OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 13:47

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Ball Catcher Options
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2020, 05:28 

Hello everyone! My first post here.

I recently got into the game with a joola nova dx outdoor table and the following ball catcher from amazon. After about a week of use outdoors, i notice that the ball catcher half of the table has warped in the middle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071Y ... UTF8&psc=1

Is this happening because of this type of ball catcher that is attached to the half of the table and putting constant pressure on 4 corners? Or is there another reason?

If it's because of this type of ball catcher, what other alternatives are there? I saw this one from paddle palace but I haven't bought anything outside of amazon and not sure what other providers are there.

https://www.paddlepalace.com/Paddle-Pal ... 3YQAvD_BwE

Any ideas would be great help, as this ball catcher has in invaluable in training with a robot!

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Ball Catcher Options
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2020, 16:34 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Goodness gracious - it must've been a flimsy table. A proper table wouldn't warp from something like that - at clubs they use robots, robots and their catch nets often attach to the table and are far heavier.

As for alternatives - maybe you could make a stand for your net that's separate from the table. Use PVC water pipe or electrical conduit, perhaps.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2020, 04:09 

Thanks. Do these tables by Joola have a tendency to warp? It's certainly not a cheap table.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2021, 13:25 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Joola sells a lot of different tables. Some are very sturdy indeed, some are quite flimsy. I wasn't familiar with this one, so I went looking:

https://www.amazon.com/JOOLA-Tournament ... B07D2S7558

It costs a little under USD900, so yeah, it's not cheap. It does look more spindly than Joola's top of the line indoor tables, but at first glance it doesn't look terribly flimsy, either. It is apparently metal, can't tell how thick the top is (the thicker the better). At least it doesn't have the sign of a bad quality rec-room table (a bat and/or ball holder). It doesn't look like a competition grade table, but us table tennis players tend to be snobs when it comes to tables... :lol:

Yeah, I am surprised it would warp with a catch net attached. You'd think a metal table would have less of a tendency to warp compared with a wood table, but I suppose it would depend on how thick the top is. It says the assembled weight is 166 pounds, this does sound light.

Iskandar