OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017, 05:41 

Hi everyone,

I would like to make my first custom bat so after six years of playing with pre-made bats I am looking for an optimal blade and rubbers.
Although this will be an exciting and important move relative to my improvement I want to choose the best possible equipment from the available brands and types (my options are limited because there isn't many products in the country).
I have been playing for six, almost seven years now and usually play 12-16 hours every week. I play it as a hobby, however, I participate in some local tournaments so, besides every deficiency, I think I have a solid playing style with steady and accurate (as a nonprofessional) looping both on the forehand and backhand side (of course still miles even from professional level) and above average block (better on the backhand) and serve. I try to take every opportunity to attack or counter-attack (looping and not smashing or flat hitting) and be as aggressive and quick as I can. Usually I am the first who launch the attack so my biggest weakness isn't speed or spin but control. For me, speed and spin are almost equally important but I would rate spin just a tenth higher.
If you don't mind I have three questions: a) I should buy different rubbers on the backhand and forehand side, right?; b) How long should the rubbers and the blade last?; c) Should I buy different rubbers over time or buy the same again and again?
And the big debate...
What should I choose? I am asking you, experienced players, who have been playing with custom bats for a long time and tried many different products.
I tried to narrow the options by some stats and reviews. I don't have the chance to test any of products so I appreciate any help and advice. These are the rubbers from which I should choose two (forehand and backhand side):
- Joola Rhyzm-P
- Joola Maxxx-P
- Joola Maxxx 500
- Donic Baracuda
- Tibhar Evolution MX-P
- Tibhar Evolution MX-S
- Yasaka Mark V HPS
- Yasaka Rakza 9
- Yasaka Rakza 7
- Victas VS>402 Double Extra
- Victas V>01 Stiff
- Victas V>01 Limber
- Victas V>15 Extra
- Cornilleau TargetUltim 47.5
- Cornilleau Target Sound 37.5

And these are the possible options for the blade:
- TSP Trinity Carbon
- TSP Reflex 50 Award OFF
- TSP Black Balsa 7.0
- TSP Balsa 6.5 mm OFF/Fitter
- Tibhar Stratus Power Wood
- Tibhar Samsonov Carbon SGS
- Joola Falcon Fast +
- Joola Flame Extreme
- Joola Spirit All+
- Yasaka Advance 3D
- Yasaka Extra Offensive 7 Power
- Yasaka Goiabao 5
- Yasaka Silverline All Wood
- Yasaka Silverline Carbon
- Yasaka Sweden Extra

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017, 09:48 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
I won't call your list a 'narrowing down' since there are big differences within almost every aspect with the selection.
May I ask for the parameters you'd set to get these rubbers and blades?

If I had to choose for you based on this selection I'd say Joola Spirit All, Donic Barracuda and Yasaka Rakza 7. Then you should check in training sessions which one of these does the better job on FH or BH.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017, 10:10 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Enthusiastic1 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I would like to make my first custom bat so after six years of playing with pre-made bats I am looking for an optimal blade and rubbers.

Stop right here - there is no such thing as 'optimal' blade and rubber. There is however something called 'good enough'. Your list is pretty long, but I see a couple of popular blade choices: Yasaka Extra Sweden, Tibhar Stratus Power Wood (to be honest, anything ALL+ or close should work). Probably any rubber on your list would work too.

Any combo would be a decent step up from a premade - don't overthink it but don't go too extreme either.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017, 12:40 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I'd go for the "Goaiabao" blade, because it sounds very interesting.

:lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017, 13:13 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
pgpg wrote:
Your list is pretty long, but I see a couple of popular blade choices: Yasaka Extra Sweden, Tibhar Stratus Power Wood (to be honest, anything ALL+ or close should work). Probably any rubber on your list would work too.

Any combo would be a decent step up from a premade - don't overthink it but don't go too extreme either.

I'd agree that the above blades would be the pick.

I'd assume that your pre-made doesn't have tensor rubbers so any tensor is likely to be a step up. Given that list you might consider something that is not at the top end of the speed scale and isn't too bouncy.

I've used Tibhar MX-P and found it bouncy and hard to control so suggest stay away from that at first. I've also used Baracuda and Victas V01 Limber and think both would be fine. I've had both mine in 2.0mm so that might also be a consideration, to go a bit thinner than max.

Aside from that, could you maybe just go with standard Mark V and maybe upgrade later. A rule of thumb I've heard is that a rubber is good for about 50 uses ie if use once a week, replace once a year. I personally think this is a bit short and 18mths to 2 years of using once or twice a week is reasonable. Sometimes its just nice to get a new rubber so I often just see out a year then get a new one. Mine are staggered too so every six months I try a new one. What I'm saying is don't feel like you need to get the perfect rubber straight off. If in doubt start a bit slower then in a years time you can upgrade.