OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2017, 12:43 

What do you think about this combination?
I mainly chop against topsin like a chopper
But i wanna be annoying in the pushing game as well.
So with a pushed ball i can smack it with short pips, bump with long pips or hit with long pips.

How is this setup in theory for a chopper?

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2017, 13:51 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I played with SP/LP for quite a long time. It's a fun style. The advantages are:

- opponents less used to dealing with a SP FH will make more errors
- SP is great for hitting through weak returns
- SP is relatively easy to use to 'lift' backspin

There are, however, many disadvantages:

- There's not enough variation in spin between the two - so it's harder to load up the spin on the FH and then use it with the BH
- Your service reportoire will be more limited
- You're restricted to playing close to the table - SP lose their effectiveness quite quickly as you give your opponent more time
- You lack options with your FH - you can't do a genuinely slow spinny loop, and it's hard to hook or fade the ball from out wide
- Against stronger players who don't just make mistakes because pips, you lose one of the advantages and the impact of the disadvantages becomes more pronounced

That said, it's plenty of fun. If you wanted to try it out I still have a large stock of SP and LP rubbers you could have a go on.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 17:36 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
With spinny pips, you really don't lose a ton of spin variations. I use the SP/LP much of the time, for the chopping game. About the only thing you really give up are the heavy loops and those sorts of high spin shots.

Short pips can get a lot of spin. A host of male/female pros use short pips and do fine, so the spin capability is there. And if you don't like to loop much, then you can work those smashes in on high/weak balls instead. They're also a bit easier to chop with due to the lowered spin sensitivity.

Thomas Bennborn is one you can look for youtube videos of. He plays the same combo at a high level.

I think LordCope makes good points, but they apply more to attacking SP players than choppers. If you have the mindset of chop/push everything back, aside from killing high floaters... then it's basically just classic defense with a slightly less spinny forehand.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2018, 00:41 

Blade: Dr neubauer firewall plus
FH: Spinlord waren
BH: Tibhar grass dtecs
skilless_slapper wrote:
With spinny pips, you really don't lose a ton of spin variations. I use the SP/LP much of the time, for the chopping game. About the only thing you really give up are the heavy loops and those sorts of high spin shots.

Short pips can get a lot of spin. A host of male/female pros use short pips and do fine, so the spin capability is there. And if you don't like to loop much, then you can work those smashes in on high/weak balls instead. They're also a bit easier to chop with due to the lowered spin sensitivity.

Thomas Bennborn is one you can look for youtube videos of. He plays the same combo at a high level.

I think LordCope makes good points, but they apply more to attacking SP players than choppers. If you have the mindset of chop/push everything back, aside from killing high floaters... then it's basically just classic defense with a slightly less spinny forehand.

Hi
I just purchased the firewall plus love the feel of it although being very thick I think it will take some getting used to coming from a yinhe 980 defensive blade I have put waren sp on one side and not sure what to keep on backhand I’ve been trying another sp but will take much practice as been used to lp friend of mine mentioned Dr. Neubauer viper.
What would you recommend as someone who is used to this blade
Regards

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2018, 02:12 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
I also played short pips/long pips for awhile too, and I never quite got the hang of chopping with short pips. I have a very good forehand chop with inverted, but with short pips I could never get the high level of underspin that I can return with long pips (against loops) or generate through inverted (against anything). Maybe it was something about my technique, since, as we know, there are pros who use and have used short pips for chopping.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2018, 03:14 

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: RITC 802-1 OX
BH: Spinlab Vortex 0.5mm
I often chop on serve return, and I'm getting insane amounts of backspin with OX grippy short pips.

Opponents try but often fail to successfully attack it, even if they use LP.

I did not get this level of backspin with sponge.