OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 12:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2017, 06:19 

Hey,

I am currently using the following set-up.

Butterfly jonyer h-ii-an blade.
FH : mark v
BH : friendship 729

I can still use the mark v as it's in good condition but the 729 needs changing.

I am around 600-800 rating player. I am more of a passive player. Preferring placement rather than speed. What I need is a strong control & spin rubber for my backhand. What I think about my 729 was it was decent at spin and really great at blocking but a hint above average at control and had ok speed.

I was thinking of just swapping the 729 for something better but I am also willing to get a complete new paddle to complement my old paddle because I thought butterfly jonyer was a really average blade.

What do you guys think ?

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2017, 08:40 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I think there is nothing wrong with regular 729 or 729fx. At your level it should be perfect. In fact I'd prefer it over mark v.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2017, 09:26 

Yes I do understand there's nothing wrong with 729 but mine is old. There's lot of oxidation going on and I need to put a new rubber.

Instead of just getting a new 729, I thought I would get something much better which does the same thing as 729 but hell lot better.

Any suggestions ?

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2017, 11:45 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
What characteristics do you seek an improvement in?

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2017, 12:21 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
gunnerwholelife wrote:
Yes I do understand there's nothing wrong with 729 but mine is old. There's lot of oxidation going on and I need to put a new rubber.

Instead of just getting a new 729, I thought I would get something much better which does the same thing as 729 but hell lot better.

The 729 rubber (I assume it's the basic 729 or 729FX) is excellent for spin and control, it just lacks speed. No rubber will give you everything this rubber does + "hell lot better". Some rubbers will give you more speed (usually sacrificing control), some might be less sensitive to incoming spin (sacrifising spin ability), etc. It's all about trading off characteristics for other characteristics to hopefully benefit your overall game.
I would suggest that at your level, a new sheet (same rubber) will give you more spin and more consistant performance, so that's a good move and this won't stop you from improving further. I know some high level player still use this rubber, because the spin and control is so good, and they don't need a fast rubber as they can generate the speed themselves.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2017, 13:57 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Could you say where you would be looking to buy from and your budget?

Also what speed is your current blade?

Are you likely to be playing competition or just playing with friends? This is the key.

I'm wondering if you should perhaps just go for speed and spin and not worry about control. If playing with your friends only, I don't think they are likely to spin you off the table if you have a spin sensitive rubber however if you get something that is really spinny, you might be able to hit a few WOW shots however you might also miss a few that normally would go on. Does that matter? If you are looking to improve and develop it does, if you are just looking at having fun with your mates, probably not. Nothing gets a roar from mates like a power smash or super spin, even if the error rate is high. If you are just playing socially, too much improvement can actually be a curse.

So before the question of 'What do your want from your equipment?' gets asked, I think you need to ask yourself 'What do you want from table tennis?'

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2017, 15:37 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
gunnerwholelife wrote:

Any suggestions ?

Sorry if I was unclear. I'm not doubting that you need to replace an old rubber. I'm doubting that you can or should engage on a fruitless search for something better. If it were me, I'd buy two new sheets of 729 and replace both sheets. Very cheap. Consistently excellent quality. Will have heaps of spin and control, and at the level you describe on the blade you have will be plenty fast enough. Sorry that's not very exciting advice, but I think it's good advice.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2017, 03:32 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

New sheets of 729 can be had for $5 each, including shipping. This seems to be the best price from Eacheng at the moment:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RITC-72 ... 13352.html

This is the "Batwings" 2-in-1 packaging.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2017, 07:51 

Cobalt wrote:
Could you say where you would be looking to buy from and your budget?

Also what speed is your current blade?

Are you likely to be playing competition or just playing with friends? This is the key.

I'm wondering if you should perhaps just go for speed and spin and not worry about control. If playing with your friends only, I don't think they are likely to spin you off the table if you have a spin sensitive rubber however if you get something that is really spinny, you might be able to hit a few WOW shots however you might also miss a few that normally would go on. Does that matter? If you are looking to improve and develop it does, if you are just looking at having fun with your mates, probably not. Nothing gets a roar from mates like a power smash or super spin, even if the error rate is high. If you are just playing socially, too much improvement can actually be a curse.

So before the question of 'What do your want from your equipment?' gets asked, I think you need to ask yourself 'What do you want from table tennis?'

I would be buying in US - California.

My blade currently has average speed.

I play round robin tournaments 3 times a week. I think I am improving a lot.

I have all shots figured out but need to work on looping a underspin/backspin chops.

I really appreciate all the feedback. I will just stick with a new 729 rubber for now. Improve further then move on to better gear.

Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2017, 15:51 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
I'd tend to agree that perhaps stay with Chinese rubbers for another 12 months then go from there. It doesn't need to be strictly 729 though. There are quite a range of characteristics within the Chinese range.

For example, currently at Megaspin.net for $10 you can get the pretty standard 729 Super FX or Yinhe Earth or Mercury II. Then if you want a bit softer there is the 729 Supersoft. If you prefer non-tacky there is MarsII which I've personally used and think its a very good rubber. The advantage of this is that you don't need to be putting on protector sheets after every use to retain the tackiness as it is non-tacky to start with.

There are other more expensive options in the Chinese category but I think they will offer you anything more than the ones above. Yinhe Big Dipper on sale might be the exception.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2018, 10:25 

Hey,

I wanted to update. I changed my backhand rubber from old Friendship 729 Super FX to 729 OEM. I am liking it a lot. Thanks for all the help.

Now my forehand rubber Mark V needs to be changed too. I wanted help with it.

Should I get another 729 OEM or should I stick with Mark V only ? Is it ok to have tacky rubbers on both sides ?

What I noticed during my play is that the 729 OEM is much more spinier than Mark V ( Might also be due to Mark V being old too).

What do you guys think ?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2018, 03:46 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
I use 729 OEM a lot and have used 729 SuperFX a lot as well. Both rubbers last more than 2 years provided you take care of them.

729 SuperFX is much more tackier than 729 OEM. 729 OEM is just barely faster than 729 SuperFX. 729 OEM performs better and feels softer when serving, receiving, etc. 729 OEM seems to have a lower "throw" ... neutral ball will angle downward.

I think 729 OEM is better at pushes, blocks and smashing, but 729 SuperFX better for looping and counter-looping/loop-driving.

But both 729 rubbers are no match for all-round play like a well-maintained MarkV.

Steep angles of attack or chops DO NOT work as effectively on 729 harder chinese rubbers compared to what you can do with MarkV at a lower-level / beginner player.

729 requires a LOT of skill and development to continue using it effectively. MarkV gives the maximum potential and ability to develop without worrying about equipment.

I am a beginner level player so opinions will differ :lol:

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2018, 03:24 

Hey,

I was using Butterfly Jonyer H-ii paddle with Friendship 729 OEM 2.0 (BH) and Mark V 2.0 (FH).
https://butterflyindonesia.com/products/jonyer-h-ii

I messed up the paddle while doing a back spin serve (Hit the table and there's a huge dent at the top side ) and I can't change the rubber on it anymore as if I do, I will destroy the paddle.

I want a replacement paddle suggestion with the similar/same, speed/control.

Game style : Backhand dominant blocker/attacker. Counter loops with backhand aggressive block smash. Forehand loop oriented game. Close to table - Mid distance.

Can't order the same blade as it's discontinued afaik.

Would love some feedback.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2018, 04:22 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
If you can find it, the Yinhe M6 is a great blade for the short game because it is relatively hard. It blocks great and also loops well if you put some effort into it. It is low throw though so you will have to adjust your shot if you are used to looping something with a higher throw. It is also not bad when you need some speed but lacks the power if you play far away from the table. It is great if you play close to the table and occasionally step back a bit. I have used this with a Sriver, Mark V, IQ UL and 729 FX and found it works great with all, with some minor adjustments based on the rubber I am using. It is still one of my favorite blades.

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com