OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Paddle suggestions
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017, 00:37 

I've played a lot (3-4 hours/day 4-5 days/week) for several years when I was a teenager but didn't go to any competitions. I'm in the mid 40s now and recently got a group of friends that like TT and started to play again. I was surprised to see that some of the serves, BH and FH came back to me with no effort and I'm one of the best ones in the bunch. We're all pretty competitive and so far I played with pre-mades that came with the Stiga tables my friends have but would like to get a couple of custom paddles on the cheap side (under $30 per paddle including rubber). I was thinking to get two different brands of paddles / rubbers so I can figure out what works best for me. I'm mostly offensive and put a good amount of spin to the ball. I'm open to buying from aliexpress or ebay as long as I can get them in the US in less than a month. Because I have never glued rubber on paddles before, I would prefer to get some that come with the rubber already on and later on learn how change the rubber myself and experiment with other types of rubber.

Post subject: Re: Paddle suggestions
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017, 01:07 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
You are a candidate to check out colestt.com he send priority mail usps for 5 bucks.

You could also get a dark side lp setup from OOAK, my first one was well under 60 bucks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017, 01:13 

I looked at colestt.com but was overwhelmed with the number of options. Since I don't know any of the brands, I have no idea what to order. It looks like OOAK is based in Australia, shipping would probably take longer than even from China.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017, 02:19 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
If you were overwhelmed by ColesTT (Which is as simple as it gets) then you will be overwhelmed by any TT store. Coles is simple...dirt simple.

I would offer advice on buying from aliexpress or eacheng, but your requirement of getting it under a month throws those out the window, as you can never guarantee that the seller won't be slow, or that US customs won't hold the package randomly.

That being said....
Coles and/or Zeropong are the way to go. https://www.zeropong.com/

A great starting point is the premade buster combo on Coles. It's actually not a premade, but rather a custom racket with some decent rubbers. You can use this from beginner to advanced. If you are using stiga premades, this will be a step up for sure.

Both owners of Zeropong and ColesTT are awesome and will give you advice on a setup, just email or call.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017, 02:52 

I'll take the chance with ali or ebay, worst case scenario, I'll buy one more from coles or zeropong.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017, 03:09 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
Write to Cole. Explain your game, and what you need. He will set you up. I did the same many years ago. He is a great guy.

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017, 12:19 

Really appreciate all your help. I just ordered the premade buster combo from colestt but I still want to get one or two more paddles from aliexpress for my wife and as a backup. Based on previous threads here I am looking at Sanwei M8, Yinhe N-9s, Yinhe N-11s, Yinhe T-11, LKT Instinct+. Any other ones I should be looking at? What kind of rubber should I pair with these? Any good stores on aliexpress you guys usually buy from?

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017, 15:11 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Preglued combo?? I'd suggest this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Sh ... 20589.html

M8 with Batwings.

Ask for the 2.2mm sponge.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017, 16:49 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
I second Iskandar's choice. Very decent enough set up. You can buy this bat which is pre-glued which is different to pre-made. A premade bat usually uses permanent glue and cheaper less quality equipment and are throw items. They generally cost a lot more than a custom of the same quality. In fact many times you can't buy a custom bad with as low a quality but can get one a lot cheaper. You would generally never be able to find the bats or rubbers for purchase on their own.

Pre-glued simply means you can purchase the rubbers and bat separate if you wish and glue them on however some shops just offer a package that they are already done for you. These are usually pretty good set ups for beginners to intermediate players and often a lot less than what we call a pre-made bat.

The only thing is I'm not sure if they glue they use is permanent or if you can later on easily peel off the rubbers and put new ones on. Then again the bats are usually that cheap that buying new rubbers doesn't cost any less.

Note that despite having lots and lots of options they will all play very similar to each other so I'd just be getting Iskandar's suggestion and know you have a very good bat, far exceeding what you could get at a sports store or department store.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2017, 22:23 

The combo I got from colestt is pre-glued even though the website says premade, Ely Cole is making them. The paddle is going to be delivered today and I'm looking forward to play with it. Also ordered the Sanwei M8 with the 729 batman rubber as Iskandar suggested. Any suggestions for a 3rd paddle?

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2017, 22:38 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Get something totally different. Can anyone suggest a good, cheap long pips combo bat? :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 01:12 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
Just recently one of the new ooak-members ordered a Sword 309 with CJ8000 and Galaxy Neptune. That's a somewhat different low-cost setup compared to the M8-Batwings-combo.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 02:39 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Argh.... I was thinking of getting one myself but it looks like Eacheng's out of them.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sword-3 ... 59817.html

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 03:54 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

If you are prepared to put some effort into learning what you can and cannot do with long pips, such a combo may be worth considering as the third bat. If you are still targeting loaner/spouse, I'd suggest a more conservative setup. It is easier to learn how to play consistently with inverted/short pips than with long pips.

Perhaps...
This one with 2xshort pips
or
This one with soft inverted rubbers, one slightly tackier side.

(A bit more expensive than what you mentioned, but not far off. Something noticeably different, but still manageable.)

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 05:03 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
waves wrote:
The combo I got from colestt is pre-glued even though the website says premade, Ely Cole is making them. The paddle is going to be delivered today and I'm looking forward to play with it. Also ordered the Sanwei M8 with the 729 batman rubber as Iskandar suggested. Any suggestions for a 3rd paddle?

'Premade buster' actually does not mean that it is a 'premade' - it refers to an inexpensive custom setup that is much better than a lot of premades, thus 'busting them' in the value department. Just wanted to clarify this.