OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
Live Table Tennis Videos Table Tennis News Live OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 21 Jan 2017, 07:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017, 06:04 

This is hopefully more interesting than the normal “what should my first bat be” question.

I want to buy a surprise gift for a friend who wants to get somewhat serious about TT. She is an accomplished and competitive tennis player and so understands many fundamentals including footwork. With a very cheap TT premade bat she can backhand chop with a good amount of skill for being a beginner.

I want to help her lean, first, topspin for her forehand, then a flick BH, then a nice ball-lifting-against-backspin, topspin BH.

Yet, naturally, I want her to advance her BH defensive chop.

I’ve read 24 of the 27 pages of the discussion of what to avoid and hopefully remember most of it, and I’m intrigued by the seeming change in theory regarding rubber thickness, with 2.0 and Max being more often considered appropriate for beginners. The new ball also seems to have potential to alter suggested rubbers, though I suspect to such a small extent for beginners that it’s irrelevant.

I was thinking of ordering from Cole an Air Matrix bat with Illumina 1.7 in 35 for BH, and Illumina 1.7 in 41 for FH. Unfortunately, he is out of red 1.7. I really don’t want to put the same rubber on both sides, preferring to go softer on BH. I could just jump both sides to 1.9 and go 35 on BH and 41 on FH, and given the aforementioned thread and the increasing acceptance of thicker rubbers, perhaps that is the way to go. Further, I’m thinking the increased thickness (from 1.7 to 1.9) may give ever-so-slightly greater facility to learn a good ball-sinking-into-rubber loop.

I could also do an entirely different BH rubber, and perhaps there is something better for advancing her BH chop AND learning the various topspins for her BH.

One more issue, and this is sort of a funny personal one. I’d previously suggested to her husband to use Cole to buy a nice bat for himself (he is also an accomplished competitive tennis player and a superlative athlete). But he bought a cheap premade from someplace… So, I sort of what this bat for his wife to be such a significant help to her game that he :envy: his decision. :rock:

My first choice is to source from Cole, but my greater goal is to get what will work best for her.

Thoughts?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 05:18 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

DAWEI 2008XP Superpower is a fine do-it-al rubber, and the cheapest you can find at Coles. Only downside is that it's a bit heavy, which can be off-putting for people new to table tennis. No biggie, there are other cheap rubbers that are also light.

1.8 2008XP on both sides would work just fine. It's a solid step up from any premade you can buy, and by getting 2008XP over Illumina you can save yourself a couple trips to Chipotle as well.

The most important thing is practice. The more I play, the more I realize that it's not the rubber that makes the shot.

Good luck to you and your friend :)

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!