OOAK Table Tennis Forum


A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
Live Table Tennis Videos Table Tennis News Live OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 18:25


Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 01:00 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 23 May 2017, 00:56
Posts: 6
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 time
Hey all,

Summary:

- I'm a 900-1000 level player that thinks they could easily improve to 1200 with a good setup
- Currently using Dawei Matrix with Stiga Innovo (hard to loop, small sweet spot, pretty fast and tough for me to control)
- Played fairly well with a DHS Hurricane King with Tenergy 05 because of better feel, larger sweet spot, much more spin (but it is a few hundred dollars out of my budget)
- My budget is around $150

At my club, people think I am one of the top players when watching me practice. In matches, I fare the same against 1500 players as I do with 800 players sometimes. My control sucks, I am inconsistent when dealing with sidespin and sometimes underspin (tough time reading spin and perhaps my setup is very sensitive to it)

I thought switching to a slightly slower setup (but still moderately fast, since my form is good and I am an offensive player on both backhand and offense) with much better control would do me good. Here is what I have considered:

- Blades: Ma Lin Extra Offensive, Xiom Offensive S, Yasaka Sweden Extra
- Rubbers: Andro Rasant Powersponge, Vega Europe, Vega Europe DF, Vega Pro, Rakza 7, Rakza 7 Soft

I think I prefer slightly soft rubbers/tensor rubbers over really hard sticky rubbers (I haven't liked the chinese rubbers I've tried out much), but I am willing to try anything that will give me better control. I also am not a huge fan of really light blades (I didn't like Joola Carbon when I tried it out)

TL;DR Can anyone recommend a good setup for an offensive player that likes to block/counterhit/attack that can help me work on my control and is somewhat forgiving when dealing with spin? I liked the blades and rubbers I specified above, but I am not sure what a good combo would be for my forehand/backhand


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 01:07 
Offline
Goes to 11
Goes to 11
User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2014, 20:27
Posts: 6004
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 708 times
This is USATT ratings? Get the Ma Lin blade and the Rasant Powersponge without a doubt. Lots of 1200 players use those.

:lol:

Iskandar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 01:10 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 22 Dec 2016, 16:35
Posts: 296
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 54 times
Blade: TSP Versal CP
FH: Yasaka Shining Dragon
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon
Disclaimer: I am a beginner level player so all this is from my perspective :-) and I can tell you, if you have excellent control when using Tenergy rubbers then you are definitely not a beginner level player :lol:

Also Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive with Vega Euro rubbers or Rakza7 rubbers sounds like a good practice and match setup for you.

And match exposure is the only way to fix match performance. Pump your heart-rate up and your fear to anxiety levels during practice sessions and try to break free of the paralysis that comes with it. I find that is the only way to develop a proper match temperament to deal with poor strategy, poor form, poor performance in match situations.

My beginner level problem is consistency of strokes. If I laser focus then it works, but I can't maintain that level of focus for too long or when I am tired.

I've started practicing very high-energy match practice against the juniors by egging them and cajoling them to play better against me. Its tough as nails and I go through 3 or 4 shirts :-P And my body literally begs for water and timeout breaks. But I gotta stick to this regimen otherwise I won't develop the focus I need :headbang: :lol:

I can share my reasoning for going for MaLin YEO with Vega Euro or Rakza7.

Yasaka Sweden Extra is a very slow all-round blade. You can't really power a ball through spin with an All-Round blade in my opinion.

Vega series rubbers are one of the softest in the Xiom which has excellent spin + control and very good speed. Vega Euro is the softer version that has a lower throw-angle compared to say Vega Japan. And I think the Vega Pro is the higher end version. Vega Asia is supposed to be a Chinese style tacky rubber ? I hope someone can confirm all that.

I have personally progressed from Rakza7 Soft ---> Rakza7 ---> Rakza9 ---> Yasaka Rising Dragon. I am no match for the actual upgrade to Rakza9 and RakzaX ( ten) which is the natural progression of a player sticking with Yasaka Rakza series rubbers :-) And Yasaka has Top-Notch Quality Control ! You really can't go wrong with Rakza rubbers !!! :clap:

Vega series and Rakza series have one of the softer sponges and top-sheets coupled with excellent control+spin+speed.

I hope this helps :-)

Disclaimer: I am a beginner level player so all this is from my perspective :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 02:47 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 23 May 2017, 00:56
Posts: 6
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 time
iskandar taib wrote:
This is USATT ratings? Get the Ma Lin blade and the Rasant Powersponge without a doubt. Lots of 1200 players use those.

:lol:

Iskandar


Yes, USATT rating (sorry). Is that sarcasm or do you really recommend that setup? (I wasn't sure!)

man_iii wrote:
Disclaimer: I am a beginner level player so all this is from my perspective :-) and I can tell you, if you have excellent control when using Tenergy rubbers then you are definitely not a beginner level player :lol:

Also Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive with Vega Euro rubbers or Rakza7 rubbers sounds like a good practice and match setup for you.

And match exposure is the only way to fix match performance. Pump your heart-rate up and your fear to anxiety levels during practice sessions and try to break free of the paralysis that comes with it. I find that is the only way to develop a proper match temperament to deal with poor strategy, poor form, poor performance in match situations.

My beginner level problem is consistency of strokes. If I laser focus then it works, but I can't maintain that level of focus for too long or when I am tired.

I've started practicing very high-energy match practice against the juniors by egging them and cajoling them to play better against me. Its tough as nails and I go through 3 or 4 shirts :-P And my body literally begs for water and timeout breaks. But I gotta stick to this regimen otherwise I won't develop the focus I need :headbang: :lol:

I can share my reasoning for going for MaLin YEO with Vega Euro or Rakza7.

Yasaka Sweden Extra is a very slow all-round blade. You can't really power a ball through spin with an All-Round blade in my opinion.

Vega series rubbers are one of the softest in the Xiom which has excellent spin + control and very good speed. Vega Euro is the softer version that has a lower throw-angle compared to say Vega Japan. And I think the Vega Pro is the higher end version. Vega Asia is supposed to be a Chinese style tacky rubber ? I hope someone can confirm all that.

I have personally progressed from Rakza7 Soft ---> Rakza7 ---> Rakza9 ---> Yasaka Rising Dragon. I am no match for the actual upgrade to Rakza9 and RakzaX ( ten) which is the natural progression of a player sticking with Yasaka Rakza series rubbers :-) And Yasaka has Top-Notch Quality Control ! You really can't go wrong with Rakza rubbers !!! :clap:

Vega series and Rakza series have one of the softer sponges and top-sheets coupled with excellent control+spin+speed.

I hope this helps :-)

Disclaimer: I am a beginner level player so all this is from my perspective :-)


Thanks! I was considering either Xiom Vega Europe or Xiom Vega Europe DF (wasn't really sure which) or Razka 7. Razka 7 isn't an especially slow rubber in comparison, is it? I want to go with whichever has the better control, given they aren't too different in terms of speed (or as the above post recommend, the Andro Rasant Powersponge)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 03:21 
Offline
Super User
User avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2013, 00:48
Posts: 972
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 275 times
Been thanked: 199 times
Blade: VKM ST
FH: VS>401
BH: Air UpUpUp 1mm
lanuk wrote:
Hey all,

Summary:

- I'm a 900-1000 level player that thinks they could easily improve to 1200 with a good setup
- Currently using Dawei Matrix with Stiga Innovo (hard to loop, small sweet spot, pretty fast and tough for me to control)
- Played fairly well with a DHS Hurricane King with Tenergy 05 because of better feel, larger sweet spot, much more spin (but it is a few hundred dollars out of my budget)
- My budget is around $150

At my club, people think I am one of the top players when watching me practice. In matches, I fare the same against 1500 players as I do with 800 players sometimes. My control sucks, I am inconsistent when dealing with sidespin and sometimes underspin (tough time reading spin and perhaps my setup is very sensitive to it)

I thought switching to a slightly slower setup (but still moderately fast, since my form is good and I am an offensive player on both backhand and offense) with much better control would do me good. Here is what I have considered:

- Blades: Ma Lin Extra Offensive, Xiom Offensive S, Yasaka Sweden Extra
- Rubbers: Andro Rasant Powersponge, Vega Europe, Vega Europe DF, Vega Pro, Rakza 7, Rakza 7 Soft

I think I prefer slightly soft rubbers/tensor rubbers over really hard sticky rubbers (I haven't liked the chinese rubbers I've tried out much), but I am willing to try anything that will give me better control. I also am not a huge fan of really light blades (I didn't like Joola Carbon when I tried it out)

TL;DR Can anyone recommend a good setup for an offensive player that likes to block/counterhit/attack that can help me work on my control and is somewhat forgiving when dealing with spin? I liked the blades and rubbers I specified above, but I am not sure what a good combo would be for my forehand/backhand


There are probably other ways to get to 1200, but if it is equipment you want to focus on, may be you should look into short pips. Might help with spin sensitivity.

As far as getting better control, I find it helpful to think about generating more spin and not trying to make every shot the last one. Hitting everything is a way to play, but could also be a reason for your inconsistency. At your level the one with fewer mistakes wins, so make sure to put the ball on the other side, does not have to be a screaming smash.

P.S. Yes, Iskandar's post was full of sarcasm. ;)

_________________
USATT: 1693| League: 1813


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 04:50 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 23 May 2017, 00:56
Posts: 6
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 time
Btw the rating is a rough estimate. I play with 1800-2400 players often and my form is good. I just haven't had much match play. That said I don't want anything too fast so I can work on my control. I'll consider Rakza 7


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 04:55 
Offline
Super User
User avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2013, 00:48
Posts: 972
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 275 times
Been thanked: 199 times
Blade: VKM ST
FH: VS>401
BH: Air UpUpUp 1mm
lanuk wrote:
Btw the rating is a rough estimate. I play with 1800-2400 players often and my form is good. I just haven't had much match play. That said I don't want anything too fast so I can work on my control. I'll consider Rakza 7


Understood - but to be honest rating is only loosely correlated with form (good form might lead to good rating down the line). Winning ugly and all.

Interestingly enough, I don't know a lot of 1000-level players that regularly play with 2000+ folks, forget about 2400. It's probably not that enjoyable for both parties.

_________________
USATT: 1693| League: 1813


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 05:33 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 08 Apr 2015, 11:50
Posts: 696
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 81 times
I vote for the sweden extra and vega europe. Way under budget, less than $100 if you order from tabletennis11.com.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 06:27 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 23 May 2017, 00:56
Posts: 6
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 time
pgpg wrote:
lanuk wrote:
Btw the rating is a rough estimate. I play with 1800-2400 players often and my form is good. I just haven't had much match play. That said I don't want anything too fast so I can work on my control. I'll consider Rakza 7


Understood - but to be honest rating is only loosely correlated with form (good form might lead to good rating down the line). Winning ugly and all.

Interestingly enough, I don't know a lot of 1000-level players that regularly play with 2000+ folks, forget about 2400. It's probably not that enjoyable for both parties.


That's fair, and "good form" is pretty subjective. I play a pretty good attacking game given a ball I can attack. With my 2000+ friends I don't often play matches with them, but I have gotten really consistent in warming up hitting fast flat shots, loops, and blocking to the point where they don't get bored of me too easily. I think if I improve my early game (pushing, serving, returning serve, etc.) and stop freaking out during matches my rating could be a couple hundred points higher than 1000.

As it stands now, on a really good day I can beat a 1500 player but on a really bad day I could even lose to a 1000 player. That needs to change lol


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 06:36 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 23 May 2017, 00:56
Posts: 6
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 time
BRS wrote:
I vote for the sweden extra and vega europe. Way under budget, less than $100 if you order from tabletennis11.com.


Thanks! The Sweden Extra definitely looks like a good choice to slow down my game and add some control to it. Just want to point out that I am totally open to trying other rubbers than what I listed, if anyone has suggestions to what might go good with this blade (or Yinhe W-6 which many have also recommended to me).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 08:05 
Offline
Goes to 11
Goes to 11
User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2014, 20:27
Posts: 6004
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 708 times
Sarcasm aside... if you're REALLY rated 900-1000 (USATT, not RC - a RC rating would be a lot lower than the equivalent USATT rating) then there'd be no way you'd be holding your own against 1800-2400 players. I mean, you'd hardly get any serves back to begin with, unless they're deliberately playing down to you. A 1500 player isn't exactly the pinnacle of perfection, but I would expect a 1500 player to beat a 1000 player about, say, 98% of the time (unless the 1000 player was one of these rapidly improving juniors who gets coaching and hasn't played in a tournament for a few months, in which case he/she is not really a 1000 player). A real 1000 player would look quite awkward and would miss a lot of balls. So maybe you're rated a lot higher than you think you are (go play some tournaments and find out - they're great fun!). When I think 2400 player, I'm thinking someone just one level below Danny Seemiller - such a person would just wipe a 1000 player off the table, the 1000 player wouldn't get a single loop back.

As for the bat - unless you ARE 1700-1800+ I'd suggest staying away from anything rated OFF- or faster. Anything ALL to ALL+ would work (the Sweden Extra sounds good, a lot of people seem to recommend it - then again, so would a Sanwei M8, which would cost you all of USD9, delivered). Rubbers matter a lot less than a lot of people make them out to be. But the consensus seems to be that for a developing player, using something too fast will cause the development of "gimpy strokes". In other words, while there are thousands of bat combinations that will work, there are quite a few that can actually HURT. So you might be better off with Sriver or Mendo rather than one of these newer "glue effect" rubbers, even though the latter might feel better for looping. A blade and rubbers won't magically increase your ratings 200 points - for that you need some actual practice and coaching. But then, it's your money, and as I've often been saying these days, hey, if you want to try something and can afford it, why not? :lol:

Iskandar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 08:27 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 23 May 2017, 00:56
Posts: 6
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 time
iskandar taib wrote:
Sarcasm aside... if you're REALLY rated 900-1000 (USATT, not RC - a RC rating would be a lot lower than the equivalent USATT rating) then there'd be no way you'd be holding your own against 1800-2400 players. I mean, you'd hardly get any serves back to begin with, unless they're deliberately playing down to you. A 1500 player isn't exactly the pinnacle of perfection, but I would expect a 1500 player to beat a 1000 player about, say, 98% of the time (unless the 1000 player was one of these rapidly improving juniors who gets coaching and hasn't played in a tournament for a few months, in which case he/she is not really a 1000 player). A real 1000 player would look quite awkward and would miss a lot of balls. So maybe you're rated a lot higher than you think you are (go play some tournaments and find out - they're great fun!). When I think 2400 player, I'm thinking someone just one level below Danny Seemiller - such a person would just wipe a 1000 player off the table, the 1000 player wouldn't get a single loop back.

As for the bat - unless you ARE 1700-1800+ I'd suggest staying away from anything rated OFF- or faster. Anything ALL to ALL+ would work (the Sweden Extra sounds good, a lot of people seem to recommend it - then again, so would a Sanwei M8, which would cost you all of USD9, delivered). Rubbers matter a lot less than a lot of people make them out to be. But the consensus seems to be that for a developing player, using something too fast will cause the development of "gimpy strokes". In other words, while there are thousands of bat combinations that will work, there are quite a few that can actually HURT. So you might be better off with Sriver or Mendo rather than one of these newer "glue effect" rubbers, even though the latter might feel better for looping. A blade and rubbers won't magically increase your ratings 200 points - for that you need some actual practice and coaching. But then, it's your money, and as I've often been saying these days, hey, if you want to try something and can afford it, why not? :lol:

Iskandar


Sorry, I guess I never mentioned that I am not actually rated (it is just a rough guestimation). I underestimated in hopes people wouldn't throw really fast setups at me like usual, but I guess that's what I ended up looking at anyways. I'm not new to the world of table tennis, I know what a 1500 player is, and I know what 2000+ players are. I have played with many of them. From time to time I will beat 1500 level players, but sometimes I lose to lower rated players as well. Seems absurd, but it happens. Depends on the opponents style and my mentality (I am horribly inconsistent).

I'll look into Sanwei M8 and Sweden Extra. I am also considering Yinhe W-6 but that might be a bit on the fast side. I get that I will need practice with the new blade, but my current setup is far from ideal for me (I typically have a better time playing with any other racket someone at my club hands me than my own).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 09:38 
Offline
003 Style Master
003 Style Master
User avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 20:23
Posts: 1978
Location: South Australia
Has thanked: 216 times
Been thanked: 220 times
Blade: Donic Appelgren AllplayV1
FH: Donic Baracuda
BH: Xiom Vega Europe DF
I'm currently using Sweden extra with Baracuda and Vega Europe DF. I find it fine. My level is around 1200 US, maybe a fraction more. My rubbers are not max, they are 2.0mm so don't be afraid to go slightly thinner.

You could consider going back to basics as a starting point. A classic ALL/ ALL+ blade with classic rubbers such as Mark V, magic carbon or Xiom musa.

A good cheaper option is Mars II 33deg. Not that fast but does everything you want. If you can't beat your opponent's with it, a faster bat won't help.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

_________________
Donic Appelgren Allplay Senso V1, Donic Baracuda 2.0mm ,BH Xiom Vega Europe DF 2.0mm
Yasaka Extra, Nil, Nil
Sunflex Hurricane, Milky Way 955 LP OX , 729 802-40 2.0


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 11:33 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 12 Oct 2016, 01:31
Posts: 21
Location: Vancouver
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times
lanuk wrote:
I am also considering Yinhe W-6 but that might be a bit on the fast side. .


W-6 is definitely not a fast blade. More like a slow Euro type looping blade. Another good choice from Yinhe is the E-3. A very nice soft feeling All+ blade.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_po ... s-compared


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 11:38 
Offline
Goes to 11
Goes to 11
User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2014, 20:27
Posts: 6004
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 708 times
The W6 is actually pretty slow, but is well regarded as a looping bat. It's supposedly a copy of a popular Yasaka blade (I forget which one). The M8 is what I currently use, it's very, very nice despite the price, and don't let the "Junior" designation put you off. Here's a couple of links:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-sel ... 22548.html

(Still under nine bucks! Get two or three, ask for similar weights.)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origina ... 53294.html

Price is higher but free shipping.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Sh ... 20589.html

Batwings combo

Iskandar


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lecridupongiste and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright 2012 OOAK Table Tennis Forum. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group




Don't forget to 'LIKE' our forum on Facebook if you enjoy the content: