OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 13:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2017, 09:38 

Blade: Stiga Allround CL
FH: Mark V GPS
BH: Stiga Chop and Drive
Hi all!

Right now, I am looking for a frame that I can use best for my style.

At the moment I use:

Frame: Stiga Allround Classic
Rubbers: Stiga Chop and Drive BH
Mark V GPS FH

What I dislike about the current frame:

The wood of the handle cutting in my hand a bit. It has a flared handle, and I notice I dislike that. Would it better then to go for a straight handle?
The frame is too fast for me. I have a hard time to keep topspin balls on the table after I use them myself, or block them.

My style of play:

Mostly pushing controlled, placing on table. Looping on FH.
NO chopping at all. Maybe ocassional panic chop.
Controlling defensive, sometimes offensive.

I took a look at the Dr. Neubauer Barricade. It looks like maybe it can be the blade for me? Or is this more for chopping? Thanks!

The rubbers I want to use on the frame are:

Either SpinLord Marder 1, 1.0mm, or SpinLord Sandwind 1.5mm for the BH.
And perhaps Gambler Reflectoid 2.0mm on FH. I will get this to test, so it is the rubber that I have.

If you have other advice or recommendation for rubbers and / or frame, be my guest!

Thanks!

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2017, 12:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Although the forehand rubber may be a little fast, the blade and backhand rubbers seems like an excellent choice for a more control type setup.
You haven't really mentioned your level and experience.

The sharp edges can easily be filed down, just use some fine sandpaper and gently sand down the edge till it feels more comfortable. The sharp edges are probably above the handle aren't they?, so a ST might not help much.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2017, 16:20 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Qwantio wrote:
What I dislike about the current frame:

The wood of the handle cutting in my hand a bit. It has a flared handle, and I notice I dislike that. Would it better then to go for a straight handle?
The frame is too fast for me. I have a hard time to keep topspin balls on the table after I use them myself, or block them.

The "cutting into the hand" problem can be fixed with some sandpaper.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=31031#p333792

Most people who sand handles are penhold players but there's no reason shakehands players can't as well. If you DO want a straight handle, the same blade (and most Euro blades) is available with one. You can also alter the grip with tape.

The Allround Classic is a fairly slow blade, maybe it's a matter of more practice? Anything slower would be a chopping blade. Those rubbers aren't particularly fast, either.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2017, 20:06 

I will try to sand down the blade, then! Thanks. :) I just got a free Reflectoid 2.0mm forehand rubber to try. It is a little slower than the GPS. I will just use that on the blade that I already have.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2017, 20:22 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

The sandpaper fix suggested above will help if your problem is the sharp edges of the blade toward the area between thumb and index/middle finger. If you have the same problem I have with flared handles, sanding down is not a solution.

When I use a racket with flared handle, I develop a "tender spot" on the outer edge of my hand (the "pinkie edge"), the fleshy part of the palm where the wide end of the handle rests. Makes no difference whether my grip is loose or tight. After playing for a few hours, it becomes a constant pain, lasting for the rest of the day or so. What I need is a straight, not too slim handle. Some "anatomic" handles are also OK.

With a 2 mm Reflectoid on FH your setup should have a suitable speed for the style you describe. If your handle issue is the same that I have, with a bit of luck it may be fixed with thick grip tape. A couple of turns around the narrow part of the handle, and you get a straight or slightly conical (possibly even anatomic) grip. I'd try that before looking for a new blade. Grip tape should be available from any sports shop.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2017, 21:30 

keme wrote:
The sandpaper fix suggested above will help if your problem is the sharp edges of the blade toward the area between thumb and index/middle finger. If you have the same problem I have with flared handles, sanding down is not a solution.

When I use a racket with flared handle, I develop a "tender spot" on the outer edge of my hand (the "pinkie edge"), the fleshy part of the palm where the wide end of the handle rests. Makes no difference whether my grip is loose or tight. After playing for a few hours, it becomes a constant pain, lasting for the rest of the day or so. What I need is a straight, not too slim handle. Some "anatomic" handles are also OK.

With a 2 mm Reflectoid on FH your setup should have a suitable speed for the style you describe. If your handle issue is the same that I have, with a bit of luck it may be fixed with thick grip tape. A couple of turns around the narrow part of the handle, and you get a straight or slightly conical (possibly even anatomic) grip. I'd try that before looking for a new blade. Grip tape should be available from any sports shop.

Hi! Thanks!
I think I will just get another Stiga Classic with a straight handle. Then I have more ways to try the rubbers I get, since I will get two different Backhand rubbers. Thanks for your advice!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!