OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2017, 23:50 

Hi.
The more I play with long pips (about 2-3years of playing) the more my game evolve.
Last time (2 months ago) I bought Nittaku Resist II, Joola CWX 0.5mm and Sanwei Target National 2.2. My style was a classical defence but as I play better and better (I lost about 15kg of my weight thanks TT so I'm a lot faster now) I play more and more offensive. I love chinese tacky rubbers at FH so there is a lack of speed at Nittaku Resist II. There is how my game looks like now:
-with good, offensive player, better than me I defend far from table, classical defence, with fh and bh and my blade is fantastic here. Occasionally loop, maybe once/twice a game. When my opponent doesn't want to attack, I loop. If he attacks I defend.
-with players at my level/worse than me, I play close to table/in a mid distance looking for a chance to attack with FH. And here is problem that from mid-distance there is definitely too slowly. Due to rubber tackiness speed of the ball is low and opponent counter my loops so often.
I thought to buy something like off- blade, maybe with carbon fibre, and try Joola CWX 0.5 or a cheap chinese LP without sponge. I know hard blades allows to get better deception and reversal. But what about speed? I met an opinion that OX/0.5 is sometimes faster with def (soft) blade than with off. Is it true or not? What should I do/try?

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 07:25 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
I would find it simpler to select a new FH rubber to suit an existing blade than to change blades to suit an existing FH rubber (and then possibly find that it doesn't suit my existing LP's).

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 16:16 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
I guess it's a technical issue here in the first place, preventing you from doing a hard&fast drive with your existing setup.
The next option at hand, once you have learned the fast driving stroke from the mid or long area, is trying to use a tuner,

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 22:09 

Existing rubber is nice because i can't play with european/japanese rubbers at FH. I will try Hurricane 8 maybe it will be a bit faster than STN but i'm not sure if it will be enough. My technique is good i think. I remind my blade is usual def...

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 22:30 
Super User

rocket222 wrote:
Existing rubber is nice because i can't play with european/japanese rubbers at FH. I will try Hurricane 8 maybe it will be a bit faster than STN but i'm not sure if it will be enough. My technique is good i think. I remind my blade is usual def...

Spinlord Marder IV might also be worth investigating? Somewhat tacky Chinese top sheet with medium-hard Japanese sponge.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 22:49 

I had Marder I or II and was worth nothing so i won't believe in any Marder anymore ;)

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 06:46 
Super User

May have been Marder 1 which has a lesser quality soft slow sponge. In any case good luck with your search. H8 might do it for you.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2017, 04:45 

OK guys, I decided to fulfill my internal need to test something new ;)
I'd try to describe what I want to buy:
FH: most tacky, durable and typically chinese rubber ;) probably H8. Or you have other advice?
Blade: Stiff, probably off-(?). Blade not slow (need to accelerate FH), but not too fast for LP. Preferably some DHS/Yinhe or maybe Sanwei.
BH: I want to try OX LP for the first time. I played a few times with my friend's DTecS on any Neubauer Def balsa blade but I need something slow to be able to take as fast blade as it's possible at my level (a few years of playing TT, 2yrs with LP) ;) However, I don't have knowledge about OX LP... If it "will not play" I'll try my CWX 0.5 on it too. Of course disturbing effect and reversal as big as possible ;)
I prefer chinese equipment because... it's cheap and quality seems to be as good as european stuff ;) Please advise me what to choose

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2017, 07:05 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
I am normally reluctant to give recommendations without a load of caveats, but..

I am so pleased currently with my H301 blade with H3 Provincial on the FH, that I have to recommend it. This is unboosted H3 with normal orange sponge, and is really not expensive, is easily available now and just, to me, feels wonderful. Tonight at my club, a Chinese player made special mention of how well I was hitting and spinning the ball with this combination. Of course, DHS rate the blade as Off++ or similar, but really, just about Off. certainly not much faster than my Primorac Off-. I have just ordered another H301 as backup. £30 on Aliexpress. And the most most typical tacky Chinese rubber is H3 surely. But much lower arcs when looping than H8.

Caveat is I have no idea how it plays with OX LP on the BH. And H3 takes a few hours to burn in.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 13:42 

I'd been playing with slower defensive blades the past 4 years, with ox LP on the backhand. Although it was never my main blade, I have a Resist II that I've messed with (I preferred 7-ply blades with glass fiber). Since the Nationals in July, I switched to a clone of a Stiga Clipper, the HRT Clipper 2091 (flared). 7-ply all-wood blade. I found that my control has remained about the same, but my speed is noticeably improved. I bought 4 of these blades from China for $15.50 each, and have tried various rubber combinations. I'm happier with P1-r (0.5) than I am with various ox pips that I've previously liked. I recently purchased a Stiga clipper (straight handle) and found no difference in performance between that and the clones.

USATT- 1832

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 17:17 

Nice to see your posts telling me that it's possible to play with OX LP on OFF blade :)
I played some time ago with my STN on Andro Treiber K which is in fact off- blade (not off) probably with arylate (blade is similar to ALC) and it was very nice. I could attack not only near the table but also from 2-3 meters distance without loss of speed. I had similar feelings playing a custom off- Hinoki blade... Even better feelings! :) However, isn't Hinoki a bouncy wood? I'm afraid it can speed up chop-blocks/pushes. If not I'd choose exactly blade with Hinoki outer ply ;)
For LP i think about Neptune, Ck531a (but i think those 2 can have to little reversal/disruptive effect) and Dornenglanz I or II (now I can buy Blitzshlag for 10$, when in a shop Spinlords are 20$)