OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 04:14 

Blade: Waldner carbon S
FH: Sonex jp gold
BH: Acuda s2
Hello all i am new to the forum. I need an advice as many of you i just got back to playing again and not sure what to put on the blade. I have used to play 3-4 times a week on competitive level in the past and played with Butterfly OFF- blade with srivers or bryce on it however that was a good few years ago. I am using Donic Waldner Carbon Senso with Donic Sonex jp Gold on Forehand 2.0 thickness and acuda s2 2.0 om beckhand however....i do not feel comfortable with set up at all, i mean still play decent with it but must try hard. I tend to play mid distance and long distance sometimes and closer to the table when i have to. Need a perfect blocking rubber on beckhand. Love playing spinny top spins both sides however beckhand lacks precision and power sometimes. Sonex seems too hard and acuda a bit too soft but then i have not played for a while so my feelings may not be as accurate...can anyone help please?

what i can add to thr above is sonex seems to lack power from distance and ball comes off the rubber at very low angle and acuda is exactly opposite, i like the rubber but when returning fast balls i struggle to keep ball on the table. Blade also is a bit uncomfortable because handle seems to slip off hand, i used to play with flared this one is anatomic.

I will buy rubbers anyway as there is no much life left on those, not sure about bat.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 08:23 
I am Legend
I am Legend

so... how do you feel about the rubbers if you flip the bat around?

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 08:39 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
I came back after a 50 year hiatus. It took me a while to find something that I felt comfortable with, as I tried to find that perfect fit that I used to feel with my old bat, which had early Butterfly pips out rubber.

That being said, you could still use something like a Butterfly Primorac (Off-) with Sriver and/or Bryce today. Or with Yasaka MkV, which is also still a very playable rubber. You would probably find that either would be very familiar.

Alternatively, you could try something slower on your Donic blade. Maybe some 729 Super or other cheap Chinese rubber, just to see if that would point you in the right direction. These are cheap enough that you wouldn't take too big a financial hit just to try a couple. Iskandar Taib has a thread on here about training rubber viewtopic.php?f=44&t=25211. Just don't get too carried away. There are loads of options, it is easy to get confused. I would look for something that was cheap and slow, to get a distinct contrast with the setup you have now and are finding problematical. Try changing one rubber at a time, to minimise variables.

Frankly, although I have spent quite a lot of money and effort on equipment, I would probably have been happy with a Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive/Primorac/Avalox P500 and some middle range Chinese rubber or MkV.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 10:20 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

50 years... So you were last active in the 1960s???? Wow... That's the longest hiatus I've ever heard of. Yeah, pips out was more common back then, I think - many table tennis books from that era assumed pips out use. Don't know when Butterfly released Sriver but there was a time when there were TWO Butterfly rubbers - D13 (pips in) and C4 (pips out). No Sriver, no Tempest... Modern sandwich rubbers were first defined in the rules in 1959. Before that you could use anything you wanted - bare sponge, bare wood - but the most "orthodox" was hard rubber (pips out no sponge).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 11:45 

Silver, i know it seems like fliping the bat around is obvious solution however then with acuda on forehand ball flies off the table most of times especially on counter topspins whereas my beckhand relies more on spin/loops than speed and sonex dont seem the right rubber for that however blocking is not bad tho..if that makes sense :|

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 14:44 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Nah, wasn't looking for a solution, but I was really looking for what you thought when you used a different rubber (softer/harder/lower throw/higher throw) for each side. For example, you said the Acuda lacked precision and power on the bh - what about the JP on the backhand? Same?

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 16:23 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I use a Primorac OFF-, and Sriver Max on my FH. It's predictable, controllable, has great feedback, is very linear (you get out what you put in), and isn't terrifyingly fast, so I play a full shot without worrying about the ball zooming off, which is important as you building solid technique.

I'm sure there are newer rubbers that are theoretically better suited to two generations of new ball, and a lack of speed glue, but having seen the standard of many of the strong veterans I interact with, using unglued, unboosted, Sriver L on an allround blade, I'm pretty sure that if you want something to get started with, that's great quality, and will give you confidence, it's a very safe bet.

I used the blade you currently have after I lost my first Primorac. It's a superb blade, but it's pretty quick, in my opinion. Sriver on that blade wouldn't feel too slow, I suspect. However a newer breed of modern rubber (Stiga Mantra, Nexy Karis, TSP Regalis) might be a bit quick.

My brother uses my old DWCS and uses TSP Triple Spin Chop 1.3 on both sides. He finds it beautifully controlled, with oodles of spin, and plenty of poke.

Where are you based, and where do you play?

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 18:40 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
LordCope wrote:
My brother uses my old DWCS and uses TSP Triple Spin Chop 1.3 on both sides. He finds it beautifully controlled, with oodles of spin, and plenty of poke.

I have a DWCS but never thought about pairing it with thin rubbers like that.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 18:59 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Works really well for him. His attacks tend to be flat hits, he has some good short serves, and otherwise he pushes and blocks.

I had a go on his setup and was surprised by how nice it felt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 22:44 

Silver wrote:
Nah, wasn't looking for a solution, but I was really looking for what you thought when you used a different rubber (softer/harder/lower throw/higher throw) for each side. For example, you said the Acuda lacked precision and power on the bh - what about the JP on the backhand? Same?

JP on BH is more powerfull but lacks control, blocking is more diificult. I am looking for a lot of control and good speed on Bh. I am less worried about forehand as my technique is much better but still need advice on rubber with good speed and fair spin for mid distance game also. Thought about Bluefire JP 01 for FH and Acuda Blue P2 for BH but if its throwing angle is anywhere close to acuda s2 then i would not be bothered..