OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 20:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2016, 22:34 

Hi
I have had difficulties with My tibhar revolution rubbers shrinking. So right now I am about to put new rubbers on. I have put glue on the bat and the rubber and now they have been sitting there for three hours. Will waiting this long before cutting the rubbers make sure they do not shrink?
I am using Victory glue by the Way.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016, 01:09 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
evolution*

I think most of my rubber that i reglue after two weeks =/- shrink in a fraction or so.
maybe certain rubbers shrink a lot more than others.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016, 02:30 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I think this is a problem common to all (or most) Tensors. If you take them off the blade after using them for a couple months you'll find they've shrunk. Why? Perhaps they're boosted, er, "tunned" at the factory with "oils" similar to what Chinese players supposedly all use on Hurricane. They're sold in an expanded state, and will shrink if left in the open. If they're left on the blade in 2-3 months or less the "tuned" feeling wears off (as it does with boosted rubber). The rubber has now shrunk, but is prevented from physically doing so because it's attached to the blade. So it's under tension. The wrong type of tension, however, the opposite of the sort of tension we used to put on the rubber when we speed glued and stuck the rubber on the blade while still domed.

Tenergy probably behaves the same way.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016, 04:10 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
iskandar taib wrote:
I think this is a problem common to all (or most) Tensors. If you take them off the blade after using them for a couple months you'll find they've shrunk. Why? Perhaps they're boosted, er, "tunned" at the factory with "oils" similar to what Chinese players supposedly all use on Hurricane. They're sold in an expanded state, and will shrink if left in the open. If they're left on the blade in 2-3 months or less the "tuned" feeling wears off (as it does with boosted rubber). The rubber has now shrunk, but is prevented from physically doing so because it's attached to the blade. So it's under tension. The wrong type of tension, however, the opposite of the sort of tension we used to put on the rubber when we speed glued and stuck the rubber on the blade while still domed.

Tenergy probably behaves the same way.

Iskandar

any way around this beside cutting the larger a bit larger than it is when pasting it together?

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 02:41 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Best way to handle it (in my opinion) is to ignore it.. :lol: Besides, if it's shrunk that means the booster has worn off and.. well, you can always re-boost it. If you don't you'll have a sheet of rubber that only lasts two months or so anyway...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 05:25 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
Victory-glue? That's not VOC-free, or is it? So, you're 'boosting' it already with this glue and therefore it expands. Then, I guess, it's no wonder that it shrunk, but there's a good chance to get it back into size with just glueing it again.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 07:05 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
There's also the possibility that the rubber was stretched ever so slightly by being compressed (with a roller, books, etc) when being applied to the blade. So when it's removed, or if the glue bond weakens, perhaps it reverts to its smaller, unstretched size. Or it could be a combination of this and boosters wearing off.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 11:25 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Red wrote:
Victory-glue? That's not VOC-free, or is it? So, you're 'boosting' it already with this glue and therefore it expands. Then, I guess, it's no wonder that it shrunk, but there's a good chance to get it back into size with just glueing it again.

Not sure what Victory glue is, but unless it's one of those old-fashioned speed glues (Vukoplast, "Bicycle Glue" and the like) it shouldn't be the cause of the problems. We never had problems with Sriver and the like when we used rubber cement and the old Butterfly Chack.

hangdog wrote:
There's also the possibility that the rubber was stretched ever so slightly by being compressed (with a roller, books, etc) when being applied to the blade. So when it's removed, or if the glue bond weakens, perhaps it reverts to its smaller, unstretched size. Or it could be a combination of this and boosters wearing off.

It shrinks a lot. My Rasant shrunk maybe 1/8" (3mm) around the edges. I never noticed the first time because I only took it off to Seamoon it after a couple months and it expanded before I stuck it back on. The second time, though....

Iskandar

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 20:57 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
The classic Victory-glue is definitely not VOC-free, it's a rubber-cement glue which is more smelly than a chemistry-lab, and it's been one of my favourites long before all those speed-glues came up - albeit I never used speed-glueing. Iirc it's a Czech product. It does remind one of those bicycle rubber-glues, indeed.

There's been some Stiga Victory glue also but it's not VOC-free as well, it was thicker and more adhesive than the then-standard Stiga speed-glue. I haven't used that one because it may just be a relabeled 'original' Victory glue at a higher price...

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2016, 01:37 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I don't think the presence of some VOCs in a rubber cement would cause this problem. To get the sponge to expand back in the speed glue days you'd have to put on a LOT of VOCs (in the form of a BIG puddle of very thin glue). This would cause the sponge to expand and dome and you'd attach the sheet to the blade in this state (none of this waiting for the dome to subside business). And then, if necessary, you'd trim the edge of the rubber (if it was a new sheet, you'd be trimming maybe 3-4mm off the edge). Two or three hours later, when you were done with playing, you'd pull the rubber off the blade so it wouldn't shrink while attached (which people said would shorten the life of the rubber - not that it was very long in those days if you were speed-gluing) and it would, of course, shrink so that it was 3-4mm smaller than the blade. Speed glue it again and it'd expand again.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2016, 05:11 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Evolution....well mxp anyway which I use....reeks of booster out of the packet. So this booster will have expanded it, and when it wears off..........

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

185g

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 22:52 
Super User

Blade: Donic Waldner WC 89 FL
FH: Donic BlueStar A2 Red Max
BH: DMS Firestorm Black 1.8
My Donic Bluefire M2, Yasaka Rakza X, and Andro Rasant Grip all did the same, I think it goes with the territory (so did Butterfly Tenergy 05). Could be my gluing technique, which does involve the light use of a roller. Didn't have this problem with other sheets like Galaxy Moon Pro, at least at first, but, I do notice that old sheets stored for a while do shrink eventually. My sheets of Galaxy Sun (softer 34 degree sponge) are hard to glue, lots of dome on these, and they did require a bit of pressure to apply and then some books (or something heavy) to keep the sheets from peeling off of the blade.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 23:29 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
1dennistt wrote:
My Donic Bluefire M2, Yasaka Rakza X, and Andro Rasant Grip all did the same, I think it goes with the territory (so did Butterfly Tenergy 05). Could be my gluing technique, which does involve the light use of a roller. Didn't have this problem with other sheets like Galaxy Moon Pro, at least at first, but, I do notice that old sheets stored for a while do shrink eventually. My sheets of Galaxy Sun (softer 34 degree sponge) are hard to glue, lots of dome on these, and they did require a bit of pressure to apply and then some books (or something heavy) to keep the sheets from peeling off of the blade.

I used to have problems becos I was pressing down very hard on the blade with my off-hand while cutting the rubbers. This caused rubbers to stretch more than normal which shrank back about 1mm :P Doesn't matter what glue if you press down too much when cutting the rubbers. Pressure only on the back of the Box-cutter and using soapy water dip to cut smooth.

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2017, 01:44 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

As we were saying earlier - the shrinkage (the one we're talking about, anyway) doesn't happen immediately, it happens after two or three months, and you only really notice if you take the rubber off the blade (otherwise the glue under the rubber serves to hold it to the blade and keep it stretched - possibly making these rubbers feel additionally dead). It's the boosters applied at the factory wearing off, and nothing to do with how people apply the rubbers.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017, 10:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
As we were saying earlier - the shrinkage (the one we're talking about, anyway) doesn't happen immediately, it happens after two or three months, and you only really notice if you take the rubber off the blade (otherwise the glue under the rubber serves to hold it to the blade and keep it stretched - possibly making these rubbers feel additionally dead). It's the boosters applied at the factory wearing off, and nothing to do with how people apply the rubbers.

Iskandar

With MX-P it happens in days, indeed almost overnight. I don't put any pressure gluing down rubbers, ever. This happens if I use Butterfly Free Chack II, Finezip, Paddle Palace glue or any other WBG. If I remove the rubber and try to reglue it, it will have shrunk. However, it does not shrink as long as I keep it attached to the blade. In marked contrast, this does not happen to me with Tenergy.

As for Victory glue, definitely it is old-fashioned speed glue, albeit a mild form.

I have seen this not just with one sheet of MX-P. I have noticed it with every single sheet I have ever had. It is not a subtle effect.

It could be that using a VOC glue makes it worse. I am not sure.