OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 19:48 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I've been asked by someone to put together a "long pips racket", the long pips being a sheet of OX and the blade being fairly expensive. The last couple times I did it it didn't turn out as well as I thought. The first time, I used water based glue on the blade only, and ended up with a lot of tiny air bubbles under the sheet. The second time.. well, I found that Elmer's rubber cement really does NOT work very well with OX long pips! Though I did manage to get the sheet on eventually....

So.. should I go with water based again, or should I (as I've read a lot of people say) use a glue sheet?? If so, should I get the Andro (from Presports) or Der Materialspezialist (from Tenryu)? The price is about the same. Presports HAD Xiom gluesheets, but not any more.

Which was the one which stuck fast to the rubber but a lot less to the blade, allowing you to remove and reattach OX sheets??

Iskandar

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 20:21 

Blade: Yinhe 980XX
FH: Yinhe 9000D
BH: Yinhe 955 0.7mm
I've tried the Donic glue sheet to stick my LP OX before. It's really easy to stick, way easier than TT glues. It has 2 sides, one side is super sticky while the other side is less sticky. I stick the stickier side to the OX then the less sticky side on the blade. It held on pretty well on the blade but also easy to remove when replacing the rubber, and since the stickier side is on the OX side it held on to it and not the blade. The only con I observed is that the sheet is almost non-reusable once you remove it from a blade as it losses much of its stickiness in which it also makes your LP OX worthless, unless it's OK for you to stick it with TT glue with the glue sheet still on it because it's really impossible to remove. Also, a piece of advice, make sure you seal the blade before sticking the glue sheet to the blade.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 20:55 
Super User

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s6xCE8T0-VI

No glue sheet for me. I use above method with water based glue and it works a treat - every time! :up:

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 21:51 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
TTbuddy wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s6xCE8T0-VI

No glue sheet for me. I use above method with water based glue and it works a treat - every time! :up:

I confirm and agree this works 100% of the time. I have used this same technique for OX rubbers :-)

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2017, 15:11 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Yup, I used the wax paper method the first time I tried it. Problem was the little itty bitty bubbles under the sheet. Yes, I did go over it with a pin to get rid of the bubbles (old model airplane covering trick by the way)... It was still quite fiddly. And if you EVER get the sheet sticking to itself... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2017, 15:28 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I assume you've seen this method? http://tabletennis-reviews.com/gluing-a ... el-new-way

You need to use thin water-based glue for this, works very well though, I always use this method for OX pips.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 16:55 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Well, this is interesting. I unwrapped the rubber (Cropcircles) and what did I find? There's already a glue sheet on the rubber!!!!! There's a white piece of paper which should be removed from the back, after which the sticky side is exposed and you can apply it to the blade...

Except... um, no instructions. So do I need to apply glue to the blade first, or will the adhesive hold on fine to bare wood?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 16:58 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
Isn't one side of a glue sheet supposed to be strongly bonded to stick to the wood ? And the other weakly glued to the rubber so you can remove the rubbers ?

I have no experience with glue sheets :P :-D

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 17:06 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

man_iii wrote:
Isn't one side of a glue sheet supposed to be strongly bonded to stick to the wood ? And the other weakly glued to the rubber so you can remove the rubbers ?

I have no experience with glue sheets :P :-D

The other way around, actually. This one's already stuck to the rubber so no choice about sides, but I still need to know if I need cement on the blade or if it'll stick to bare wood. I suppose with glue sheets you don't need adhesive on the blade so I'm leaning that way. Yes, I've varnished it.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 23:25 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
I've only glued Ox Long pips once. I used the method as described by Haggisv. The glue sheet went on the pimples themselves which made it very easy to handle then glued as though it was inverted. Easy ! :clap: :clap: Glue sheet then peeled off with no residue and was ready to use for next time.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 00:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
genrel001 wrote:
I've tried the Donic glue sheet to stick my LP OX before. It's really easy to stick, way easier than TT glues. It has 2 sides, one side is super sticky while the other side is less sticky. I stick the stickier side to the OX then the less sticky side on the blade. It held on pretty well on the blade but also easy to remove when replacing the rubber, and since the stickier side is on the OX side it held on to it and not the blade. The only con I observed is that the sheet is almost non-reusable once you remove it from a blade as it losses much of its stickiness in which it also makes your LP OX worthless, unless it's OK for you to stick it with TT glue with the glue sheet still on it because it's really impossible to remove. Also, a piece of advice, make sure you seal the blade before sticking the glue sheet to the blade.

Over the past 7-8 years I have used more than 100 Donic glue sheets for attaching OX LP and sponged rubbers. When affixed to a clean, glue-free blade I can routinely re-stick a sheet of rubber to a blade 10 or more times before the less sticky side starts to lose adhesion. The more sticky side has never released from the rubber, sponged or OX.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 01:48 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Ok that decides it then. I will stick it to the bare blade.

I know others here have used Cropcircles and other Giant Dragon OX sheets, I'm surprised no one's seen fit to mention the pre-applied glue sheet. Surely it makes applying the rubber easier.. the combo seems a lot stiffer than other OX sheets I have applied in the past.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 09:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Ok that decides it then. I will stick it to the bare blade.

I know others here have used Cropcircles and other Giant Dragon OX sheets, I'm surprised no one's seen fit to mention the pre-applied glue sheet. Surely it makes applying the rubber easier.. the combo seems a lot stiffer than other OX sheets I have applied in the past.

Iskandar

GD used to supply an unattached glue sheet of dubious quality with their OX sheets. If their glue sheets now come pre-attached to the OX rubber then that's a relatively recent development, and not one that I'd necessarily welcome unless one could remove it from the rubber to support other methods of attaching it.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 10:24 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I guess we'll see how long it lasts... At least there won't be a need to change the rubber for a while, unlike with inverted sheets. I'll be sure to report back. If the glue sheet has the same properties as the Donic ones, then it would be ideal.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 13:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
I guess we'll see how long it lasts... At least there won't be a need to change the rubber for a while, unlike with inverted sheets. I'll be sure to report back. If the glue sheet has the same properties as the Donic ones, then it would be ideal.

Iskandar

I wear out OX LPs far faster than inverted rubbers. The bases of the pips begin to break.. look carefully with good lighting and magnification, if necessary, while pulling back the sweet spot pips in the direction they're usually bent when you play. Partially-severed pips cause inconsistent play and ball placement errors.