Lots of info there

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2016, 20:07 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I know you've already had a lot of input, and by now your head is probably spinning! Let me offer my thoughts, hopefully by way of clarification:

1) You're already on the right track - an allround blade, and sensible, well-made rubbers is what you want
2) You definitely want to avoid a store or brand premade
3) Iskandar's recommendations are great, but have two downsides: a) You need to wait several weeks b) Often new players getting their first premade like a little psychological boost by owning something with an established/famous TT brand behind it - it makes them feel serious and like a real player. If neither of these are issues for you, follow his advice
4) Any of the blades you initially suggested would be good
5) Of the rubbers you mentioned, I only know the first two. I will say that I like Spinlord products very much, and they represent great value for money
6) My personal recommendation would be to get a "premade" from Japsko - an excellent shop in Sweden:

http://www.japsko.se/en/11-rackets

Within your budget are several good options, and they'll come quickly.

Good luck!

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2016, 21:38 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
I agree that premade is waste of money if you plan to regularly play 1 time a week or more, regardless if it is multiball training, competitive or recreational play.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2016, 02:45 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
I guess the term 'premade' here is kind of confusing and we need to differ more between custom- or assembled bats and those premades out of the mall.
Those suggestions above usually point to assembled bats. At Zeropong there are some Gambler-rackets which also seem quite fitting, in the $20-35 range.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2016, 04:31 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Most premades, are off the shelf, assembled bats.
Most of these use a glue that makes removing the rubber almost impossible. It must be scraped off.
This includes most bats sold in stores like Wallmart and many table tennis stores.

There are some premades that are made using proper glue but why take a chance.
Go to a table tennis outlet that will assemble your choice of rubber and blade, or order the blade and rubber and learn to assemble it yourself. It is not hard and if you stick with table tennis you will want to do some EJing sooner or later.

The cost for a properly assembled bat can be less than many premades that claim to be so good. Many premades that cost $80 are junk and the rubbers cannot be changed.

Shops like OOAK, Coles, Zeropong will assemble a quality bat for free. You will be able to change rubbers when you want. Cost can be as little as $30 to $50 for a very good setup. :)

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2016, 08:40 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
To clarify: the "premade" rackets at japsko are properly glued, and are only premade in the sense that the rubber selection and blade selection is already predetermined.

I recommend this because it takes the overthinking out of the endeavour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk